Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Tire Changing (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/tire-changing-33159/)

dowork 05-18-2014 04:31 PM

Tire Changing

Hi guys -

I have new 20'' wheels and 37" tires but haven't yet purchased a full size spare to go with my new setup. In a pinch would I have any problems if I had to throw on my old stock spare (17" wheel 35" tire)? Just to limp home.

Couple more related questions:

1. Can someone recommend a good high-jack, I want to mount it to my roof top rack. Other tire changing tools as well, recommendations please.

2. Is the stock built in compressor in the back of my rig powerful enough to run an impact wrench to change tires? (I'm guessing not at all lol)

Thanks

dowork 05-19-2014 12:02 AM

Bump.

Signal25 05-19-2014 01:03 AM

All I can say is dont run different size tires on a 4wd system.

calif phil 05-20-2014 07:44 AM

The air compressor system has no volume and will not run an impact wrench.

I think a few miles on a mismatched spare would be OK but not much more.

Bunger 05-20-2014 01:12 PM

For a jack look at hilift: Hi-Lift Jack Company - Highest quality equipment at a reasonable price

They're available all over from online retailers for about $70 to $120, so shop around.

Kirkhayes37 05-20-2014 02:39 PM

I know on some other cars, using a small spare tire or temporary donut tire can cause the traction control light to come on at times. And even sometimes limits power output of the motor. Not sure how our H2s deal with a smaller spare tire. Google "spare tire affects traction control".

So, I suppose you could "limp" to a service station...but I could see where any distance driving would be hard no the drive system... Just guessing.

Glad my spare tire.wheel are the same size... If you have the $$$$ get a full size spare tire and wheel and hang that sucker on the back..it would look very cool. Plus you can always keep the spare in the rotation of the tires...

BTW....love the look of your H2.. About the best looking one I have seen

dowork 05-20-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kirkhayes37 (Post 312981)
BTW....love the look of your H2.. About the best looking one I have seen

Really? Cool thanks! I might put the spare on the top rack, cheaper than buying the rear gate mount and I like the look of it on top.

Originally Posted by Bunger (Post 312980)
For a jack look at hilift: Hi-Lift Jack Company - Highest quality equipment at a reasonable price
They're available all over from online retailers for about $70 to $120, so shop around.

I just ordered one from Amazon along with their offroad recovery kit so it can be used as a winch. Thanks!

H2CANEPADESIGN 05-21-2014 01:11 PM

Do not drive with a different size tire on a AWD/4X4 system. Limpin a block is one thing but getting up to speed on the street is another. you will damage your drivetrain. don't do it.

elkgrunt 05-21-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN (Post 313043)
Do not drive with a different size tire on a AWD/4X4 system. Limpin a block is one thing but getting up to speed on the street is another. you will damage your drivetrain. don't do it.

I agree with this, could cause a lot of damage.