Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Need help with front end / torsion bar (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/need-help-front-end-torsion-bar-30235/)

H2Miami 02-28-2013 12:41 PM

Need help with front end / torsion bar

2 Attachment(s)
HEllo everyone

After reading in my another thread the problem with vibration could be the torsion bar and the front height .
I took a couple pics . if you can compare it to yours I will appreciate .

The height on the front is 17" ... please advise any other way to take the measures ..

Also I replace the yellow stop-bumper on the right but is it normal the way it looks ? look at the pic

Thank you in advance

Attachment 5986

Attachment 5988

Man1nboat 02-28-2013 04:44 PM

I just measured mine.... I am 18" and there is ~ 1/8 gap below the yellow pad.

H2CANEPADESIGN 02-28-2013 05:10 PM

Just measured mine, 18 1/8. there a slight gap between arm and pad as well.
You should be able to fix it very easily and for very little cost.
Take it to a reputable alignment shop and ask them to raise it just a little with the torsion bars and realign it.
I wonder what the stock height was though. maybe mines sagging as well.

Man1nboat 02-28-2013 07:43 PM

No no no... 18" good :-).... North Hollywood? My old stomping grounds. Lived on Craner and Lankershim...

H2Miami 02-28-2013 07:44 PM

Yessss finally a answer to that annoying vibration/sagging ... Im planning to change the shocks anyway but could the bad shock cause the problem or it is only the torsion bar ,,, BTW is that something that usually happens or should I look for what cause the problem with the bar

I was looking for the stock height but didnt find anything ...

Thank you

Man1nboat 02-28-2013 07:59 PM

I don't believe that shock do anything with height (maybe a smidge...) and I agree with H2 that you should have your torsion bars adjusted and realigned. That may also create a space under the yellow bump pad as well. My H2 looks level and I believe that 18" is probably the number you should shoot for. I recommend Bilstein's all around.

Richard

H2Miami 02-28-2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat (Post 293901)
I don't believe that shock do anything with height (maybe a smidge...) and I agree with H2 that you should have your torsion bars adjusted and realigned. That may also create a space under the yellow bump pad as well. My H2 looks level and I believe that 18" is probably the number you should shoot for. I recommend Bilstein's all around.

Richard

Im going to lift it 1" tomorrow , for a 18" height ... Now I realized why I see my H2 slightly smaller than most on the street

Will post pics and results

rsmith77 02-28-2013 10:10 PM

To truly measure the suspension height you need to measure from two fixed points on the truck that only the suspension will affect. The most common is the center of the axle hub to the lower edge of the fender directly above that wheel. There will be a different measurements for the front and the back and each side should match the other.

The way you all have measured, from the ground to the skid plate or bottom of the frame, could be changed by minor things like letting some of the air in your tires out or pumping them up more or different size rims. Also the different kinds of tires will affect that height based on the amount of tread or lugs on them, or simply from having more tread left on the same set of tires than a different person.

By measuring from the center of the axle, which is also the center of the wheel, to the bottom of the fender you eliminate all of those extra variables. This is assuming everyone measuring has the same fenders. Just something to think about.

Ross

jaydelriotx 02-28-2013 10:18 PM

My yellow rubber stops look just like yours..no gap, My height is 17 1/4..

H2Miami 02-28-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by rsmith77 (Post 293905)
To truly measure the suspension height you need to measure from two fixed points on the truck that only the suspension will affect. The most common is the center of the axle hub to the lower edge of the fender directly above that wheel. There will be a different measurements for the front and the back and each side should match the other.

The way you all have measured, from the ground to the skid plate or bottom of the frame, could be changed by minor things like letting some of the air in your tires out or pumping them up more or different size rims. Also the different kinds of tires will affect that height based on the amount of tread or lugs on them, or simply from having more tread left on the same set of tires than a different person.

By measuring from the center of the axle, which is also the center of the wheel, to the bottom of the fender you eliminate all of those extra variables. This is assuming everyone measuring has the same fenders. Just something to think about.

Ross

Makes a lot of sense ... I will do that way before touch the torsion bar , In any way Im sure there is a problem cause the frame is resting on the yellow bumpers ... In fact one was worn , the other is not so good ...

Will post the before and after pics .. Btw is it possible to level the front and the back using the TB ... would this affect the part in any way

Thanks for the input