Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   I SCREWED UP BIG TIME! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/i-screwed-up-big-time-9336/)

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:09 PM

I SCREWED UP BIG TIME!

Went to spring creek today to have some fun with some buddies and absolutely buried my truck. Went through a mud hole I have been through several times. Well for some reason it was ALOT deeper, and I got stuck.Water was up to the H3 logos on the side. Almost to the top of the bumper in the front and rear. i had to crawl out of the truck through the sunroof because I didn't want to open the doors. No big deal, someone winched me out, done deal. Not really. As i was getting back into the truck my buddy noticed some mud in the passenger floor board. I thought oh crap there go's a big stain. I sopped it up with a towel, and we headed for the carwash. I HEARD WATER SLOSHING AROUND UNDER THE CARPET!!!!!![:@] At the carwash, I pulled off the door scuff plate and lifted the carpet, and proceeded to crap my pants. It was full of muddy water. We headed strait to the house. I pulled both front seats, the center console, and the rear seat. the carpet is totally ruined. The pad and carpet are completely saturated. I have shop vacked all the water and mud out, and hair-dried all the electrical components. My question is this. WHAT DO I DO NOW!? I really hope I didn't screw anything up. I wish Hummer would put rubber flooring in these damn things! How much do you think a complete new carpet with the underpad would be? Could i maybe rhino line the floor instead? I'm really freakin out here guys. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

3hummers 01-12-2008 05:13 PM

RE: I SCREWED UP BIG TIME!

Josh,

If you pull the carpet out and clean it, let it completely air dry youmight be able to salvage it. One of the rightthings they did with the H1s was the vinyl flooring and drain plugs. The carpet and pad do help cut down on the road noise some but I agree, I wish Hummer would offer a wash down flooring option.

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:24 PM

Is my truck screwed? Everything runs fine, and everything works fine.(praying this will continue) Is a dealership going to get suspicious if I bring in a stripped hummer and ask for new carpet. I don't want them to think its a flooded vehicle (which i guess it was). I don't want to get railed on this f#@* up. The carpet is not salvageable. The underpad was soaked in muddy water. It will mold and stink so i yanked it. Pretty easy to do actually. I need to find out how much carpet is(scared its going to be outrageous), and get it replaced or do it myself. i really would like to put spray liner in there, but there are too many electrical wires and such that i don't think it will be possible. I'm going to vomit.......

3hummers 01-12-2008 05:32 PM

Josh, I don't think it is near as bad as you think. As long as you didn't submerge the engine compartment and everything electrical still works you are probably ok. I haven't checked on carpet prices but try GMpartsdude on this site. He sells to forum members at large discounts. You could also go to a local trim shop for the carpet and install. If the carpet was that easy to pull it shouldn't be that hard to reinstall. I used to restore old Corvettes and carpet installation was not difficult. When I used to dunk some of my other 4x4 vehicles I would pull the wire connections apart and use my compressor to blow any water out of the connectionsto prevent future issues.When I used to dunk some of my other 4x4 vehicles I would pull the wire connections apart and use my compressor to blow any water out to prevent future issues. Take a deep breathe and calm down. I don't think it is as bad as you think.

3hummers 01-12-2008 05:34 PM

As far as the dealer goes your girl friend could have thrown up all over your carpet, the dog could have peed on it, you might have left your windows down.....

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:40 PM

thanks for quick replies man. I'm just paranoid when it comes to my ride. I chit a small kitten when i get a scratch or door ding!:) i just don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg getting the truck right again. I guess i deserve it. the funny thing is that i have been in deeper than that, but I guess sittin there waiting to get yanked out did my in. Sittin here looking at my truck gutted is adding to the nausea. :(

smokinhummer 01-12-2008 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

Josh,

If you pull the carpet out and clean it, let it completely air dry youmight be able to salvage it. One of the rightthings they did with the H1s was the vinyl flooring and drain plugs. The carpet and pad do help cut down on the road noise some but I agree, I wish Hummer would offer a wash down flooring option.
I would give this an attempt. You would be suprised what a good scrubing and air drying will do. Just think when you have your carpet shampoo'd they put a whole lot of water in the carpet (which soaks the pad). If you let it dry properly you could never know it. Good thing is all electrical is working fine. My opinion is I would not take it to the dealer for any work. If you do need a new pad I would find it on the net or check with a localupholstery shop. They may want to void something on your warranty.

