Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Tire pressure! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/tire-pressure-16205/)

bettrthntiger 07-08-2009 11:06 AM

Tire pressure!

Hello everybody. I recently purchased a 06 H3. The previous owner had put new tires on just a couple hundred miles before I bought it. (Lucky for me). They are Yokohama Geolander AT-S 265/75R16. Anyway, after I bought it, the Tire Pressure Monitor kept coming on. So I checked the tire pressure and it was set at over 65 PSI. On the door, it says they should be at 30. But I also read in the owners manual that aftermarket tires might not be set at the same PSI. Now the light only comes on if I'm on the highway for a while. Does anybody know the proper tire pressure or how I can find it? So i can increase the life of my tires. Any help would be appreciated.

vinny 07-08-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bettrthntiger (Post 206127)
Hello everybody. I recently purchased a 06 H3. The previous owner had put new tires on just a couple hundred miles before I bought it. (Lucky for me). They are Yokohama Geolander AT-S 265/75R16. Anyway, after I bought it, the Tire Pressure Monitor kept coming on. So I checked the tire pressure and it was set at over 65 PSI. On the door, it says they should be at 30. But I also read in the owners manual that aftermarket tires might not be set at the same PSI. Now the light only comes on if I'm on the highway for a while. Does anybody know the proper tire pressure or how I can find it? So i can increase the life of my tires. Any help would be appreciated.

65lbs sounds way to high. i could be wrong but they are usually between 20 and 40 lbs. what does it say on the tire. running over inflated tires will cause you to have a rough ride and premature wear on the tire. it will wear out the senter of the tire and the edges will look new.

bettrthntiger 07-08-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vinny (Post 206128)
65lbs sounds way to high. i could be wrong but they are usually between 20 and 40 lbs. what does it say on the tire. running over inflated tires will cause you to have a rough ride and premature wear on the tire. it will wear out the senter of the tire and the edges will look new.

On the tire it says something like 65 PSI for testing use only.

oruna1 07-08-2009 01:05 PM

Try 35-38 psi. That should probably work to shut off the monitors.

BLACKH3T 07-08-2009 01:51 PM

Like Oruna1 said I would put them between 35-38. My TPMS go off if i get below 35 so I fill my tires to about 38.

BRad 07-08-2009 07:48 PM

try 44

wookalar 07-08-2009 10:57 PM

Mine are at 44 psi and the TPM still signals. I think that its a common problem with GM Trucks (not just Hummers). I was in the shop today, getting my blower fan checked out, and I over-heard a lady explaining her problem with the TPM on her 07 Tahoe.

Doc Olds 07-09-2009 12:11 PM

Read the tire sidewall! Geeze, this ain't rocket science.

TPMS issues are almost always 100% operator error. How much cerebral action does it take to inflate all four tires to the same PSI cold?

BTW, 44PSI is to much, and 65 is insane.

If you set all four to exactly 38PSI, it will be a non issue.

I run my MTZs at 40PSI because I am trying to keep my MPG up with the increased size. Rides a bit rougher, but the MPG is about the same as the Duelers at 38PSI.

The spare is not monitored so it doesn't matter what's up with that.

Sonic Boom 07-09-2009 12:56 PM

I notice that in your post you also mention that the TPMS light only comes on after running at freeway speed for a bit. You definitely need to set the tires to a more sensible pressure but also be sure to reset your TPMS by following the instructions in your owners manual.

After I installed new tires on my H3 the TPMS system light would come on after running on the freeway for a bit even when the tires were inflated properly. That issue went away after I reset the TPMS.

H3 Hummer 64 07-09-2009 02:10 PM

Not sure when they changed it but my 2006 H3 has a sensor in the spare. Check to see if the valve stem is silver. If its silver than the spare is monitored too.

Doc Olds 07-09-2009 03:21 PM

I'll say it again, the spare is not monitored!!

I did not say the spare did not have a sensor. The truck can only recieve FOUR signals. If you rotate in the spare, you have to program in the spare. Check the manual on the proceedure.

Don't believe me, go let 20#s of air out of the spare and see what happens. Nothin, it is NOT in the loop.

