PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

just checking in

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Default just checking in

Just got the Hummer I've always wanted ! 2006 H3! Unfortunately,,, Bought it s is from a dealership........ Test drive went great and it was really clean so we bought. I drive 2.2 miles to work and it was behaving just fine. Today I took my daughter to work (about 10 miles) and on my way back the oil chimed in and the temp gauge read about 3/4 to the hot side. What a let down. I am at a loss and really don't want to tell the wife we bought a lemon... Any thoughts please.. Thanks in advance...

Old 11-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

It is 11 years old, things are going to happen. Still in the return window?

Old 11-10-2017, 12:32 PM

Yeah. I really like it. That's what suck about this one. I want to keep it if it's just something minor. I worked my tail off to be able to get it. Quick question though. What color anti-freeze should I be running. I live in Colorado and the vehicle came from Texas. Also it has 132000 on it. Also waiting for the dealer to reply.....

Old 11-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

3/4 on the Temp gauge is NORMAL. Search it out here, been beat to death. No worries there.

When you say "the oil chimed in" what do you mean??

If you got the CHG OIL message in the Driver Information Center, the GM OLMS (Oil Life Monitor System) is telling you its time for an oil change and it should be done w/in 600 miles. No worries there either.

Your radiator is supposed to be full of 50% dex-cool (red) and 50% distilled water.

Forgot to say..... Welcome to HF!

Last edited by Doc Olds; 11-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
3/4 on the Temp gauge is NORMAL. Search it out here, been beat to death. No worries there.

When you say "the oil chimed in" what do you mean??

If you got the CHG OIL message in the Driver Information Center, the GM OLMS (Oil Life Monitor System) is telling you its time for an oil change and it should be done w/in 600 miles. No worries there either.

Your radiator is supposed to be full of 50% dex-cool (red) and 50% distilled water.

Forgot to say..... Welcome to HF!
3/4 normal Thanks!!! The anti freeze looks kind of dull orangish color?The oil chimed in, I think 4 beeps when I came to a stop (on the gauge cluster not sure exactly what it said) then off when I took off from the stop sign. Oil was "CHANGED BY THE DEALER": confused: before I bought it. Thanks for the welcome, been wanting a Hummer for along time. Should have seen my son's face (he's 11) when we drove it off the lot. Both ears pushed up from the smile !! Again thank you all for the information and guidance!!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Satan
...Oil was "CHANGED BY THE DEALER"...
The oil life monitor has to be reset. The dealer probably didn't know that or "forgot" to do it.

It's an easy to do procedure, takes less than a minute.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM

You need an owners manual if you do not have one already go here:
https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne..._h3_owners.pdf
Download the PDF file into your phone. You will always have it as a reference tool.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
You need an owners manual if you do not have one already go here:
https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne..._h3_owners.pdf
Download the PDF file into your phone. You will always have it as a reference tool.
Thanks and will do. Solved the oil light problem but now have a power steering howl going on. I guess I bought someone else's problem but no matter I'm game !!!