PS Not to change the subject completely, but I was at Spring Creek today. Where did this happen? Good Luck

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:43 PM

Not to change the subject completely, but I was at Spring Creek today. Where did this happen?
Back in the back left side were the big concrete drop off goes down to the spring.
The pad is soaked with that nasty stink ass mud. The soupy stuff. i tried to clean at first, but I think it is toast.

smokinhummer 01-12-2008 05:44 PM

3 hummers you are quick. You posted twice while I was typing.

Josh,
I'm with 3hummers it is probably not as bad as you think and do check with gmpartsdude he may give you some comfort. I know how you feel bro when it comes to your 3. I myself get sick at the thought.

smokinhummer 01-12-2008 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: josh1899

Not to change the subject completely, but I was at Spring Creek today. Where did this happen?
Back in the back left side were the big concrete drop off goes down to the spring.
The pad is soaked with that nasty stink ass mud. The soupy stuff. i tried to clean at first, but I think it is toast.
Damn, I almost went through there myself. The only thing that stopped me was it was my first time there, I was by myself, and the guy at the front told me not to cross the water. I thought it was because the property on the other side was not part of the park.

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:51 PM

I didn't cross. I got stuck in one of those three mud holes just before the drop off. [:@]

josh1899 01-12-2008 05:52 PM

I PMed Gmpartsdude and asked. Anyone know how often he's on the forum?

671H3 01-12-2008 06:55 PM

I hope everything goes well.

3hummers 01-12-2008 07:56 PM

partsdude is usually on everyday. It is Saturday so as hard as it might be try to be patient. he'll respond soon.

josh1899 01-12-2008 08:15 PM

Yea, he got back with me. He said he can get the carpet, and everything should be fine if i let it dry out a little. Seems like a real cool guy. I really appreciate everyones help. Sorry I was ranting earlier! I've since cooled a little, but I'm still :(! Once again, WHY does hummer not offer a rubber floor option or easily removable carpet with drain plugs? Jeeps, FJ's, hell even Honda elements have it. Why can't we?

3hummers 01-12-2008 08:25 PM

Trade up to the H1s, they have everything you just mentioned. Glad you are feeling better about things.

rhill20 01-12-2008 08:45 PM

Hey Josh, did you buy or lease? If you are buying it shouldn't be that hard to make what you are talking about. You could use that DURALINER, buy some rubber plugs and drill your holes to the size of the plugs then put the DURALINER on the flooring. Just a thought, I have beentoying with this ideamyself. Would make it louder in there but would be durable.

Before I get yelled at:DNo, I haven't looked at any of it and have no idea how plausable that idea is. JUST an idea. For what it's worth.

3hummers 01-12-2008 08:52 PM

Makes sense to me. I have always asked why GM didn't offer an off-road option for the serious off road, camping, hunting types. So many Hummer buyers spend a fortune outfitting the truck after they get it and GM is letting all of those dollars go somewhere else.

josh1899 01-13-2008 07:40 AM

Man it would really be tough. There are several wires and wiring harnesses to think about. Two to each seat. Then there are the vents that run from under the dash to the rear seat for heat. There is also a (mystery) cable that runs from under drivers side dash to middle of drivers side floorboard? Not to mention the 2 in thick wraps of cables running down each side of cab by doors! I really wish we could do it, but I think replacement carpet would be cheapest and easiest to do!;)

Muddydawg75 01-13-2008 10:31 AM

Glad you PM'd Gene and asked him....

Just everyone remember to be polite to him if it takes a day for a response. We are not his only customers. He is here to help us. He doesn't want to be treated like a punching bag. I only say that because I know that people get used to having him around and start to demand what isn't always possible.

nuff said....

Patches 01-13-2008 10:44 AM

I agree with Muddydawg75 about being considerate with Gene. In fact, he was unfairly bashed on the Corvette forum recently by a relative newbie and lots of grateful members came to his defense immediately. Gene has helped countless folks with parts location and problem solving over the years and is highly respected and valued for it. People need to be patient and understand that he does his best to help and often goes out of his way to do it.

