Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   under $200 roof rack (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/under-%24200-roof-rack-27256/)

mr.spooky 03-16-2012 06:10 PM

under $200 roof rack

4 Attachment(s)
Im not really a cheep kinda guy, but i like to think that im practical.
I decided that i wanted a roof rack, and i liked the "full size" ones then i found out that they were over 1k:eek:. In the end, I came to terms with myself that a roof rack is for one thing, so no matter what, or how it looks, if it can haul your sh#*, ones just as good as the other.
so far, I have just under $200 in my rack, and thats including lights.
The 1" tubing was $86.00, the lights (4 of them) was $111.00 thats $197.00. the expanded metal was free,,, the good thing about it is that its rubber coated,, the bad is thats a shade of orange GO VOLS lol.
heres some build pics.
Attachment 14436
Attachment 14437Attachment 14438Attachment 14439

1sBtrThnN0ne 03-16-2012 07:49 PM

Looks Good. Nothing wrong with saving money as long as it functions.

BLACKH3T 03-16-2012 07:56 PM

Looks good!

Just to tease a bit...you left off the price of the welder and the time to learn how to do it correctly ;).

mr.spooky 03-16-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKH3T (Post 274122)
Looks good!

Just to tease a bit...you left off the price of the welder and the time to learn how to do it correctly ;).

Your right, the welder is a stick welder at work.. I would much rather use a mig with gas, but a stick is all i have access to. As far as using it correctly, im just learning with it (stick), but no matter how novice I am with it, I also have a 4" grinder that can make any less than perfect looking weld look good. I can do alot better welds with a mig, but i dont have one ATM. Im not trying to say that my hand made rack is going to look as good as a profesional , machined one, but Im just trying to say that it can be done for alot less. Iv always hated paying for a name, when I can do something myself and get the same functionality from it, and a little self gratification.
Growing up, I ran just as fast with my chuck taylors as those guys did with their $200 nikes.................
jason

zderekv 03-16-2012 11:22 PM

you got me sold. it looks kick-ass on the shop floor, i'd love to see how it looks on the truck with the lights mounted.

2wheelmonster 03-16-2012 11:28 PM

It's all about doing the work yourself,not always about the price. Great job!!! Wonder how much you would get for it on ebay or some other site.

mr.spooky 03-17-2012 01:34 PM

thanks for the replies ! hopefuly ill have it ready in a few weeks.
jason

drtom 03-17-2012 06:13 PM

under $20!

my perfectly useable 4x8 plywood hauler made of 2x4 and carriage bolts was less than 20 bucks.
some guys actually said it looked good.
i called it cheep and ugly!.

oh no welds!,just holes for bolts

talusfan 03-18-2012 10:21 AM

Nice work, Like to see it when it is finished. I built my trailer for the same reason, my gobi though I got for under a hundred on clist.

mr.spooky 03-19-2012 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here is how im going to attach the rack to the roof. i welded these bolts to the flat metal.
Attachment 14422
they will look like this when installed minus the washer and nut,, they were just on there to hold it in place while i got a measurement
Attachment 14423
the rack has 2"X2"X 4" long square stock welded to it at six diferent places as the "legs" of the rack. the stock has holes drilled in them.. the studs will fit in the holes, then they will be attached with a washer, lock washer, and a locking bolt.
heres what im puting it on..Does anyone see a reason why this might not work?
Attachment 14424
thanks
jason