PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Double Din

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Default Android Double Din

I was looking into purchasing an Android 4.4 Double Din to install in my 07 H3 with Monsoon Navi.
Particularly, I was looking into a Joying unit, but when I asked the company about compatibility, they told me that if I have a CAN bus, it's not compatible.
Anyone heard of that?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:39 PM

Toreador,

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am also looking at installing a Android double Din, Car PC, or just a standard double din.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:28 PM

What about one that supports Android Auto instead of running Android directly? Sure, it means you have to plug your Android phone in every time, but on the plus side every time you upgrade your phone or get a new one you are "upgrading" your head unit. Also, for an Android unit to work you will need to add a sim card and buy service or tether it to your phone.

I've been pretty happy with my MHL connected AppRadio 3 and an Android Auto appears to be a nice improvement. If I had to start over now I don't know if I'd go with an Android unit or Android Auto, probably Android Auto.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:09 PM

I have a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my 2008 H3
Once you root it (with Framaroot) you can install google apps on it.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 AM

I put this one in and would probably never install anything but Android. Ease of use and unlimited options via playstore.
Android 4 4 4 in Dash 6 2" 2Din GPS Nav Car Radio DVD Player 3G WiFi Stereo Cam | eBay
Only thing is I would probably get the 7 inch not the 6.2
I had to get wiring harness and dash install kit and looks good too.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Take a pic/movie of it in action please

Navigation
Some internet action - like youtube
Phone integration

I'd like to replace the radio/nav in my H2 OEM to something better

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 PM

I will try a bit later, I don't have a phone going right now but it links up via Bluetooth. I have linked tablets to it that way for music. The phone app is used for both calls and media playback. I believe the navigation is igo navigation. World maps all updated and can update everything via WiFi. I didn't get the 3g dongle so I don't have the deck hooked to cell service either right now. YouTube works well though.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Hey again, have a look in my album for pictures. Keep in mind that I am a horrible photographer. Glare and bad shaking..lol the picture is better than it appears on the screen. Also I didn't clean the screen or dash prior to pics..lol smudges from using at the time of pics.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM

@atari800

In regards to the Parrot Asteroid Smart, I have a couple questions regarding compatibility.

1. Will it support OBD2 to utilize the Torque app? I know it says it has Bluetooth for music, but if I use a Bluetooth OBD2 plugin adapter to the vehicle's ECU, will it connect?

2. Will the steering controls patch into the unit? I believe the 2008 H2's use CAN BUS language?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:04 PM

1. Will it support OBD2 to utilize the Torque app? I know it says it has Bluetooth for music, but if I use a Bluetooth OBD2 plugin adapter to the vehicle's ECU, will it connect?
--
Yes, I got a cheap ODB2 adapter from Amazon and Torque married up to it. I prefer DashCommander over Torque.
The Parrot is married to my Samsung phone (bluetooth) for calling and syncing up contact list. I WIFI TETHER off of my phone for internet access.
Who needs XM RADIO when you got TuneIn Radio
I side loaded the Google store onto this so I can download any app (within reason)

2. Will the steering controls patch into the unit? I believe the 2008 H2's use CAN BUS language?
--
My H3 is a base model and does not have steering wheel controls, however the "PARROT APPS" (not apps from google store, but apps for Parrot Marketplace app) exploit the device. Meaning, if I am listening to music, I can swipe up the screen to make it louder, swipe down to make it quieter, left and right to go to next song or previous.
There seems to be adapters for steering wheels:
Steering Wheel Controls - Parrot USA

Bonus info:
There is an app called ASTEROID TWEAKER that lets you really customize the functionality.
Set default volume when you start the car (so if you were jamming to music wiht volume at 20, you dont **** yourself the next morning when you got a hangover and are going to work)
Set volume levels at different speeds
Set to a low volume or mute when reversing
When you shut off car, have it go to sleep mode for a set amount of time before powering off (when you first turn on vehicle, just like a tablet it takes a while to boot before you can do stuff. SO if you go to the store and your in there 30 minutes, it would require a restart. Here I adjusted mine from 5 minutes to 1 hr. Now when I get back in my car, it looks for bluetooth and wifi instead of a total restart)
and a bunch of other stuff

A cool feature is if it detects movement, like a car door opening or closing or a trunk slamming, it will start a preload sequence so it wont take as long to boot

I wish it had a more powerful cpu and ram, it is a little slow if you got multiple apps open.
*However the RAM EXPANDER app from google store helps out alot

Quick Reply: Android Double Din