Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Shop is changing my Air Ride to Springs?? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/shop-changing-my-air-ride-springs-27393/)

chesh97 03-29-2012 11:37 PM

Shop is changing my Air Ride to Springs??

So, I was still under warranty (30 day) and I had a "service air suspension" light come on. Took it to the dealership, and they looked it over and said the compressor was faulty. They asked me if I was interested in replacing the air shocks with hard springs... I gave them the go ahead.

I think we both agreed this was the best route for both party's involved (considering a compressor is $1200)

Did I make the right call? I have seen threads on here about guys wanting to convert theirs, and several that have. I was just worried that a 2004, with 81,000 miles on it, I was money ahead if I just put springs on it. Eliminate the possibility of and probably most likely rubber deterioration down the road causing leaks and more compressor problems.

Is going the spring route going to sacrifice anything?

Pauldy 03-30-2012 01:54 PM

If it wasn't money out of your pocket I would have kept the air suspension but I've spent a lot of money getting my 2003 into shape though so.

SedonaBoundH3 03-30-2012 03:24 PM

Good decision if you're going to keep it long term. Air suspension is a high maintenance/cost system. Audi Allroads, VW Touareg and Range Rover all got black eyes from their air suspension failings (among other things). The Army has spent tons of $$ retro fitting steel springs on trucks and trailers bought with air suspensions because they don't stand up.

Cashville 03-30-2012 04:06 PM

I just switched my air suspension to GM springs today. Ride feels like the same to be honest...

bflorin 03-30-2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pauldy (Post 275133)
If it wasn't money out of your pocket I would have kept the air suspension but I've spent a lot of money getting my 2003 into shape though so.

Hell yea, if it was on their tab- I would of had them replace it.

Sure they're going to offer to switch you over...less of an expense to them.

Indy 03-30-2012 07:26 PM

If you get a new Air compressor, why would it be high maintanance? I totally disagree....if the air bags do leak someday, they cost around $300 or so to replace.....the expensive part is the compressor, but if you get a new one, why worry.

chesh97 03-30-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bflorin (Post 275151)
Hell yea, if it was on their tab- I would of had them replace it.

Sure they're going to offer to switch you over...less of an expense to them.

True, however, If I can have them pay for the conversion, so I never have to worry about future problems, I feel I'm money ahead.

From what I have gathered from the service manager, and guys on here, the air suspension is nothing but problems.

nlhummer 03-30-2012 09:07 PM

I had a Touareg with Air suspension. Still worked great at 161000. The air on that vehicle was awesome