PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Artwork for Hummergirl4

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Default Artwork for Hummergirl4

Here's what I did over last weekend. She should have gotten it yesterday. I don't like to put up the picture until the customer sees it first. Hope everyone likes it, the tiny little details were a challenge, but I think it came out ok.
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ent=Harley.jpg

Old 03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Artwork for Hummergirl4

Trey: that is some nice....VERY NICE...work brud!

Tell me a bit more about the process. Is it entirely etched, is any of it a burned in image? Excuse my ignorance, but I am not any where near the caliber of Major Woody at the finer details of wood working. Maybe we should have voted for: "Sven, de woood werker" instead of Major Woody!!!

I've built many houses, put myself thru college doing framing and finish carpentry, but that is not on the level with art, not even close.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM

I sketch the image on a piece of paper, glue that to the 1/4" oak plywood. Drill holes where I have to make each cut. I use a scrollsaw which I have to take the blade apart thread it thru the hole, reattach the blade make my cut and than repeat that over and over again. I work from the center of the wood out so that there is no weak areas that could break, just by the vibration alone or me moving the wood around.
So it's all cutout and I apply black felt to the back once it is finished to make it pop so to speak. No wood burning at all, it's all in where I make the cuts to show shadows, etc.
I hope I hear from her soon, usually as soon as the person gets it they let me know if they liked it or not.
Maybe she doesn't like it and doesn't know how to tell me?!?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Oh forgot to mention after I finish cutting it out: I remove the glue and paper with mineral spirits. I use a blow torch on the back of the artwork to burn off all the jagged edges. I fine that this is the best way to get rid of them since I can't sand it or it would all break. I than stain it, apply the felt, attach the mat, sign it, put it in a frame, seal the back with paper so no dust can get in, and finally attach the picture hanging wire.
So you can see why it takes some time to get one of these done. It's a hobby and I like to hear people's comments about my artwork so it's all worth it.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Great looking piece. I still have to get the right picture to send to you. Haven't forgotten just no photo ops yet.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Not a problem, I usually get orders in bunches. I can go a month without anything and than all of a sudden I get like three or four custom jobs at once. So whenever you want me to work on one for you just let me know.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

That is very, very nice. I would have loved to see that one in person...

Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 AM

Trey, I am HONESTLY impressed with your TALENT!!!

WTF are ya doing hanging out with STAN??!!![:@]

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM

Hey Bob, thanks for the compliments, as for Stan I'd be crazy not to hang out with the guy who would bolt on any mod you have for your truck for a 6 pack of beer.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM

How much is that one of the two hummers going for???

Quick Reply: Artwork for Hummergirl4