Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Remote Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Possible? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/remote-power-steering-fluid-reservoir-possible-27694/)

rosco111 05-01-2012 10:04 PM

Remote Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Possible?

At work we have a 26 passenger 2003 H2 limo. During the conversion process, the coachbuilder installed the auxiliary alternator and auxiliary a/c compressor over the power steering pump. This very confined placement makes checking or filling the power steering fluid without removing several components darn near impossible. After researching and replacing the hydroboost unit and the power steering gearbox it occurred to me that a remote reservoir might solve our issues with not being able to maintain power steering levels. One video on youtube shows that the line furthest to the front of the vehicle on the driver's side of the hydroboost is a return to the pump/reservoir, which on the Chevy Astro, goes straight to a remote reservoir. Would it be possible to locate one of these remote reservoirs from an Astro and, cut this return line and spice it in? I believe we have taken care of all the leaks so leaking fluid shouldn't be an issue anymore, but drivers really need to be able to check the fluid to avoid problems in the future....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LoJac963 05-01-2012 10:19 PM

I don't see why not, our Sky has a remote reservior since everything is pretty crammed in the engine bay. As long as the fluid gets to the pump and back I don't really see why it wouldn't work. Obviously the capacity would change so the owners would definitely have to be aware of the increased capacity.

rosco111 05-02-2012 12:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it would be an issue as the return line is low pressure. My only other concern was will fluid seep out of the old cap as now the fluid level would exceed it, but looks sealed as it is not the highest point in the system. Thanks again!

LoJac963 05-02-2012 02:36 AM

good point, it would all depend on how much the capacity is being increased. Length of the new lines really is all that matters so it shouldn't be too much more unless you're running the thing to the back bumper lol. I would imagine the little bit of extra fluid would be fine.

bflorin 05-02-2012 07:30 PM

Call AGR Performance. They deal w/ that **** every day..Limos, offshore power boats, etc. Extra fluid tank will also help cool down the fluid, slightly reduce the chances of cooking it.

Off memory, you ****can the current tank integrated on the pump so there is only a pump there. Mount the tank anywhere you want.

rosco111 05-02-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks so much for all the help! Reduced heat would be an added benefit as we do fight high temps, especially here in Houston. We have already had to install an auxiliary transmission cooler. Thanks again!

bflorin 05-02-2012 10:35 PM

Contact AGR Performance-MB Motorsports

should of given you a link to them :)