PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for GM or Hummer tech in Vancouver, BC area

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Default Looking for GM or Hummer tech in Vancouver, BC area

I just got a nasty $3K bill for replacing the cat assembly by the local GM dealer.

That is after 2 other local GM dealers failed to diagnose the problem with our H2, first one claiming it was plugs, then wires.
The 2nd dealer said it was heads. I had to figure it out myself, but then got a huge bill from the 3rd dealer who actually completed my requested cat replacement + 2 damaged 02 sensors associated with the passenger side plugged cat.

Can anyone help me find an independent repair shop in my are who does not charge the outrageous $135-$160 per hour labor?
Someone who has GM truck or Hummer experience and actually knows hot to diagnose and fix GM or Hummer vehicles?

I am in the Vancouver BC area (lower mainland). That is SW British Columbia, Canada.

Would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Need to service the air ride now, and dealer is asking for $2500++ parts and $$$ labor to repair it.
They are telling me to replace the entire air ride pump assembly vs just repairing whatever part is actually faulty.
So that is another $3K. Not prepared to dish that out.

Addendum: Tonight sprayed soap everywhere and found a leak in the passenger side airbag. So that was the actual problem.

Last edited by finall; 04-27-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 PM

When ever one takes their vehicle not under warranty to a stealership, they are looked down upon by corporate bred predators that smell only money. That individuals situation in life means nothing, just the color of money.

Your wallet, bank account, credit card was raped and you are a victim traumatized by greed perpetrated by accounting practices of men who feel nothing but the need to take every bit they can. Service is the name they label the activity so it looks legit to the victim when they fall into the lair of the predator.

So now after all that, I have to ask, did the cat and o2 fix, really fix the problem?

Did they give you the old cat back cause they are worth some money to junk dealers. Not enough to recoup cost but at least you get a couple a dollars back to buy some beer or wine and fall into a depression for a week or two.

To find a mechanic you can trust you have to seek them out. You let them work on the money pit machine and you have to ask questions before the work, like how much.

I use two guys who help me and both have their own shops. Both are close by and one has a tow truck if needed. I have towing insurance just in case and I always research the possible problem, throw it at the mechanix and than ask how much.

Craigslist in Vancouver can be a start if there are no local mechanix in your area. Just be sure to watch who you select off Craigslist. Some shady back yard mechanix throw out fishing lines to the ill informed and reel ya in.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/aos

Good luck and tell your H2 you love it everyday and keep that credit card and bank account loaded cause these money pits love that.

The air ride, switch to coil suspension for around 3-500 bucks and be done with the air ride.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 AM

I would buy new air bags and have someone install them for you. They are relatively cheap and easy to install. That is usually what is wrong with the air suspension. If you don't care about the air ride do like Lenny said and convert to coil springs. Check out Arnott suspensions in FL.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 AM

"So now after all that, I have to ask, did the cat and o2 fix, really fix the problem?"

- YES it did -

Drives like a completely different vehicle at high RPM range, and breathes easy all the way to redline. Much quicker. Much better on long hills or passing other vehicles, when you are doing 4000+ RPM.