Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Looking for H1 for mid-term rent - need help! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/looking-h1-mid-term-rent-need-help-10815/)

hummernick 03-19-2008 08:54 AM

Looking for H1 for mid-term rent - need help!

Dear friends,

I intend to go on a trip all over the US and I would like to do it by driving an H1. Originally, I considered buying one and selling it after this five-months-trip.

But now I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper and more hassle-free to rent if from somebody on a private basis. Unfortuntely, I couldn't find anything on the web except a fewcommercial offers for short term rent which are outrageously expensive if applied to a period of five months.

Iwon't doany off-roading or any silly driving. I just want to drive the H1 on my trip across the country.

Please feel invited toadd any comments to my thoughts (buying vs. renting) or perhaps you know somebody willing to lend his H1 frommid May to mid October at a reasonable rate.

Thanks,

n.

indyh2 03-19-2008 09:38 AM

RE: Looking for H1 for mid-term rent - need help!

Good luck with that! At $4.50 a gallon that would be a rather hefty expense just on diesel!

3hummers 03-19-2008 10:55 AM

Unless you find someone really desperate I don't think you will have much luck. H1s require maintenance. A 5 month trip around the country would put a lot of miles on a truck. That impacts both value and maintenance costs. Unless you have a friend with an H1 that just wants to help you out I don't think you will have much luck. Hopefully it works out for you.

JoshB 03-19-2008 12:34 PM

I dont think anyone would even rent a Civic to someone they dont know for 5 months. Buy, then Sell

hummernick 03-19-2008 05:51 PM

The price isn't so much an issue for me as I expect to resell the car at a good price five months later.

By renting the car I justseeked to get around the registration and insurance procedures which could be difficult for me (I'm not from the US). The lendor's lack of trust in me can be handled by using a deposit of whatever to make sure I'll bring the car back and in good condition.

The situation is, that I don't want to spend so much time for all of the registration, inspectionand insurance stuff.

Thus, I would prefer lending over buying but there are hardly any useful quotations on the market. If I lend the H1 at a commercial rate of $200/day I would end up with a bill of $30,000 after five months. For that amount I could buy a used one, so it's useless.

The fuel prices don't shock me that much, in Europe they're50% higher.

3hummers 03-19-2008 06:54 PM

I think the best route is to buy a nice used Hummer ( and you won't do that for 30K ), have it serviced by a dealer and set out on your trip. Even if you sell it for something less than you paid for it the gap can't be anywhere close to the rental charges you were quoted.

hummernick 03-20-2008 10:05 AM

Thanks everybody for the comments, I really appreciate them.

It really seems that I will have to do a purchase. How long do you think would it take to insure, inspect & register the car once I've bought it? Is it a matter of days or of weeks?

As far as I've found out, the necessary steps are:

- purchase
- pay tax
- register
- insure
- inspection within 10 days after registration

Do you have any idea what the average minimum costs of insurance could be if there's nodriver's historyavailable? Somewhere I've heard that in these cases the monthly insurance costs foran H1can surpass $600 but to me that seemstoo high to be true.

3hummers 03-20-2008 08:01 PM

With no driving history You will be rated as a pretty high risk. The premium will be partly determined by the value of the vehicle. I think you need an address to register the vehicle. That would be a question for the DMV or dealer. $600.00/mo seems real high under almost any circumstance.

Pewterbird 03-20-2008 08:23 PM

Look into leasing a H1. I met someone at a hummer event that leased their H1 from a dealer.

3hummers 03-20-2008 08:31 PM

That's a lot easier when dealers have new vehicles. Not sure of a dealer that would consider that. If you want to look into that talk to Lynch Hummer and Hummer of Sacramento. They usually have large selections.