Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Transfer Case Fluid Level (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/transfer-case-fluid-level-15031/)

mfortuna 03-16-2009 04:59 PM

Transfer Case Fluid Level

In a few months I will be doing my 50K service on my 2006 H3. A sheet of paper that was tucked in the owner's manual mentions "you must refer to the service manual when replacing the transfer case fluid, filling to the bottom of the fill hole is not adequate"

I should probably buy a shop manual. I was wondering just what the special fill procedure is?

Thanks,

Mike

06 H3 Yellow (The school bus)

jens 03-16-2009 05:39 PM

Hello Mike,
the procedure I know is to fill up to the fill hole, then put the fill plug in and remove the speed sensor.
It's at the front of the transfer case and a connector is on it. Fill another 250ml fluid in and put the sensor back in.

That' it.

Greets,

Jens

Doc Olds 03-16-2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jens (Post 200680)
Hello Mike,
the procedure I know is to fill up to the fill hole, then put the fill plug in and remove the speed sensor.
It's at the front of the transfer case and a connector is on it. Fill another 250ml fluid in and put the sensor back in.

That' it.

Jens

This is right, but ONLY for 2006 and very early 2007 with a vin prior to 5GTDN13E778100102.

mfortuna 03-17-2009 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess they changed the fill plug location on later years?

Mike

06 H3 Yellow (The school bus)

07H3ADV 07-23-2011 11:29 PM

Is this the same on the Adventure model?

rsc 07-23-2011 11:41 PM

Yes, this applies to ALL H3's built prior to the VIN # listed above. Includes my early 07 Adventure too. Bummer that they put the fill plug too low in the first place, I hope that engineer got more than a stern talking to and a mean look!

drtom 08-05-2011 10:56 AM

future trbl,built in

this was posted elsewhere recently and is an ongoing UNFIXABLE nightmare that will plague many h3 down the road.
a guy buys a used h3,has it serviced by ?,himself,or any one,dealer,who is unaware of the problem in,,,"SOME",,,h3. it will go down the road,low on juice till the tc burns out.
knowing no better the guy may rebuild it,and repeat the process,again,,again.

probably how many cars "always"had a certain problem over the years.
without a permanent tag on the case,its a burnout waiting to happen,to many h3,right now.

just who is going to do a vin check ,in 5 years,at "joes tranny svc" or a gm dealer,if there are any left. sorry to be cynical,but i rest my "case"

shuda been a recall

rsc 08-05-2011 05:12 PM

My TC has a green sticker or mark by the fill port so if it goes to the dealer (not likely) they should (again, not likely?) know to check. I'm going to use a paint pen to add the instructions to the TC by the fill plug so if it goes to the local Jiffy Quick Lube place again and the kid decides to check fluids he might then know why all that "excess" fluid was in there (and hopefully put it back in! ) Grrr!

I have heard that the low fluid in the TC is a problem if you are out wheelin in 4Lo, not as much for normal use?

Mr. Fancy Pants 08-05-2011 05:17 PM

GM should come out with an adapter so you can swap the sensor with the drain/fill plug???

drtom 08-05-2011 05:35 PM

swap the sensor with the drain/fill plug???
nope,still nogo.u add 8 oz at the sensor, not filled up all the way.
i guess the guy who cares will put a note and a dvd in the glovebox!!
oh, and a link here!

oh, i think low fluid would be a problem anywhere,on the road