PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Leak - Any common issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Default A/C Leak - Any common issues?

2005 H2 A/C refrigerant was very low and not getting very cool after refill. Oh yes I have heard some squeaking and squealing which has caught my attention in the past.

Before getting into this too deep can anyone suggest places to start looking. Here in UK its probably going to be a DIY fix or at least getting in the necessary parts.

A quick look on the furums suggests the A/C compressor and or the drier, I see there is a kit on ebay. Does anyone have any experience on A/C or replacing the compressor, is it a DIY job?

Any suggestions welcome!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 AM

The valve on the low pressure side of mine failed. Its a non repairable part, so the entire aluminum tube had to be replaced.

Tim

Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 AM

Thanks Tim.

Think I'll get the system pressure tested which should cover the part you suggested.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 AM

I find the compressor to be the most common source of leaking but overall GM builds a pretty good system. The compressor, accumulator, Orfice tube , oil and R134A should be all you need, if the compressor is your leak. UV Dye is the easiest way to find a leak

Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 PM

If you have a leak then look for an oil spot on the lines and all components of the system. The oil travels with the refrigerant so if the refrigerant is leaking then there will be an oil spot at the leak. If I cannot spot the oil spot then I use a soap mixture and spray on the system and let sit for a few minutes and then look for a patch of small bubbles (the system needs to have some pressure on it). I will usually pick up a bottle of bubbles from one of the local stores, the kind that you buy for the kids to blow bubbles with.

I would start by checking the service taps on the high and low side lines, there are plastic caps screwed on them and will leak over time.

I would find the leak and try and repair it before changing the compressor or anything else.

Worst case scenario will be the evap coil is leaking, its under the dash and can be rather hard to change out.

Neal

Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 PM

If the leak has been repaired and its not getting as cold as it was prior to the repair and re-charge the servicing may not have been done correctly.

Did your mechanic use service gauges to fill the system and if so do you know what pressures the system was at after filing with the system turned on and what were the conditions while servicing, air temp., idling or above idle was the system on high with the fan on high?

Neal

Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM

I would say everything... I have been fighting with my AC for years now. Every year or two it has some kind of issue
This year it did it again. Leaking at the condenser. Before it was the compressor and condenser.

Tharber, couldnt you just replace the shreader valve? or is it some other valve i am unaware of?

not to hijack, but has anyone left a AC temp probe in their air vents to measure the temps, and if so could tell me what the constant temp is on 3 bars of fan, and the air rec-circ?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Thank you all, your comments are much appreciated and I will be getting on to it soon armed with your suggestions, I'll feed back the results to the forum.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jsbihn

Tharber, couldnt you just replace the shreader valve? or is it some other valve i am unaware of?
The valve is non serviceable.

TH

Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 AM

Strange because I am almost positive I had my shreader valve pulled and replaced.

Oh well.

So at least we know that if the part fails, it is still out there

Quick Reply: A/C Leak - Any common issues?