Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Off-road lights + marker lights combo (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/off-road-lights-marker-lights-combo-6006/)

bobopotato 06-24-2007 08:10 PM

Off-road lights + marker lights combo

4 Attachment(s)
Finally decided to get off my lazy ass to do some work on the h3... Installed several clearance marker lights in the front to complement the off-road light bar... corner lights are OEM (minus the bulb, which I decided to use LED inside. I didn't think the center had space for three lights so I installed only two of them, small LEDs. Did look a little crowded up front, but I guess it does look better than without any of the stuff!!

Some pics...
Attachment 22175

Another one - side view
Attachment 22176

While at it, also put in two rear marker lights at the corners, red LED... still trying to grow some b@!!s before I drill the back to put in the middle three.. I may never have the guts to do so!

More pics
Attachment 22177

Again - side view

Attachment 22178

You can see the CB antenna install also - all thanks to tips from Wu Jen.. thanks Wu Jen!

Gunner_45 06-24-2007 08:42 PM

RE: Off-road lights + marker lights combo

I keep wondering when someone will come out with piece for the rear markers like the front.....

Clearance issues perhaps....?

Maybe something that slides onto the door top and adheres with 3m tape or something?

I wouldn't feel bad about drilling into the plastic for the outboard/corner lights....but that metal drilling makes me nervous.

bonzaiii 06-24-2007 10:24 PM

I really like the look of the front marker lights with the off road lights, nicely done!

Muddydawg75 06-24-2007 11:15 PM

if you want me to drill the metal I will.....:D

littlehummerboy 06-25-2007 10:42 AM

That does look pretty good all right!

JDJoe 06-26-2007 04:21 PM

Really nice look. I must admit that when I saw the title of the thread, I was a bit skeptical about being able to have both off-road and marker lights together, but theyreally lookawesome in those pics... Post some night shots if you have time.

bonzaiii 07-09-2007 10:07 PM

OK, Just ordered my off road light kit and I'd REALLY like to add the marker lights like you did. Any info you could pass along would be very helpful. Anything from the part number of the lights, where you got them, how you mounted them, wiring etc.
I'd really appreciate any help
Thanks,

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: JDJoe

Really nice look. I must admit that when I saw the title of the thread, I was a bit skeptical about being able to have both off-road and marker lights together, but theyreally lookawesome in those pics... Post some night shots if you have time.
Here are some night shots I finally took! My camera seems to be dying, but there's probably little difference since you can't see too much at night except the lights anyways!

Front:

Attachment 21953

Front angled view
Attachment 21954

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one of the back view

Attachment 21952

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: bonzaiii

OK, Just ordered my off road light kit and I'd REALLY like to add the marker lights like you did. Any info you could pass along would be very helpful. Anything from the part number of the lights, where you got them, how you mounted them, wiring etc.
I'd really appreciate any help
Thanks,

Bonzaiii, sorry for the late response, its been crazy...
I wasn't going to igonre you since its only right that I provide whatever help I could, given the amount of knowledge and help I obtained from the forum! Hope this doesn't come too late!

So, I actually first started with the rear marker lights... I wanted LEDs since they last much longer, and don't require much current at all (hence lower risk for blowing whatever circuit I was drawing power from if I added multiple lights)... didn't really like the selection at the local stores, so I went with this one from eastmarine:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....p;categoryID=0

Drilled into the corner pieces to install the rear corner lights. As to the power source, I think some folks tapped it off the trailer wiring, which is possible, but I tapped it off the rear lights. I ran wires from the rear lights sneaking up the rear taillight assembly, up the corner pieces to the rear corner marker lights...

Because its tapped to the rear lights, they come on automatically as the sky dims, and also when you activate the remote etc. Then lacking the b@lls to drill into the rear door for the center rear lights, I moved onto the front marker lights...

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:27 PM

I had run two wires (+ and ground) from the rear lights because this particular LED light, even though it grounds by the retaining screw, because the corner pieces were plastic (hence couldn't ground through it), I had to run a ground wire as well...

