PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Some Info To Keep You From Getting Stranded In Your H2

Old 09-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Default Some Info To Keep You From Getting Stranded In Your H2

I'll Make this short as I can.. When you step on the brake you are able to shift from Park To any Gear Selection. If the Solenoid under the console should stop working...you are stuck in Park! I had a Failure several months back where that happened to me. STUCK IN PARK! Depressing the Break would not release the shift lever.

After puling up the console I found the 4 wire feed to the connector. One wire had broken of rendering the solenoid inoperable. The wire had broke to to the angle it enters the connector. That connector travels back and forth with the shift lever.

I made a Patch and was back in business. I called My Dealer. NuCar Chevy in New Castle Delaware and spoke with the Parts Mgr and asked if there was a Fix for this problem. He said that HUMMER had issued a Kit that comes with a New Connector which has heavy duty wiring already mated with the connector. It also came with Crimps to attach the unit to the existing wiring far back from the Flex point.

I just changed mine out today.. I would suggest you look into this kit I will list all the numbers on the bag. My H2 is a 2009. I'm not sure what years this applies too. But if you have time it is easy in the to remove the to console to look in and see if your wiring is about to let go.

Also..If you do get stuck all you need is allen wrench to remove the shift handle and a Phillips screw driver.
One screw at the bottom of the console when you lift the lid. Then Pull up to release the entire console from the snap clips.

Once you in there.. Look on the side of the lower shifter area and you will see what looks like silver button.. Pressing that in will release the Shifter from Park...that's if your stuck some where.

Any way here are the numbers from the parts bag. Not sure which one is the GM number.

W-14-115-c1

13583923....This might be the number

1358-3923

Connector WRG HR

Do yourself a favor and if you get some down time pull your console and check that connector at the shift housing.

I now carry an allen wrench and Phillips screw driver. You would think GM would have issued a Service Bulletin on this problem. I was Lucky..My Dealer had repair kit in stock.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Mark R; 09-22-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:36 PM

Also have a flashlight and magnetic pickup tool handy because it seem like roughly 95% of the time when you try to remove the console top part around the shifter that at least one of the metal clips that should stay attached to the top part pull off and fall down in there around the shifter somewhere.... At least that is how it is on my 2003.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Also have a flashlight and magnetic pickup tool handy because it seem like roughly 95% of the time when you try to remove the console top part around the shifter that at least one of the metal clips that should stay attached to the top part pull off and fall down in there around the shifter somewhere.... At least that is how it is on my 2003.

After I remove any panel ..I coat the clip and hole with "Silicone" Grease... The clips pop right in and out

Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 AM

I wonder if that is specific to 08/09s. This is the first time I have heard of this in all the years of being on multiple H2 forums.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 PM

I"ve heard of that causing problems on all years..... I think there may have even been a GM TSB regarding it at some point. You can hear the electronic solenoid click when you press the button on the shifter. There is another one in the steering column (steering lock) too - I think that one is when the ignition is in the on position and you press the brake pedal.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM

Before it stopped working were there any noticable changes that may give the rest of us a clue?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I wonder if that is specific to 08/09s. This is the first time I have heard of this in all the years of being on multiple H2 forums.
Good Point ...I have no knowledge of the older Shifter deigns in other years. Could possibly be different. Best thing is to check a service manual for that year an look at the exploded view of that area.

Thanks For the Post LoJac

Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I"ve heard of that causing problems on all years..... I think there may have even been a GM TSB regarding it at some point. You can hear the electronic solenoid click when you press the button on the shifter. There is another one in the steering column (steering lock) too - I think that one is when the ignition is in the on position and you press the brake pedal.
Wasn't aware of that one. My 09 has a Power tilt wheel ..so I'd have to Check my Service manual. Thanks for the Heads Up..

Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisH3
Before it stopped working were there any noticable changes that may give the rest of us a clue?

Hey DennisH3
L.O.L...I wish their was.. One day I got in and started it up and Na-Da. I think when I went from Drive to Park the night before the Feed wire let go that powers that solenoid. That hole connector travels back and forth with the wiring when you move the shifter. Back and Forth and eventually breaking from the constant flex.