Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Tall guys in the H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/tall-guys-h3-27496/)

HUMMERUP 04-09-2012 07:07 PM

Tall guys in the H3

I test drove an 08 Alpha today. While I really like it, I feel a long way away from the wheel and the wind shield....I also noticed, that I can't really look out the driver side window to check for traffic if the intersection is angled, I have to look through the back window lol...Anyone else experience this? Does it become a huge annoyance? BTW I'm 6'3"

jayhawkhummer 04-09-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by HUMMERUP (Post 275827)
I test drove an 08 Alpha today. While I really like it, I feel a long way away from the wheel and the wind shield....I also noticed, that I can't really look out the driver side window to check for traffic if the intersection is angled, I have to look through the back window lol...Anyone else experience this? Does it become a huge annoyance? BTW I'm 6'3"

I'm 6'2" and I'd say you get used to it if anything, although I still occasionally notice it after 3 years, especially after driving other vehicles. My wife's base model Accord has a telescoping wheel. Really wish the 3 had one. Those little blind spot mirrors really help me with checking the, uh, blind spots. Only other suggestion I have is to keep the reclining seat to a minimum.

drtom 04-09-2012 11:39 PM

the front pillar,big, and vertical creates a blind spot when turning left for me.
on my FIRST day,in 09 i bumped a post in a parking lot. i started the turn and the post was hidden by the pillar. as i moved while turning,it stayed hidden, till i smacked it with the tire,no damage.
im 6,2 and i keep trying to pull the wheel back 4-6 inches,no luck so far.

dohmn8r 04-10-2012 12:28 AM

6'3" here. I have to agree with the big pillars, which is one reason why I don't add those window vent visors. I've gotten used to sitting closer to the steering wheel. Definitely get some good blind spot mirrors. I also added an aftermarket head-unit/backup camera shortly after accidentally backing into a nearly "invisible" honda civic.

HUMMERUP 04-10-2012 02:15 AM

Ya I probably should have tried to scoot my seat fwd a ways and see if it was still comfortable. I guess that just another excuse to go test drive it again! I did love the back up camera that is factory installed it popped out of the side of the mirror! I also think the turning radius is ridiculously good on these and makes parking and parallel parking a breeze, even if you can't see! Lol

Widespread Hummer 04-10-2012 05:28 AM

I sit wiht the seat back almost vertical because of what you are talking about. I've found I actually like the seat very straight up like that. I also like that my head is in line with the pillar because I feel like I'm protected a little more in an accident.

Def have to look out the back door windows at city intersections but it really doesn't bother me much. If you are one of the first 2 cars at an intersection, seeing the traffic light can be quite difficult. A while back someone cut one of those RV stickers that increase the viewing area(the grooved ones) and stuck it to the top of the windshield near the visor. when the light changed the he could see the color in the sticker so he didn't have to crane his neck.

I work at a University and a back-up camera has saved my ass a number of times. They are very cheap these days if you find one that doesn't have one already.

Doc Olds 04-10-2012 08:35 AM

I got no idea what you guys are talking about? I've been driving this Three for 5 years, with vent shades, and never had to look out a rear window at any intersection. I've leaned forward to get a better look out the front door windows sure enough, but that's about it.

I have no use for a back up camera either. :p

Driving a 3 is like driving a small dump truck, never needed a back up camera when I drove a quad axle either, they got mirrors.

drtom 04-10-2012 08:44 AM

i find myself NOT using the backup cam,just the mirror.
it was cool at first. still i like to see my long hitch,,whatsit? so i dont poke a hole in some little car hiding bak ere.

BLACKH3T 04-10-2012 01:34 PM

I haven't noticed a problem in my 09 T. At 6'5" yes I sometime lean and look out the window when backing up, but other than that I don't have a problem.

Widespread Hummer 04-10-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds (Post 275877)
I got no idea what you guys are talking about? I've been driving this Three for 5 years, with vent shades, and never had to look out a rear window at any intersection. I've leaned forward to get a better look out the front door windows sure enough, but that's about it.

I have no use for a back up camera either. :p

Driving a 3 is like driving a small dump truck, never needed a back up camera when I drove a quad axle either, they got mirrors.

I'm sure clouds split and you drive in a little patch of sunshine everywhere too. :D