Emptys_H3 07-16-2009 11:21 AM

I recently had gotten a set of 5 tires KM2's 305/70-16 installed on my stock wheels. The past few mornings my TPMS low tire indicator goes off and after about 10 minutes of driving it is gone. I checked the psi in ther front tires were at 31 and the rear + spare was at 32 cold before driving. I just stopped at tire shop and have them fill it up to 38psi all around. The numbers I have are just borderline cold psi to set off the low tire indicator.

NJTEX 07-16-2009 11:57 AM

Does anyone have the Adventure Package? I'd like to know what the factory recommended tire pressure is as listed on the driver's door jam.

I just upgraded to 285's and am curious about the factory specified pressure.

bflank 07-16-2009 02:16 PM

I believe the manual says 34psi, but like everyone else I have had the best success running it at 38psi.

azaussie 09-21-2009 08:17 AM

I'm running 38psi in all 4 tires and I get "SERV TPM" signal on most trips. Sometimes as soon as I start the truck up and other times after I have been driving awhile. The tire pressure symbol does not come on so is this a potential problem with the sensors? I tried to reset the TPMS but the horn did not chirp after letting air out of the front drivers tire for 10 sec. Steps prior to that one were as expected. Bad sensor(s)?

08H3 09-21-2009 11:15 AM

I'll comment again as already noted, the spare is not monitored. If you've somehow managed to get the truck to recognize five tires in the TPMS learn sequence, then you're a genius. It just can't be done if you follow the steps in the manual. It was also mentioned that 44 is too high. It's not. I run mine at 50 psi -- the rated maximum and the wear is great. Ride is only slightly harsher. I have a good friend who is a Goodyear dealer that recommended running at the max for wear and mileage and have not been disappointed. I too was skeptical at first, but the guy has been there since before I was born, so he does know tires.

azaussie 09-21-2009 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3 (Post 209428)
I'll comment again as already noted, the spare is not monitored. If you've somehow managed to get the truck to recognize five tires in the TPMS learn sequence, then you're a genius. It just can't be done if you follow the steps in the manual. It was also mentioned that 44 is too high. It's not. I run mine at 50 psi -- the rated maximum and the wear is great. Ride is only slightly harsher. I have a good friend who is a Goodyear dealer that recommended running at the max for wear and mileage and have not been disappointed. I too was skeptical at first, but the guy has been there since before I was born, so he does know tires.

08H3 - does this have anything to do with my question about the "SERV TPM" error message I'm getting or are you responding to older questions in this thread? For interest sake I will bump the pressure up to 50psi and see if the message goes away. For what it is worth I ran my street tires on my bling, bling rims at 35psi and never received an error message (the blingy rims have newer sensors).

08H3 09-21-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by azaussie (Post 209432)
08H3 - does this have anything to do with my question about the "SERV TPM" error message I'm getting or are you responding to older questions in this thread? For interest sake I will bump the pressure up to 50psi and see if the message goes away. For what it is worth I ran my street tires on my bling, bling rims at 35psi and never received an error message (the blingy rims have newer sensors).

I was actually referring to older comments in the thread. Try letting air out for more than 10 seconds when doing the TPMS relearn. I usually have to let about 20 seconds of air out before it chirps even though the manual says 10 seconds. If that still doesn't do it, they I would say a bad sensor.

azaussie 09-21-2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3 (Post 209433)
I was actually referring to older comments in the thread. Try letting air out for more than 10 seconds when doing the TPMS relearn. I usually have to let about 20 seconds of air out before it chirps even though the manual says 10 seconds. If that still doesn't do it, they I would say a bad sensor.

I'll give that a try.

azaussie 09-21-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3 (Post 209433)
Try letting air out for more than 10 seconds when doing the TPMS relearn. I usually have to let about 20 seconds of air out before it chirps even though the manual says 10 seconds. If that still doesn't do it, they I would say a bad sensor.

Well that did the trick (I hope) - 20 secs per tire and the horn chirped on all 4 wheels. I drove around the block and the "SERV TMP" went off. Thanks.

AirborneTNT 10-22-2009 08:18 PM

I have the same problem. My valve stems are green but the Hummer has 265"s on it and the door tag says it came with 285"s so check and make sure your what size tire your Hummer is suppose to have. Also a guy I know works at a dealership says the Hummers are really bad with TPS going bad. I just keep check on my tire pressure roll on.