Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   I sank my HUMMER; now the security system is going nuts? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/i-sank-my-hummer%3B-now-security-system-going-nuts-20945/)

85_305 09-17-2010 11:35 PM

I sank my HUMMER; now the security system is going nuts?

Long story short. I succumbed to peer pressure by my best friend. I drove into a hole that I knew I would get swamped in, having stock bald tires, and the cab flooded before I could be recovered. That electronic doo-hickey that goes up in the pedal-area was swamped; the horn started honking, wipers going (even w/out key in), all kinds of stuff. So after I recovered the truck and things started drying out, finally the blinkers started acting normal, the seats still worked, horn worked etc. But the security light keeps doing weird things and is cutting off the fuel. I'm pretty stumped here. I had the truck dropped off at the dealership for them to look at in the morning.

Any clues to what it is? Is it that module in the pedal-area that just needs to dry out? Or does it sound fried?

I'm hoping the dealership doesn't dick with me, but if they do I need to have a backup plan and a general idea of whats up.

Widespread Hummer 09-18-2010 07:32 AM

It may sound like a long shot but check your door switches. The little buttons that depress when your door closes. When I first got my H3 a loose seal on the roof allowed water to drip down(just a couple drops)through the body and on to the switch when it rained. I would be out of the truck for 30 seconds maybe and the alarm would start going off. Took a while to figure out but when I pulled the switch it was corroded. Changed it out (and had the seal fixed), no problems since then.

What happened to 33"s making winches unnecessary? I think you could have BTM'd that thing out if your T-bars weren't cranked.

85_305 09-18-2010 11:23 AM

I dont have 33's; I have stock wranglers that cant even hold a penny in the threads they are so bald.

But the alarm isn't actually going off; but the buttons on the remote dont work, and I cant start the truck 'cuz the alarm icon is constantly illuminated doing funky stuff.

Quiksilver-H3 09-18-2010 05:25 PM

Yeah I got water in my Hummer H3 like the first day I got her. There was about 3" of water in it. I started having problems about two months later. one day I left my keys in my ignition and worked for about an hour I came back and my car was locked with my keys still in the ignition ( if you own an H3 u know that the doors won't lock if the keys still in the ignition), so I figured it'd be an electrical problem. The next day I took her to the old Hummer dealership and they said there a ECU under the front passenger side carpet and they said that the connectors were all corroded. That's probably it. But if you got more than that wet it all depends on how acidic the water was. When I sunk my H3 for good I saw it with the interior all ripped out and you'd be suprise about the amount of wires and connectors. There mostly all in the front driver and passenger sides. Good luck man, its gonna be a nightmare. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just speaking from experienc3.

whatever 09-18-2010 09:18 PM

You need to find some new friends. Or, work on your self esteem.

85_305 09-18-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quiksilver-H3 (Post 232907)
Yeah I got water in my Hummer H3 like the first day I got her. There was about 3" of water in it. I started having problems about two months later. one day I left my keys in my ignition and worked for about an hour I came back and my car was locked with my keys still in the ignition ( if you own an H3 u know that the doors won't lock if the keys still in the ignition), so I figured it'd be an electrical problem. The next day I took her to the old Hummer dealership and they said there a ECU under the front passenger side carpet and they said that the connectors were all corroded. That's probably it. But if you got more than that wet it all depends on how acidic the water was. When I sunk my H3 for good I saw it with the interior all ripped out and you'd be suprise about the amount of wires and connectors. There mostly all in the front driver and passenger sides. Good luck man, its gonna be a nightmare. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just speaking from experienc3.

Ya I'm pretty positive that ecu you are talking about is what did it. The truck was running great in the water until my dumbass friend opened the door and let the pond rush into the truck.

Originally Posted by whatever (Post 232922)
You need to find some new friends. Or, work on your self esteem.

Believe me; I wasn't happy. He felt bad so he hopped into the water and hooked my truck up to my buddies cummins to be recovered. AND he bought me McD's to make up for it.

Surfincoastie 09-18-2010 11:00 PM

have any photos?

Hummer Aficionado_VT 09-19-2010 12:28 AM

I'm really impressed with how you've grown. You followed a lot of important common sense rules in this scenario: First off, wheeling on bald tires is always a great idea. Who needs traction, right? Secondly, succumbing to peer-pressure is always a great idea -- especially when, like you said, you knew you'd get swamped in this obstacle. As long as you knew you would get stuck, it makes it less important that you did so, and puts less blame on you. Besides, doing what your buddy suggests is always more important that what the actual driver thinks of the situation. If I were your Cummins buddy I'd feel bad too...but not too bad: America's Funniest Home Videos always needs filler. You could put the $100 prize towards a new PCM, carpeting and/or engine.

But hey, at least you got some free Mickey D's out of the deal!

85_305 09-19-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Surfincoastie (Post 232934)
have any photos?

Ya I've got photos and a video. I'll prolly post them up in a week or so.

Originally Posted by Hummer Aficionado_VT (Post 232939)
I'm really impressed with how you've grown. You followed a lot of important common sense rules in this scenario: First off, wheeling on bald tires is always a great idea. Who needs traction, right? Secondly, succumbing to peer-pressure is always a great idea -- especially when, like you said, you knew you'd get swamped in this obstacle. As long as you knew you would get stuck, it makes it less important that you did so, and puts less blame on you. Besides, doing what your buddy suggests is always more important that what the actual driver thinks of the situation. If I were your Cummins buddy I'd feel bad too...but not too bad: America's Funniest Home Videos always needs filler. You could put the $100 prize towards a new PCM, carpeting and/or engine.

But hey, at least you got some free Mickey D's out of the deal!

Well my buddies bargaining chip was, if I got stuck he'd have someone there in 10 mins to pull me out.

Oh and he did... a 2wd Canyon.

Mr. Fancy Pants 09-19-2010 08:55 AM

sounds like you still have water in the modules shorting out the circuit....I'd pull everything apart and clean/dry it.