Josh, best of luck with your repair - I'm sure you'll get the Alpha back in prime condition quickly.

Muddydawg75 01-13-2008 10:46 AM

yeah... that's what I was talking about... I read it and was annoyed...

josh1899 01-13-2008 11:23 AM

Gene got back with me very quickly and had all the information I needed. I REALLY appreciate his help.;) He's hooking me up with some carpet at a great price. I really hate that someone would burn that bridge. That's sad.......

gmpartsdude 01-13-2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here is the problem. Whether anyone realizes what personalized service is or not anymore, that is what I provide. There are many times and many days I spend emailing someone back and forth about a 5 dollar order and I don't really care that its only a 5 dollar order. They call me to add on to an order a couple of days after they ordered expecting to be able to do it after the order has been gone already.

I try to catch peoples mistakes in only ordering 1 water pump gasket (Corvette) or 1 valve cover gasket... double orders, wrong part numbers etc.

I get a couple of hundred emails per day.

Then some decide they want to use me for a punching bag. This past week I was really abused by some customers and yes, it got my dander up and I may not have been as pleasant as I could have been. But quite frankly, I get a little angry when I'm good to people and I start to be treated like I'm not a human. I then start to get taken advantage of. Thankfully, all of those who I've helped step in and offer their words of wisdom and help.

It is nothing I can't handle, but sometimes it gets the best of you when you had a week like I did last week!

Thanks for listening.

Oh yeah, one thing I didn't get to list on the other post... I even got screamed at and had a nasty message waiting for me on my voicemail thursday night. When I called to see what was wrong the guy apologized and said he was sorry because another vendor ripped him off for a couple thousand dollars and then he decided to call me. LOL. Again, I was a punching bag, but at least he was nice enough to admit I wasn't his problem to begin with, it was someone else.

rhill20 01-13-2008 02:31 PM

It's too bad people have to be that way. They treat people like you with disrespect then wonder why nobody will make an extra effort in customer service anymore. My hats off to you for keeping your head and attitude up. Believe me, I'm an Army Recruiter right now and I understand what you are talking about. I love when they yell at me for the war, like I am the one that started it:D. People are morons, just keep positive and you will get to the good ones. Thank you for all of the support that you provide us.

H34me 01-13-2008 06:14 PM

Man Josh, sorry to hear about your troubles. I know what a heart breaker that must be. Hang in there man, I am sure you'll get it back good as new before too long.

H34me

skeeet 01-15-2008 12:54 AM

I would just use the garden hose and wash/soap the carpet and under mat and if you had a shop vac I would vaccum as much water out as I could. Here in Arizona the carpet would dry out in 10 or 12 hours in the sun. Still after you clean it and dry it I bet it will look as good as new.[/align]I would buy some compressed air that they use to clean keyboards asget the moisture out of the connectors, if I could open the connectors I would put some di-electric grease in there.[/align]I do not think you did any major damage.[/align]I wonder if the floor pan needs cleaning if you could install drain holes to match some plastic drain caps you can buy at AutoZone and then wash the pan?[/align]

josh1899 01-15-2008 11:15 AM

It was a real pain. I advise everyone to double check what they are about to drive through, even if you've done it before. As far as the carpet, I tried to clean and scrub. It just has too much mud in it. If it were just water, I could see it being salvagable. Here in Houston though, the humidity would have it stinking to high hell in no time. So just bought some new carpet. As far as the floor plan, well it had an inch of mud in it, and was a bitch to clean due to all the rivets and welds along the middle and edges. the only drain holes I had to use were the seat mounting holes, which were raised and not much help. The wiring harnesses running down each side were soaked, but there are no connectors there, just a ton of wires wrapped in elec tape. Took tape off, air dried and wiped wires, and will be re-wrapping in ALOT more electrical tape. I came up with an idea for preventable maint. for the future. Before i install new carpet, I am going to lay down those ZORBEES I know everyone has seen them on TV. I tested one out, and it really does work in sucking up ALOT of water. I figured that If I laid those down, then the carpet, they would suck up any water, and keep it out of the pad long enough for the carpet to be removed. I DON'T think this will happen again, but it will be nice insurance. It should also have an added benefit of more insulation. I'll take pics of install when i get the carpet.

