PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just in time for the NewYear! loud rattle started somewhere in the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Talking Just in time for the NewYear! loud rattle started somewhere in the dash...

Well as the title states lol just in tome for the new year a loud rattle has started in the dash somewhere in the middle to driver side.

This afternoon quick pulled the center stack and checked to make sure stuff was tight. Seems good.
Popped the covers for the dash access holes for the bolts and gave em a tightening.

checked with a flash light upper under the drivers section and there is zero amiss.

On a side note: the daystar dash unit pretty much sucks. Man has that thing gotten loose and sloppy. The extreme heat and cold here in WI. has pretty much F2cked it. Kinda disappointed as daystar typically builds quality stuff. OH yea and it makes a racket of its own...but not the noise i'm hearing from the dash.

As always I checked some threads first via Google and didn't really get to far with that.

So, anyone got any thoughts, practical experience...etc?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:46 PM

I have a very similar situation with my 2006 h3. When i start the vehicle i have a horrendous vibration coming from under the dash that sounds like a piece of plastic trim slapping against something. I've searched all over and cannot find the culprit.
Btw the noise stops after i warm the vehicle up or start driving.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Cool

Stops after warming up sounds like a heat shield. Sure it's not coming from under the hood?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM

Mine does something similar and is the heater core box vibrating, for the moment I just tucked a couple hand towels up between it and the firewall until summer when I can remove the dash and fix the thing. It's really annoying.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by talusfan
Mine does something similar and is the heater core box vibrating, for the moment I just tucked a couple hand towels up between it and the firewall until summer when I can remove the dash and fix the thing. It's really annoying.
Is that accessible by removing the glove compartment? I might need to throw a few towels in there as well.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM

Sound travels in mysterious ways. I had an annoying rattle that I swore came from the dash, it turned out being my belt tensioner in another car.
Check out your heat shield on the passenger side, it may be hitting something or check to see if the small nut is loose, I believe it is 10mm. Also just in case, I had another rattle that took me sometime to find and it was driving me nuts. Check the exhaust pipe where it bends over the rear differential. There is a small heat shield on the top part of the bend that is hard to see. The weld on mine cracked and I held it together with a stainless steel hose clamp. As of today, I'am rattle free.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM

It helps to remove it, on the drivers side you basically have put the seat back and crawl in upside down to get up in there. Tucking a few up between the heater core box and firewall fixed it for me temporarily until I can tear it apart.

Originally Posted by norinco3264
Is that accessible by removing the glove compartment? I might need to throw a few towels in there as well.