Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   wiper motor keeps working w/ switch off... (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/wiper-motor-keeps-working-w-switch-off-25867/)

2004H2 10-31-2011 11:04 AM

wiper motor keeps working w/ switch off...

Its been raining all week here and ive been using the wipers off/on when needed, i have rain-x on the windows, so rarley do i need the wipers, came out today to go to work and they wont shut-off..........

They act like there in slow mode in the off-position, if i roll the switch to mist mode it works fine, as usual.........all slections work perfectly except the off..

Called Coral Hummer(2nd Home), they say the wiper motor is bad and has to be replaced.....$600.00 and allday to fix..:eek:.WTF??

I can't understand how the wiper motor can be bad, if the dam thing works???

I would think it would be the coloum switch, or relay............

The fuse is on the drivers side, next to door, im tempeted to put a micro switch w/fuse on the pannel so if i need the wipers ill have to flip that switch to get power for the wiper motor and operate as usual.....

I hate to due this.......:confused:

Im one of these, TK/Carrier Refer-machanics who like it done Right.....

Any suggestions...........

Thanks.......................Rick

2004H2
2006H3

bflorin 10-31-2011 12:02 PM

The module under the cowl got wet. Is it pumping washer fluid also?

Circuit board on that motors probably wet. Get to that board, dry it off, remove any corrosion fuzz/tracks on it. electrical grease the hell out of the board and put it back together.

olfart 10-31-2011 12:54 PM

it's usually moisture in the wiper module. The module is part of the wiper motor so the stealership will replace the whole thing. Had mine done under warranty and $600 is about right. If you can open up the module and dry it out and the coat the whole board...top and bottom...with something to keep moisture off of it such as silicone grease or liquid rubber you can probably fix it

2004H2 10-31-2011 07:06 PM

Thanks guys...............Im gona let it dry out a few days before i start messing whith it, went down to hummer and got the tear down sheet from there parts dept, the Module is $126.00 if i need it.............

My service rep gets a percentage $$$$ of repairs he brings into the shop....

That answers a few of my own Questions on the service/Price side of things....

Have a great day.......Rick

bflorin 11-01-2011 01:54 PM

You can let that sit as is for a week and its not going to dry out...there's no where for the water thats in it to go.

Buy some extra clips for the fake aircleaners and cowl- Your probably going to break a few getting that damn thing off. You'll see right away the motor, very bottom-forward is circuit board w/ cap covering it. Its like 3-4". Just pull it off and follow as we said above. I had corrosion fuzz and carbon tracks all over mine...

ohio4whlr 11-05-2011 12:18 AM

mine malfunctioned also, i removed the module cover and removed the water then filled it dieletric grease. it then malfunctioned a couple days later, i disassembled it all again and found that the motor casing seal was allowing water into the module. i resealed the module and the motor casing and haven't had a problem in 10 months

kooj 68 12-01-2011 08:00 PM

did it in my driveway took me about a hour . I wouldnt put elcégrease on it . pull it out blow it off. & seal it up around the edges before you replace it .

2004H2 12-02-2011 10:48 AM

up-date.....

a few weeks ago, i removed the fuse to the wipers and let them dry ouy for 4 days in the hot fla, sun.............it must have dried out on its own, replaced the fuse and has been working perfect ever-sience.....

still working fine today...............

have a great day...................Rick

H2 2004
H3 2006

Gleamor 12-10-2011 03:39 PM

Pretty easy to take them apart to dry, clean, and whatnot. As mentioned above the stealership is waiting on you for this one.

Its Hummer Time 01-20-2012 10:24 PM

Good info. Mine just started doing the same thing on the way into work in the rain. Wiping while turned off, acting all crazy with the speeds.

2007h3x 01-21-2012 08:48 AM

In the 3 years I've had my 07 H3, the wiper blades have just turned themselves on a few times. No rain, hadn't just turned them off....I would be driving down the road and just get a swipe....What is that about??? lol

Its Hummer Time 01-24-2012 12:31 AM

My back wiper went all berserk today and kept wiping and squirting windshield washer fluid till it was empty. I had to pull over and yank the fuses so I didn't burn out the washer pump. I hope this is related with the front washers getting water in them. Strange thing is that it wasn't even raining.