Trey124 01-16-2008 03:28 PM

That's the one thing that bothers me, everyone sees the same ads right? Hummers are built for off road but not to be a mudding vehicle! I don't get it, these vehicles weigh over 2 tons and can't go flying through thick/deep mud. It troubles me to see people getting their Hummers trashed because they think that Hummers are indestructable. This isn't meant as a rant against anyone, just seen it to many times on the trails.
Glad to hear that everything is going to be ok with your Hummer, put up the pictures when it's finished.

josh1899 01-17-2008 12:07 AM

I have seen the ads, and I by no means think my truck is designed for mudding or indestructible(obviously). I do however believe that Hummer Markets it's vehicles to avid off-roaders who do in fact come across mud every now and then. The vehicle itself performed great and didn't let me down or strand me. I actually don't like the mud because it usually results in 2 hours of clean-up for 10 min of fun. I was exiting a part of the off-road park, and driving through a muddy puddle I had driven through a week prior(only way out through trees). Someone must have been running back and forth through the puddle, because it was MUCH deeper and nastier. That's why I got burried in the first place because I was not carrying any speed through the puddle, and realized my error too late. I assure you it was not due to over-confidence on my part but in-attention. It was definitely not a "Hey Yall watch this" moment. I have learned from my mistake, and will not be attempting obsticles that i don't explore on foot first!

AussieH3 01-17-2008 03:16 AM

Are you going to get cashmere carpets again, or black instead?

Then there is alway pink .... hey rhill20 :D

Trey124 01-17-2008 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: josh1899

I have seen the ads, and I by no means think my truck is designed for mudding or indestructible(obviously). I do however believe that Hummer Markets it's vehicles to avid off-roaders who do in fact come across mud every now and then. The vehicle itself performed great and didn't let me down or strand me. I actually don't like the mud because it usually results in 2 hours of clean-up for 10 min of fun. I was exiting a part of the off-road park, and driving through a muddy puddle I had driven through a week prior(only way out through trees). Someone must have been running back and forth through the puddle, because it was MUCH deeper and nastier. That's why I got burried in the first place because I was not carrying any speed through the puddle, and realized my error too late. I assure you it was not due to over-confidence on my part but in-attention. It was definitely not a "Hey Yall watch this" moment. I have learned from my mistake, and will not be attempting obsticles that i don't explore on foot first!
Josh I didn't mean anything by my rant, It wasn't directed towards you. It's directed more to the other Hummer owners that might be reading your thread, It kills me to see newbies that never read the manual out on the trail thinking their Hummer can't get damaged. I even stopped one H2 driver on a trail to let him know that he was going to get his running boards bent up trying to go over this log and his response was oh well I'll buy a new one when I get home. And than there's my post of the H3 who swamped his truck on the first day he ever took it off road and it was totalled. To that guy's credit he knew it was his fault and went out and bought another H3, but this time he's going to learn how to drive it properly.

josh1899 01-17-2008 10:59 AM

Josh I didn't mean anything by my rant, It wasn't directed towards you.
It's cool man, no worries!;)

Are you going to get cashmere carpets again, or black instead?
cashmere. I thought about clack for a second but i already have tan Weathertech floorliners, and thought that would look like a weird combo!

Doc Olds 01-17-2008 12:25 PM

Ther is an OLD off road rule that I follow to the T!!!! Always. May seem too conservative for some, but I never drowned yet.

Gos like this: If you can't see the bottom of a puddle, or you do not know exactly how deep it is, avoid it no matter how seemingly small!

Gene the GMpartsdude is awesome. I ordered a little chickenchit part (the console tray) and he gave me a shipping discount like you cannot believe!!!!

I just do not understad why Hummer makes that stupid plastic tray standard on the Lux H3, but not on the Base of Adventure??? WTF Are they that desparate for another $10.00 profit margin????

Trey124 01-17-2008 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL:
I just do not understad why Hummer makes that stupid plastic tray standard on the Lux H3, but not on the Base of Adventure??? WTF Are they that desparate for another $10.00 profit margin????
Don't you know Doc Olds, that's where GM makes all it's profit..lol.