Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Slight grinding noise when turning right...HELP? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/slight-grinding-noise-when-turning-right-help-31518/)

Kirkhayes37 09-09-2013 07:28 PM

Slight grinding noise when turning right...HELP?

Like the title says...I have a very slight grinding noise that seems to be coming from the driver side wheel/driver floor board area when turning right at slow speeds. I have put the front driver wheel up on a jack and the hub has absolutely no play.

Any ideas what to check next? It does not do it turning left...only right. And I think I am the only one who notices it. Nobody else in the car knows it is there. It is pretty hard to detect....but it is certainly there every time I turn right.

Help...What do i check next? Could it still be the hub assembly going bad even though it has no play? I also checked the front diff fluid level and it was perfect. So i dunno.

Caraddict 09-09-2013 07:40 PM

Maybe a dust shield on your brakes?

Kirkhayes37 09-09-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Caraddict (Post 301677)
Maybe a dust shield on your brakes?

I wondered that too, but how could it only rub when turning right.... I will look into it closer for sure though. Thank you.

Kirkhayes37 09-10-2013 06:30 PM

I ordered a new Timken front hub. Will swap that out and see how it goes. $157 shipped from RockAuto. Will see if this fixes it. A mechanic I trust says 90% of the time grinding in the front end when not related to brakes is bearings. And also when not related to a tire rubbing anywhere. We shall see.

R-code17815 09-10-2013 06:47 PM

CV Shaft

Kirkhayes37 09-10-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by R-code17815 (Post 301723)
CV Shaft

Ya, Kind of wondering about that too. I will look it over.

LoJac963 09-10-2013 07:47 PM

Have you checked your front swar bar for rub marks from the tire? At full lock with stock 35's my passenger tire rubs and makes the whole thing shake. Not sure its a "grinding" sound but a possibility.

Caraddict 09-11-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kirkhayes37 (Post 301678)
I wondered that too, but how could it only rub when turning right.... I will look into it closer for sure though. Thank you.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a brake dust shield make noises only when turning...it's a free fix if I'm right...IDE start there before throwing parts at it...

Chad_Arild 09-11-2013 06:40 AM

I had a simular problem on my GMC 2500HD, I could not find the "grind" noise for the life of me, took it to a a dealership and they riased that side of the truck to where the tire was just an inch or two above the ground, and then they took a loooong tirerod about 2-3foot long and put it under the tire and lifted, then you could see and hear and feel the little slack that was in the bearings. Solution= NEW Bearing Hub Assembaly, after that was changed I still had a little POPPING noise, had to change UPPER SWING ARM....after that all was quiet and tight!!! Hope this helped out a little!!

Kirkhayes37 09-11-2013 08:40 AM

Thank you guys....I will look into all these things this weekend. -Kirk