To pull the fake air cleaner covers off, do I just yank it? Any tips on how to remove them?

BCH2 02-06-2012 09:30 AM

There is a recall out there for the wiper motor cover. Mine was acting funny and would drain the washer reservoir and finally died completely. The stealership I took mine too actually replaced the entire motor for no charge, so I have to give them a bit of credit.

Recall info below:

Product Safety Recall-Windshield Wiper Motor Failure #02051
02051 -- Windshield Wiper Motor Failure
2003 HUMMER H2

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2003 model year HUMMER H2 vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition where the windshield wiper motor may fail during use because of improper manufacture. If this were to occur in severe weather, driver visibility could be reduced, which could result in a vehicle crash without prior warning.

Correction
Dealers are to inspect the wiper motor assembly, and replace if necessary.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2003 model year HUMMER H2 vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
Plant
From
Through

HUMMER
H2
Mishawaka
3H108481
3H113533

Important
Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) or GM Access Screen (Canada only) before beginning recall repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the recall bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow-up with customers involved in this recall. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the recall bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering requirements. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Motor, WSW

Retainer, Air Inl Grl Pnl

Retainer
If Req'd

2003 Hummer H2 Recall
Item Affected: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Date Announced: 2/6/2004

Description of Recall:
CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND PASSENGER VANS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 135, ?PASSENGER CAR BRAKE SYSTEMS.? SOME OF THESE VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH AN OUT-OF-SPECIFICATION BRAKE HYDRO-BOOST HOUSING RELIEF VALVE BORE.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS ARE TO REPLACE THE HYDRO-BOOST RELIEF VALVE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 18, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; GMC AT 1-866-996-9463; OR HUMMER AT 1-866-486-6376.

Find your local Hummer Dealer.

2003 Hummer H2 Recall
Item Affected: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR
Date Announced: 10/30/2002

Description of Recall:
CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES EXHIBIT A CONDITION IN WHICH THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR COULD FAIL DURING USE BECAUSE OF IMPROPER MANUFACTURE.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE WIPER MOTOR ASSEMBLY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 6, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT SATURN AT 1-800-553-6000, PROMPT #3 OR HUMMER AT 1-866-486-6376.

2003 Hummer H2 Recall
Item Affected: STEERING
Date Announced: 2/1/2006

Description of Recall:
CERTAIN FABTECH AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT PITMAN ARMS, P/NOS. FTS71000 AND FTS71001, INSTALLED FOR USE ON CERTAIN 2001-2006 GM C/K 2500 PICK UP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. THE PIN LOCATED INSIDE THE PITMAN ARM CAN SHEAR OFF DUE TO A REVERSE BENDING FATIGUE CONDITION, RESULTING IN A TOTAL LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL.

Action Needed To Fix It:
FABTECH WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE PITMAN AND IDLER ARMS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FABTECH AT 909-597-7800.

2003 Hummer H2 Recall
Item Affected: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Date Announced: 3/17/2003

Description of Recall:
CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 114, "THEFT PROTECTION." THESE VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH A MECHANICAL OVERRIDE THAT COULD ALLOW THE IGNITION KEY TO BE REMOVED WITH THE SHIFT LEVER IN A POSITION OTHER THAN PARK. IN ADDITION, THESE VEHICLES HAVE AN OVERRIDE THAT CAN ALLOW THE TRANSMISSION TO BE SHIFTED OUT OF PARK WITH THE IGNITION IN THE OFF POSITION.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL ELIMINATE THESE CONDITIONS BY DISABLING THE OVERRIDES. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON MAY 29, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537, OR HUMMER AT 1-866-486-6376.

Its Hummer Time 02-10-2012 05:54 AM

Mine a a 05 so not sure that recall covers mine. I already opened it up and dried it out so it works however now my washers don't come on. Sigh.......I might just buy a new wiper motor cap with the circuit board and be done with it.

olfart 02-10-2012 08:29 AM

When I had my wiper problem fixed ubder warranty on my 2004, the Stealership said the module and motor was one piece and was over $400. So you might have not be able to get just the board and cover