Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Temperature issue-very frustrated (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/temperature-issue-very-frustrated-38670/)

Shauna Makuch 08-12-2017 02:00 PM

Temperature issue-very frustrated

Hi there, I have a 2007 H3 and for a while now my temperature gauge has been climbing to the 3/4 mark when stopped (stop lights, traffic) and while running in park. It has a new radiator, fan hub and thermostat....any other ideas as to why we are unable to resolve this issue....I'm at my wits end.

MixManSC 08-12-2017 04:27 PM

That seems reasonably normal to me. When you are not moving the engine is turning a lot slower so the fan in turn is also moving a lot slower and simply cannot move as much air across the radiator. As long as its not going much past 3/4 where it starts getting close to the red zone then I'd think that would be fine.

Nothing you replace is going to prevent it from getting hotter when there is hardly any air moving over the radiator. If it really bothers you the only real option would be to add an auxiliary electric fan and have that setup to kick on at about 200 degrees engine temp. Another benefit to that is your ac will blow a lot colder when sitting too.

woodwardsh3 08-12-2017 08:29 PM

Buy or barrow a Laser Temperature Non-Contact Thermometer Gun and see how accurate your temp gage is.

BruceS 08-13-2017 07:31 PM

I gutted the thermostat and then installed a 185 inline thermostat on the top hose. Also installed and aux pusher fan. Normally hangs around 185-190 on very hot humid days in stop and go traffic with ac on. Also installed wideflow runcool louver on hood to let out engine heat.

Mine is 07 h3 with i5 auto

happythree 08-13-2017 08:39 PM

my i5 2010 never goes up to midline. checks with obd2 reader.
left shroud off when i did rad change.

Doc Olds 08-14-2017 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shauna Makuch (Post 346373)
Hi there, I have a 2007 H3 and for a while now my temperature gauge has been climbing to the 3/4 mark when stopped (stop lights, traffic) and while running in park. It has a new radiator, fan hub and thermostat....any other ideas as to why we are unable to resolve this issue....I'm at my wits end.

3/4 on the dash temp gauge is NORMAL. The new replacement OEM T States are 5 degrees F warmer than the old ones from the factory. You can stop trying to fix what ain't broke.

Hope this puts you back to wit beginning?

Cinco 08-14-2017 09:46 AM

My temp gauge goes up to 3/4 on hot days while sitting in traffic, caught my eye at first but after reading here its normal.
You'll know when it's over heating, the LED Display will say "ENGINE HOT"

My only issue is the a/c does not cool well in the 3/4 temp situation. Any thoughts @Doc Olds

Ordieh 08-14-2017 04:46 PM

Adding one ounce of PURPLE ICE from ROYAL PURPLE per quart of coolant will drop the temperature measurably! It is also a top shelf corrosion inhibitor and water pump seal lubricant. Another thing to consider is your tune. A lean engine runs hotter and (even within the parameters ) a richer mix will drop the temp.

RKSmith163 08-14-2017 07:16 PM

My 06,08 and 10 all ran about a needles width below half.

happythree 08-15-2017 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163 (Post 346430)
My 06,08 and 10 all ran about a needles width below half.

yeah, i forgot my 07m exactly the same , my 10, same.
never over the mid line...