PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

school me on sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Default school me on sunroof drain tubes

So I just bought a 2005 H2 SUT, and I have it narrowed down to the passenger front sunroof drain tube is clogged or disconnected. Here is the problem I ran weed eater string down the tube and it is still plugged. I poured maybe 6 oz of water down the tube and it is coming out of the grab handle, how is this possible, would it not just back up in the sunroof channel? If the tube is connected to the sunroof where is the water going, my logic is it would not drain so am I assume that the tubing is disconnected just below the drain port. I know it is not the marker light because it only leaks when I put water to the sunroof drain port, any help would to awesome...

Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 AM

You have pushed the tube off of the nipple on the sunroof.... so its just running down the inner corner of the headliner to the handle.

Not too tough to fix though. Pull the middle clips out of the grab handle and remove the handle. Pull the pillar trim that the handle goes over (careful of the wire to the tweeter). Pull down the rubber door seal at the top of the door. You should be able to pull the headliner down just enough to look in there and see the nipple at the corner of the sunroof frame and the tube that is no longer attached to it.

Easier to get to if you remove the sun visor but I very strongly suggest not attempting to remove the visor. That is one of the most infuriating things I have every tried to remove and ended up damaging how mine attaches.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM

^LOL!!

Definitely do not attempt to remove the sun visor. You will hate life and the rig during the process! I have taken them off without damage but it is one PITA.

As mentioned above, you need to check the full run of the tube. I also thought they connected directly behind the handle trim as well as the corner?? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

If you really really want to get to the other end of the front tubes.... Remove the wipers, then the entire cowling. They both come out under the the cowling panel at the base of the windshield. Also not a fun part to remove. Not terribly hard though but I was terrified I was going to crack or break it. Have to first remove the two end covers - they just pull up and off (clips on the bottom of them). Then you can remove the two end screws on the cowling. There are also a couple along the front edge. One the screws are out it is still held on by a couple of clips somewhere in the middle and you just have to pull and hope nothing breaks. It just barely will clear the wiper arm post.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the advice, I took the cowl off of my wife's hummer a few months back and I broke one of the tabs, hoping not to go that route again. MixmanSC thanks to you my brother for all the help on my wife's 06 awhile back, because of you I bought a 05 SUT for myself and i am pretty sure I can fix the problems with this one..And Lojac963 thank you for the awesome input, much needed

Old 10-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Would it be ok to put some silicone at the opening of the hole and just clog it so you don’t get the leakage?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Polish Hammer
Would it be ok to put some silicone at the opening of the hole and just clog it so you don’t get the leakage?
I would not do this, if you do the water will overflow the sunroof drain channel and enter the vehicle, it will spill over trust me this is what mine did when it was plugged