Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Installing New Exhaust (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/installing-new-exhaust-23872/)

jvorpahl 04-25-2011 02:21 PM

Installing New Exhaust

I picked up the GM Performance Exhaust for a good price and was thinking about installing it myself. I called the dealer for an installation quote and they said $350 to install it. I was thinking like $100. What 30 minutes of work? Anyway, is there anything I should know before I do this? I guess I'm looking for "gotchas" from people who have installed exausts before. I have no real experience w/working on cars so tell me if I'm making a mistake here. From the other threads I read it does seem fairly simple though.

Thanks,

Jason

Broken Halo 04-25-2011 02:32 PM

I had my Magnaflo installed by my local Tuffy Muffler shop for only $60. Check around.

jvorpahl 04-25-2011 02:40 PM

$60! That is what I'm looking for. $350, I about fell out of my seat. I'll make some more calls to local shops here in town but I'm still interested in installing it myself if push comes to shove. So if anyone has advice I'm still listening.

- Jason

RGray711 04-25-2011 03:20 PM

I done mine in about 40 min. a few hand tools and a reciprocating saw.
Leave everything loose until you have all hangers lined up and hung then
eyeball and tighten as you go. Not a hard job. Mine however was a Gibson
cat back!

airborne227 04-25-2011 04:46 PM

It's an easy install! Just make sure to use WD-40 on the rubber grommets to make it easier to work the exhaust/muffler hangers out.

jayhawkhummer 04-25-2011 07:10 PM

I installed the GM Performance exhaust myself. I was able to pull the stock out in one piece, just in case. The worst part, by far, was getting the exhaust off the hangers. The "pros" have a tool to pull them off. Maybe I'm a wuss, but it was a serious PIA, even with WD-40. I found out after-the-fact that there was a tool. Not much help, but you can do it yourself. $60 sounds tempting though.

Did you get tips yet? I'm still in the process. I'm probably going with these-inexpensive, but look good.
Jones Exhaust JAC31212-BV - Jones Exhaust Black Vein Exhaust Tips - Overview - SummitRacing.com

jvorpahl 04-25-2011 08:00 PM

Yeah, I got the tips. I ended up choosing the GM H3 ones:

06 07 08 Hummer H3 Exhaust Tip Dual Wall Straight Cut | eBay

but I got them from GM Parts Direct for cheaper.

- Jason

TAINTER 04-25-2011 10:40 PM

If you do not feel confident in taking on this project yourself contact a local muffler shop (NOT the fricken dealer!). It should cost between $75 - $150 depending on the shop adn if you want the old exhaust removed in one piece or just let them hack it into smaller pieces so it is easier and faster for them to remove.

branstone 04-26-2011 09:53 AM

i did it myself, it was easy. then i took it to local muffler place and he welded all the joints , charged me $20

White Wolf 04-27-2011 11:59 AM

What is the difference between the GM sport and GM touring exhaust. Does one come with a resonator? I have been searching for a picture of the to do a side by side.