Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   I love my H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/i-love-my-h3-22775/)

CARdiac 01-29-2011 11:16 PM

I love my H3

Ok, I know it is a bit of a ridiculous title but it is true. I bought my 08 H3 Alpha in early December and had not really put it through any type of challenge other than hauling some gear and checking out some new cut roads.

I don't know if any of you saw the great fun we had in the DC area this past week but I was stuck in the middle of it. I work in DC and live 30 miles north west in MD. My commute is normally 40 minutes yet it took me 7.5 hours. Not because I was stuck but because I had to deal with everyone else. Well after 6 hours of traffic and only getting 10 miles I needed to get gas. I got off the highway and filled up. As I looked from the station I noticed I had two options... where I came from, well traveled and semi plowed roads that were at a standstill or the remainder of my drive on un-plowed roads... I chose the path less traveled. A jeep with a lift kit and big tires followed me and it was a blast!!! It was like a scene out of Mad-Max. Abandoned cars, buses, mail trucks, cop cars, etc all strewn across the road at funny angles where they got stuck. What made it even more spooky was the lack of power or lights across most of the area.

I am pleased and amazed at how well the H3 handled 12 inches of wet slippery snow. I had it in 4 Wheel high lock and never once felt as though I was not going to make it. We had to traverse a couple of downed trees (small ones) and at one point some idiot had plowed out his driveway into the street leaving a pile of snow about 3 feet high across the entire road. I saw it too late as it was around a corner and I ended up hitting the edge of it and the H3 barely blinked. I was on all side roads so they were twisty and at times you could not tell if you were on a road or not.

Sorry this is so long, but I could have written even more describing the crazy conditions but it was all handled by the H3. Funny side note, a doctor I work with rented a 4x4 at the airport and they gave him a H3. He tried to buy it from the rental car company he like it so much (he drove my route about a half hour behind me).

I got home and thanked my wife for letting me buy the H3 and not pushing for a XC90 (which I say a lot of on the side of the road).

drtom 01-29-2011 11:31 PM

great story,good commercial if hummer was still in business!!
i especially enjoyed reading it here,warm and toasty in bed with a hot cup of coffee!!

tell me about your tires since i do not have your confidence with my bridgestone 285 duellers.

CARdiac 01-30-2011 12:17 AM

Believe it or not, the tires are the stock 265s. Good tread left on them, did well in the snow.

bma1977 01-30-2011 09:39 AM

I joined this forum 2 days ago because i was thinking of buying an H3 and this story really makes me want one now! I live in Philadelphia and we got around 15 inches in the last storm.

JBROEREN 01-30-2011 01:29 PM

AWESOME STORY!!!! I only wish we could get some of your guys's harsh snowey weather here in Oregon!!!!!

deebocubs 01-31-2011 11:35 PM

Sounds fun...We have a blizzard coming into the Chicagoland area tomorrow... cant wait to zip around in the Hummer.

xpepsi2008x 02-01-2011 12:29 AM

we got more snow comming here to buffalo- ower first big storm i had alot of fun lol i pretty much did same as him except tad bit differnt all my friends were calling me to come pull them out of the snow haha lol i love this truck and for me only being 25yrs old i hope this truck never dies lol deff will buy another one!

mthoodh3 02-01-2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JBROEREN (Post 241892)
AWESOME STORY!!!! I only wish we could get some of your guys's harsh snowey weather here in Oregon!!!!!

Seriously! its supposed to be sunny for like a week straight. what's up with that haha. Although when it comes to portland I'll take the snow in the mountains and rain in town. Last year we got about a half inch of snow in town and there was practically a state of emergency. It didn't matter what I was driving, I couldn't move because of what everyone else was driving! but when I did start moving is when I first fell in love with my h3. This thing kills in the snow.

igotahummer 02-01-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by deebocubs (Post 241990)
Sounds fun...We have a blizzard coming into the Chicagoland area tomorrow... cant wait to zip around in the Hummer.

supposed to big the biggest storm since the late 60s not looking forward to driving anything in this one lol

drtom 02-01-2011 11:53 AM

yet it took me 7.5 hours. Not because I was stuck but because I had to deal with everyone else. Well after 6 hours of traffic and only getting 10 miles I needed to get gas.
,!!

im thinking of someone in an all electric green whizbang,,freezing their xxx!! no gas?,no heat?,no go? cant borrow a gallon!

um a hummin

joewcob3 02-01-2011 12:39 PM

Our turn in Michigan -- in my area, 30 miles outside Detroit, we are supposed to get 11 to 16 inches tonight and tomorrow morning. Can't wait!!!!!