For the front lights, rather than buying the entire marker light set, I thought to save $ by just buying the components... I boughtthe left and right light pieces from here:

http://hummer.autowebaccessories.com...1309_13004.php

The left piece (I think) came chipped, but the folks were really good about it, and arranged for a pick up for the return and shipped me a replacement once they received the damaged one...

The only problem with the light pieces was I had thought they came with bulbs/wiring, but they just came with the plastic piece! And it was supposed to require some bulb assembly (which I assume would come with the marker light set, which I didn't order)... But that was an overall blessing in disguise for me I guess because I had really wanted to use LEDs instead of bulbs (don't have to change dead bulbs every now and then too)..

So what I had done was to buy LED lights from my local pepboys, drill out the back of the marker piece, put the LED light in and silicone like crazy to seal the gaps.. here are some pics

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Plastic piece with back drilled out into a square hole for LED light:
Attachment 21949

Picture of the LED light I bought, with one already siliconed into one of the marker pieces and the other still with the original round hole for the bulb assembly

Attachment 21950

And here is the front view of the pieces
Attachment 21951

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:41 PM

Once the lights were sorted out, I took the front corner pieces off (two screws behind the plastic seal by the front doors, and couple of clips that you could just pull to release). Drilled the necessary holes for the plastic pieces, including a central hole to run the LED wires through. Repeated for other side. This sorted out the mechanical installation of the front corner marker lights.

For the installation of the middle two marker lights, instead of buying the OEM marker pieces at $40 a pop which are also pretty large occupying much of the center space, I went with the eastmarine pieces again, only this time amber in color.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=285

Took off the off-road light bar off(couple of screws on the top, had to cut the wire powering the lights so I could take it down), drilled the necessary holes for the LEDs andmounted them. Reconnected the off-road lights wires with quick connects, wired up the LEDs (2 wires per LED) and put the off-road light bar back. Then wired up the corner plastic pieces (again 2 wires per LED).

Regarding the power source for the lights, I contemplated pulling them from the front hood (somewhere from the side marker lights) but they seemed too difficult to get to/wasn't obvious, so I decided to just pull them from the back marker lights as well... there's a condiut running below the roof rails front to back, so I just tapped into the back corner lights and pulled two wires to the front (for both sides). Connected them to the front lights (so all marker lights installed in parallel), reinstalled the front corner frame pieces, reinstalled the front door seal and I think that was pretty much it...

So far the lights have been holding good, I must have used up like 3 rolls of black electrical tape to make sure everything that could be water-damaged waterproof...

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more details!

Darryl

bobopotato 07-20-2007 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot one more pic, here's the pic of the back of the light bar with the lights attached (hard to tell except for the screws)..

Attachment 21948

bonzaiii 07-22-2007 09:54 PM

I just received my lights and am just about ready to take a deep breath anddive in. When I wire the rear marker lights which color wire do I connect with. Also as the marker lights are mounted into plastic how did you ground them .

bobopotato 07-23-2007 07:52 AM

Bonzaii, hopefully you have the same wiring colors as I do... the best way is to check with a multimeter which I did... If I remember correctly (its been a while), there are four wires going to the rear lamp assembly, ground (black), driving lights (brown), reverse (green), brake light (??? don't remember).... I believe I used the brown and black wires.

I ran 2 wires (ground and positive) from the marker lights because you're right, its mounted in plastic (hence you can't ground to the retaining screw). Let me know how it goes.

bonzaiii 07-24-2007 12:05 PM

Thanks bobopotato
I'm actually installing the light bar also, so today I'm going to mount the marker lights onto the light bar and hook up the wiring and swtch inside.
Then on Thursday I'll install the 2 outside marker lights and finish the light bar, I'm going to wait until next week to go for the rear marker lights, I figure it's better to go slow and easy. Wish me luck!!

bonzaiii 07-27-2007 11:17 PM

Any chance you could take a close up picture of the fromt light bar. I want to see how far forward it sits. I've got the inside wiring done and the marker lights installed on the light bar and just nned to install the light bar itself.

bobopotato 07-27-2007 11:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Any chance you could take a close up picture of the fromt light bar. I want to see how far forward it sits. I've got the inside wiring done and the marker lights installed on the light bar and just nned to install the light bar itself.
Bonzaiii, check these out.. check out the position of the lightbar vs the front windscreen, check out the position of the lightbar vs the front corner piece and check out the lightbar vs the onstar antenna... see if that helps... my lightbar was factory installed so hopefully they did a pretty decent job at getting the right position. From what I see, it seems to be positioned ok.

