Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Rear License Plate Pocket Swap Question (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/rear-license-plate-pocket-swap-question-29496/)

Man1nboat 12-02-2012 11:19 AM

Rear License Plate Pocket Swap Question

I want to install a rear LIT license plate pocket in my '07 (obviously not lit) and found an H2 rear door on craigslist that has one. Didn't mention the year; however, believe that the lit model was for ~03-05 or so... Question: Will this fit in my '07 and is there an existing wiring harness for the light? Thanks!

Man1nboat 12-02-2012 10:28 PM

With so many views and no response, maybe I need to clarify my question... Can I remove an unlit rear license plate pocket (black plastic piece on the read hatch w/handle) with a lit one? My 07 does not have the light and mount for a license plate...

fyr145 12-03-2012 09:36 PM

Rear License Plate Pockets

I have an '07 as well. When I changed my spare tire mounts from the exterior to the interior I thought about changing the license plate pockets as well.

I discovered that there are some subtle differences between the 03-06 version and the 07-09 versions. The earlier H2's had the illuminated pockets becuase the spare tire was kept inside. Then when the SUT's and the '07 SUV's came out, they moved them outside with the license plates attached to the spare tire as well.

Another difference is the factory wiring. The '07's and up do NOT have the earlier wiring harness that would contain the license plate wiring harness. With all this in mind, I decided to just keep my '07 plate and modify it by adding my own lighting to the license plate pocket itself. I purchased 2 LED license plate screw lights. These are installed right where the bolts would normally go. I tapped/spliced the wires from these LED's right into the center rear red clearance light wiring and they look and work just fine.

The chrome license plate pockets are overpriced in my opinion. So that's when I decided to get a little creative and got the LED's.

Hope this helps.

Man1nboat 12-03-2012 09:45 PM

FRY145 - Thanks! I thought about the LED screw lights. Where did you purchase them and for how much if I may ask? You also answered a big question for me regarding the wiring harness. I will very likely do the same thing you did and really appreciate your thorough response! Hopefully someday I may return the favor...

Man1nboat 12-03-2012 10:56 PM

FRY145 I'm planning on purchasing Lite'N Boltz (unless you have a better option) so I think I'm good... Read that I can pick them up a Advanced Auto or Pep Boys...

fyr145 12-04-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat (Post 288895)
FRY145 I'm planning on purchasing Lite'N Boltz (unless you have a better option) so I think I'm good... Read that I can pick them up a Advanced Auto or Pep Boys...

Glad I was able to help a fellow H2'er out. Here is where I got mine on eBay:

Stainles LED License Plate Bolt Lights Motorcycle Auto | eBay

This guy makes them here in the US, AND promises a lifetime guarentee if they break or wear out. Better quality product, heavier T6061 aluminum that is powercoated and the wires going into the bolt threads are siliconed. He also shows a quick video on his product but also shows his competetors as well. Might be worth your while to check it out. Like I said, I have this model and its done very well for me and installation was easy.

Best of luck to you and your project. ANy other questions, either PM me here or leave a post on this site.

fyr145