Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Stock Radio went out???? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/stock-radio-went-out-40721/)

jsbihn 01-05-2019 08:22 AM

Stock Radio went out????

Hey all,
So the Hummer Gremlins got me again.
I go to start the truck yesterday and the battery was really weak.... so I threw the charger on it and started it right up.
The radio was working when I closed the door to go disconnect the charger and put it back in the garage.
I got into the truck, closed the door, and suddenly the radio shuts off.
But it doesnt shut off.... it is dead.
The clock is on, the CD will load, but the radio doesnt display or make any sound.
To add more info, when I use my blinker or open the door, I dont hear anything.

What do you guys think?
Any help would be appreciated

jsbihn 01-07-2019 10:02 AM

anyone???

MixManSC 01-07-2019 10:30 AM

I'm honestly at a loss which was I did not reply the other day. lol

But.... thinking on it more. Maybe a blown fuse but just whatever one provides the accessory power. I know you can insert a disc and hit a button to get the clock when the vehicle is off on many stock radios. And maybe when its started the dash lighting power wire turns the clock on. There are a few power sources to the radio like constant power, accessory power, backlighting power, retained accessory power, etc. so it could be a fuse other than the main "radio" fuse.

That or it might be dead. Just not sure but a blown fuse is about the only thing I can think of.

FatJay 01-08-2019 11:39 AM

My first thought would be fuse as well. However electricals don't like weak batteries. I would swap in a fresh/fully charged battery and see if that fixes it.

jsbihn 01-12-2019 10:33 AM

does anyone know where else I can search for Radio fuses?
I searched in the fuse box under the front hood on the drivers side.... but everything looked fine.
I am trying to look for everything first before i pull the dash apart again

jsbihn 01-17-2019 01:19 PM

????
???

MixManSC 01-17-2019 06:02 PM

Sorry - missed this before but the drivers side end of the dash also has a fuse box. Have to pull that end cover off the dash to see them.

LoJac963 01-20-2019 10:08 AM

I do agree though, these rigs seem to be very sensitive to batteries which are going out. Even if they are still cranking the engine over, if they are on their last leg mine has done some odd things with the electronics. Once a brand new battery is in she comes to life like the day I bought her.

H2Miami 01-23-2019 07:08 AM

Bad stock radio is good news . Now you have a true reason to replaced

Hbrezzi 01-23-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami (Post 357314)
Bad stock radio is good news . Now you have a true reason to replaced

I agree! The only issue is that (if equipped) your parking sensors (most definitely), Onstar and wheel control buttons ( there might be an adaptor?) will not work with an aftermarket radio.

For these reasons I’m thinking about going back to the stock navigation radio... They are quite inexpensive and good used ones are readily available.

MixManSC 01-23-2019 12:32 PM

No idea about the parking sensors but there are adapters to retain full use of Onstar, steering wheel controls, as well as the factory Bose amp, and even the backup camera if you have a newer model with that. If you have an older model with the no longer functional analog Onstar you can repurpose the Onstar mic and GPS antennas for an aftermarket stereo versus having an aftermarket mic sticking out somewhere or an aftermarket GPS antenna (if you were to get a stereo with those features). Works perfect on my Kenwood (the one I bought has built in Garmin GPS but most people use their stupid phones for that nowadays). I have full use of the steering wheel controls, the built in mic in the headliner works for me to make calls through the Kenwood stereo bluetooth connection, and I'm using the stock Bose premium amp, stock Bose sub and speakers. My 2003 does not have any sort of parking sensors (or tire pressure sensors which I think the newer models also have).

Replacing the stock stereo with another stock one can also be tricky. It will depend on whether you have the base Bose system or the premium Bose system and you might have to have it unlocked/setup with a Tech 2. Depending on the specific model, I do have a stock one I might be willing to sell. Since I have a Tech 2 I should be able to clear my VIN from it and set it so that it will autoconfigure on the next vehicle it is connected to.

H2Miami 01-23-2019 10:14 PM

You should have a 08 . I dont think previous years have parking sensors
the onstar on mine (06) was useless so it was removed
I kept the wheel buttons easy with the adapter
also I removed all chimes and bells but not necessarily you need too

jsbihn 01-24-2019 07:08 AM

Thanks for the advice on the aftermarket, but for right now i need to concentrate my money elsewhere so I am trying to see what can be done to get this running again.
I swear the thing acts like it just has been turned off. Like if I just hit the power button it will turn right on but the power button isnt making any kind of click or whatever to feel like it would be pushing in a button.
Clock on the radio still works
Hit the CD button, and everything lights up and it displays on the screen....
just no radio... like I said.... like its off.
Any ideas before I pull the dash apart and see what might be wrong with the unit itself

MixManSC 01-24-2019 01:27 PM

Only other thing I can think is maybe the Bose amp decided to go but I'd think the radio would still cut on. Then again, you have a newer one and I'm not even certain those have the same amp setup.

jsbihn 01-24-2019 02:44 PM

mixman? what newer one do i have?
my h2 is a stock 03

MixManSC 01-24-2019 04:13 PM

Ah - H2Miami mentioned an 08 a few posts up. Yours is identical to mine then.... couple of ideas.

First try a search on Google for 2003 Silverado radio dead. Maybe even try 2004, 2005 or change the terms up a little. It will also depend on if your has the navigation radio or the standard one.

this is one I spotted for the standard style ones...

There are two different fuses in the under hood fuse block. Radio and the second one Radio Amp (for the Bose amp).

Anyways from what I just found poking around some is it sounds like the amp might be dead. The below is from a GM TSB doc. This will depend on exactly which stereo yours has though. RPO codes are in your glove box on a decal.

With UQ7 without Y91 RPO Codes
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This information is in addition to the normal no audio diagnostics which includes checking for shorted speakers or speaker wires.

Recommendation/Instructions:
For complaints of no audio from vehicle equipped with a non-class 2 amplifier, perform the following checks to determine if it is a radio or an amp issue. Do these checks with vehicle running, radio on and amp plugged in.
Check for audio at the Rear Seat Audio controls through the head phones. If there is, then the radio is producing audio.
Check pin B3 (switched 12 volts) for 12 volts. This is a radio output that tells the amp to turn on. It should show 12 volts, if it does not, and then radio B3 pin output is not operating properly. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.
Check pin B6 (amp mute) for 0 volts to 5 volt. If the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt this tells the amp to unmute and play. If it shows between 3 and 5 volts this tells the amp to mute and stop playing. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.
If the above steps indicate that the system should be playing then check for power and grounds to the amplifier and if ok, replace the amplifier.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.