H3driver 02-01-2011 12:57 PM

Make sure you turn off the traction controll. I got mine stuck in 2 feet of snow while in 4 high lock. I didn't think to turn off the tc untill it was too late. After some digging and rocking it back and forth I finnaly got out.

CARdiac 02-01-2011 09:00 PM

I left mine on, no problems in 4 high lock... the traction control only kicked in when I took a turn a little fast and some jackhole had plowed his driveway into the road, about a 3 foot pile. In 4 high open the traction control was kicking in a bit more. Not sure I do enough extreme driving for Airlockers but it is tempting....

igotahummer 02-02-2011 10:57 AM

found something that stops a hummer 2 feet of snow at the end of my driveway got stuck in 4 low had to dig it out doesnt help i have highway tires on it lol

joewcob3 02-02-2011 04:37 PM

Only got 8 to 9" where I am at last night. This is the first significant snow that I got to use the Revos in (last winter was cr@p). Really surprised how much better my H3 performs with the Dueler Revos on it vs the cheap OEM Wrangler RTS tires that came on it. No problems today - even in the 2 - 2.5' drifts (many on my street). I am a happy camper. I still want the 16 inch snowfall that was promised.

VoL1No1 02-03-2011 06:26 PM

My wife bought a H3 Alpha with big Mud Terrain Tires & I hate driving my Truck now. Just drive hers, now I want a H2 Truck!

TAINTER 02-03-2011 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by joewcob3 (Post 242144)
Only got 8 to 9" where I am at last night. This is the first significant snow that I got to use the Revos in (last winter was cr@p). Really surprised how much better my H3 performs with the Dueler Revos on it vs the cheap OEM Wrangler RTS tires that came on it. No problems today - even in the 2 - 2.5' drifts (many on my street). I am a happy camper. I still want the 16 inch snowfall that was promised.

Yeah, we got about 9" here @ Square Lake Rd. and I-75. I still had to tow some neighbors and friends out of driveways and ditches. Hey, it's all in a days work for our HUMMERs!:D

donkttu 02-04-2011 12:59 PM

We got 5 inches of snow last night in Dallas...so we now have 5 inches of snow on top of 2 inches of ice...it's pretty fun driving down the road, we don't get to do this that often.

I got to pull some people out on the trails behind my house where i take the Hummer to get dirty.

Even did a good deed for a guy in a Jeep with a flat tire today...

brachilius 02-04-2011 01:49 PM

These are all very similar experiences to what I encountered last year during the Feb. blizzard. Living in south western PA, we got 27" of snow in about a 24 hour period. The day the snow ended, and before any plowing, my next door neighbor asked if I could drive him to his parents house about 3 miles away. They are in their 90s and he makes sure they take their medications every day. We jumped in the H3 and were driving through 27" of snow with now major issues. 4wd lo and the front and rear lockers engaged was necessary for some of the larger hills. We made it there fine. It is an exceptional vehicle in snow as long as you drive within reason. Any vehicle will slide if you are going to fast...but very few can get moving in the deep stuff.

tate2326 02-04-2011 06:17 PM

question

maybe a dumb question.... but why do you wan't the traction control off when 4x4ing?

CARdiac 02-04-2011 06:49 PM

Does ARB make airlockers for the H3 Alpha?

RKSmith163 02-04-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tate2326 (Post 242269)
maybe a dumb question.... but why do you wan't the traction control off when 4x4ing?

If a tire looses traction, it will brake that tire sending power to the opposite side. In certain situations you may want to turn off your Stabilitrac. It is all covered in your owners manual. You can search this forum and find out more plus there are a lot of videos on Youtube showing the traction control working on the H3's. From what I have seen, a lot of people lift too soon not allowing the Traction Control to engage.