Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Snow (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/snow-17877/)

black nite 01-08-2010 07:44 AM

Snow

When driving in the snow when should you put it in hi lock?
Thank You!

White08H3 01-08-2010 08:07 AM

only in real terrible conditions ie if you are stuck or feeling it slide, but really most of the time your regular 4 will work. I only used my 4 lock once in the snow and that was getting up my hill by my house where they, somehow, forgot to plow and I could feel the front slipping a bit. Put it in 4high and got up no problem.

NJTEX 01-08-2010 09:54 AM

Don't forget that your H3 has 4-Wheel electronic traction control. If you feel a wheel starting to spin, don't feather the gas! Keep your right foot where it is or even lean into the pedal an inch or two more, as needed, to give the system some torque to redirect to the wheel(s) with traction.

Drivers not using this system properly are the reason that you see youtube videos of Hummers spinning their wheels over and over again trying to clear a little old slippery tree root.

(If you lift up on the gas as is the natural tendancy, you are actually working against the automatic system. It's sort of like ABS in "reverse" if you want to think of it that way.)

murderedc230 01-08-2010 03:57 PM

Its been pretty terrible around here lately. I've been keeping it in lock around back roads and noticed a difference in handling. It helps for me.

I think my Stability control button is bad though so I can't turn it off :(

marksteven 01-09-2010 09:09 AM

With a decent set of winter or snow rated tires such as the duratracs, you shouldnt need to go to 4 lock unless your already stuck. i hope no-one is trying to turn off the Stabil -trac in the winter.

black nite 01-11-2010 07:55 AM

Does the Stabil-trac still work in Hi lock?

bflank 01-11-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by black nite (Post 215188)
Does the Stabil-trac still work in Hi lock?

Yes according to the owner's manual, disabled in Low Lock.

"StabiliTrak® comes on automatically whenever you
start your vehicle. However, when the transfer
case is placed in Four-Wheel-Low Lock mode,
StabiliTrak® is automatically disabled."

YellowFin 01-11-2010 05:52 PM

I put mine in Hi Loc with any road accumulation. I just believe the vehicle will be more stable with equal power to the front and back. It worked very well when we had 12" of snow before Christmas. I saw all kinds of vehicles in the rails and ditches. Cars and 4 wheel SUV's. The H3 was very stable and fun to drive.

2wheelmonster 01-11-2010 06:00 PM

run it

SCOT 01-11-2010 06:32 PM

the only thing 4wd does for ya in snow, is get ya moving at a more rapid pace, then you outdrive yourself because you realize, that you suck at driving in snow, and then ya end up in the ditch, disgracing suv drivers the world apart, hahahahaha they don't stop any faster than a 2wd lol