Attachment 21907

Attachment 21908

Attachment 21909

bonzaiii 08-01-2007 06:54 PM

Those pics are perfect, just what I needed.
Short of running the wires from the back tail lights all the way to the front marker lamps does anyone know what wires in the engine compartment 9Color, Location) are for the rear tail lights ? I figure I'm already running the wires for the light bar into the engine compartment so I may as well run the wires for the marker lights there also.

bonzaiii 08-02-2007 02:39 PM

Well I finally got the off road light bar installed, wow was it stressfull drilling into the roof. Had everything installed put all the electrical back together, closed the hood, turned the key....NOTHING!!!, EVERYTHING DEAD except for the front lights ?. I checked all the wiring over and over and finally figured out the fuse box did not properly seat when I put everything back together. While I was working on the off road lights I added 2 marker lights and the wiring for the outside marker lights. I think I've had enough stress for today, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to install the 2 outside marker lights and the 5 rear marker lights which will require more drilling into the metal.

bonzaiii 08-22-2007 08:33 PM

bobopotato, So when you mounted the two outside front marker lights, did you cut a slit in the pillar for the tab on the front of the factory marker lights ? If so what did you use to do so ?
Thanks again,
Jim

bobopotato 08-23-2007 09:29 PM

bobopotato, So when you mounted the two outside front marker lights, did you cut a slit in the pillar for the tab on the front of the factory marker lights ? If so what did you use to do so ?
Thanks again,
Jim

Hey bonzaii, what I did was to drill a hole in the piller piece, and then with the drill bit through the hole, pushed against the edge of the hole with the bit... that way because the piller piece is relatively soft, I could get an ellipse instead of just a circular hole... I then tested fitting the tab, and if it didn't fit, I enlarged the hole/ellipse a little bit more till the tab fit... it helps if you also drill the hole "slanted" as that's the angle the tab would have to fit in first... let me know if that helps!!

bonzaiii 08-23-2007 09:49 PM

Yep, thats what I was thinking I would need to do. I had installed 2 of the small ones that I used for th inner two but did not like them as much as the factory ones you used, so I'll be installing tose tomorrow. I also have some wiring troubleshooting to do which is going to require removing the light bar again. Damn, two steps forward and one step back. The great thing is between the combo offroad and marker lights as well as the back marker lights I have something you can't just pick up at the store and bolt on.

bonzaiii 08-24-2007 09:27 PM

Well as is usual for me another two steps forward and one back. All lights are now installed and wired up......BUT not all are working. Everything is working except I messed up some wiring on the two small inside marker lights. I'll give that a shot next week. I really like the look of the two OEM marker lights I added on the outside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/727CDB3457B7461887536EC6249B14EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/2F9808A752AB44B5A428FDD5E3D20EE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/2A263A8BDAF443108AFEACC1D04A88BD.jpg[/IMG]

Davidh3 07-29-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by bonzaiii (Post 81628)
Well as is usual for me another two steps forward and one back. All lights are now installed and wired up......BUT not all are working. Everything is working except I messed up some wiring on the two small inside marker lights. I'll give that a shot next week. I really like the look of the two OEM marker lights I added on the outside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/727CDB3457B7461887536EC6249B14EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/2F9808A752AB44B5A428FDD5E3D20EE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/2A263A8BDAF443108AFEACC1D04A88BD.jpg[/IMG]

:(:confused::confused: ....I wanna see these pictures!!!!!!

airborne227 07-29-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Davidh3 (Post 255778)
:(:confused::confused: ....I wanna see these pictures!!!!!!

I believe that you are 4 YEARS too late!!:rolleyes:

Davidh3 07-30-2011 09:09 AM

88964832 88964833 88964834

which two of these numbers are right and left lights????