PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans gone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Default Trans gone?

I hit something (or multiple somethings I am assuming) in the road last week. One piece went under the vehicle and the other piece went beside the vehicle scraping up the side pretty well before eventually becoming lodged between my wheel and causing it to blow.

I have no idea what I hit, everything happened quickly. Whatever it was flew off a passing truck. I didnt realize it was flattening my tire for a couple miles when my low tire light came on and I pulled over. After calling roadside out to change my tire (I didnt have the locking lugnut) my H3 was no longer working properly.

Here's what we have:

I babied it most of the way home, slooow steady pressure will get it up to 25mph or so in about a mile, and I could get it to 70 if I just kept easing on it.

Once I was near the shop I normally use I dropped it there and they test drove it (check engine light was finally on, but i'm not sure what the codes were - they just told me it was a trans issue) but the vehicle drove fine for them.

I picked it up and drove it the couple miles home, no issues at any speed/gas pedal down/etc.

Parked it to grab my wallet so I could put some fuel in it and when I went to leave I had no gears - it wouldn't go in D/R/nothing.

Shut it down and tried again a bit later, went into Reverse fine, but was not happy about going into drive at all (luckily I only had to move it about 30 feet). Went to put it back into Reverse and reverse was once again gone.

Tow truck came to pick it up the next day, all gears worked fine once again.

What is going on here???

Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Also - 2008 base H3 - approx 167,000 miles
recent oil change (within the last 2 weeks), recent trans flush (within the last 6 months), recent tune up (this spring)

Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Almost sounds like a linkage issue rather than an internal trans issue.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

You mentioned the CEL came on, but without posting the associated code(s), useless for us here.

Did you check the trans fluid level and color?

If you have never rebuilt your Trans, at 167K miles, you did very good.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM

If you sliced a tire you probably sliced the ABS line. Once the line is severed in any way multiple things will not work including the rig going into low power mode, inability to **** the transfer case and/or transmission, etc.

I would check those first.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You mentioned the CEL came on, but without posting the associated code(s), useless for us here.

Did you check the trans fluid level and color?

If you have never rebuilt your Trans, at 167K miles, you did very good.

Fluid level and color are good, we checked those first as I suspected damage somewhere causing a leak but nothing.

Dealership did just come back and say the shift linkage is broken as well as the evap line is severely bent up. I'm just hoping this is the only issue.

ABS light is not on and the ABS wiring near the tire did not appear to be damaged in anyway.

No CEL code as it wasn't passed on to me unfortunately.

167K miles but they are nearly all highway - it is my daily driver and I drive roughly 120-150 miles a day.

It is currently at the dealership since i ran it through an insurance claim as soon as it started acting up, I wasn't risking paying that all out of pocket as well as the rental while it was being fixed. They originally stated they didn't think any of this was due to the impact so I'm just trying to see if there is a chance it is all just due to whatever i hit.