Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Hummer OEM GPS is FAKE! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/hummer-oem-gps-fake-18597/)

iPhone 03-07-2010 10:35 AM

Hummer OEM GPS is FAKE!

It's my only conclusion!

When I got my H3, I was really surprised with the navigation: it is NOT "GPS" by definition. You need to calibrate it manually to wherever you are. Once done, fine, it works for a bit, but eventually it WILL go off course because it is NOT contacting a satellite at any point in time. Rather, it is simply locking onto lines (roads) on the nav's DVD. So, once you get to a new road that isn't on the map, you're screwed and need to recalibrate! If you're genuinely lost and are actually USING the GPS and this happens, it's VERY ANNOYING!!!

So, I thought maybe my nav is defective or something and kind of ignored this issue. But then, I had another nav issue where I wanted to eject the DVD disc behind it. Long story short, when it opened, the plastic that holds it in exploded (for lack of a better word). Luckily it was covered under warranty.

So, I had it replaced under warranty - I got a BRAND NEW OEM navigation system. And guess what? It's still fake GPS.

Just thought I'd let any of you potential buyers of an H3 who are considering paying more for the Luxury Package with Nav - the GPS IS FAKE and AT NO POINT CONTACTS A SATELITE. There are 200$, even 100$ GPS units that you can buy at Best Buy that will do a 5000% better job than this piece of **** navigation system.

I really hope I'm wrong about this but with a brand new nav system that STILL doesn't work, how can I be wrong?

iPhone 03-07-2010 10:45 AM

Edit: just for "disclosure" I am still using the 06 Maps DVD from GM, but if the solution is to upgrade to the 09/10 disc then that is even more proof that it never once contacts a satelite.

006h3 03-09-2010 09:42 AM

I haven't had that problem with the factory NAV in my '06. I do have the 09 disc though. Do a search, someone posted a number you can call and get a free updated NAV disc. You just have to provide your VIN number when you call. I think you get 2 free upgrades.

I would think it's more a problem with the antenna though. I've had mine off roads many times with no re-calibration needed.

The GPS iteself still sux though IMO. The POI database on it blows compared to a Garmin. Also, not being able to plug in an address or even a memory point while driving really sux.

PaulB 03-09-2010 10:39 AM

Quote: The GPS iteself still sux though IMO. The POI database on it blows compared to a Garmin. Also, not being able to plug in an address or even a memory point while driving really sux.

I agree. It's ridiculous that your passenger at least can't type in an address. Plus, the estimated time of arrival is based on the speed limit of the roads on your route, NOT the actual speed you are driving. Garmin and others constantly recalculate and update this info!!! Even my twelve-year old aviation GPS for my airplane does this!

iPhone 03-10-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 006h3 (Post 219473)
I haven't had that problem with the factory NAV in my '06. I do have the 09 disc though. Do a search, someone posted a number you can call and get a free updated NAV disc. You just have to provide your VIN number when you call. I think you get 2 free upgrades.

I would think it's more a problem with the antenna though. I've had mine off roads many times with no re-calibration needed.

The GPS iteself still sux though IMO. The POI database on it blows compared to a Garmin. Also, not being able to plug in an address or even a memory point while driving really sux.

I did some searching, if anyone is interested, the number is 18776283472

However, I called and apparently they stopped offering this service to 06 and 07 Hummers in 2008. Since mine is 06 I unfortunately can't get it free. I guess you need to have an 08-present Hummer to take advantage of this.

Could the fact that my H3 is from Florida be effecting this? I of course have changed the geographical region on the GPS from the US to Canada (where I live) yet I still have this problem.

It's weird - the other day, I noticed it went off course after I passed a major highway intersection that has recently been redesigned. The next day, I actually saw the GPS attempt to correct itself. But this is the weird part. If it was real GPS, you'd think it would just automatically re-position itself to the correct location.

What mine did, however, was weird - it actually came from "nowhere" and I watched the little arrow slowly "merge" itself from "nothing" onto the road I was actually on (which was just a straight highway). Weird!

Ricky_Racer 03-10-2010 03:14 PM

I think that the actual maps are on the DVD if its a new road and old map then your lost. The GPS does get a fix off satellites it could not work otherwise. You probably just need an updated DVD. The nav unit that came in my wife's car actually has a hard drive that also stores music when ever you put a CD in the deck that has not been played before it will automatically record it to the hard drive. Updates to this nav also come on dvd but once you run the DVD you are done.

Ricky_Racer 03-10-2010 03:21 PM

I just tried the 8776283472 number above. I was told it does not matter what year your H3 is they are no longer providing update disc's to anyone. The lady said she would be happy to sell me a 2009 disc for $200.00 dollars

iPhone 03-10-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dublatime (Post 219594)
iphone I can send you the 2009 H3 Nav disc info (iso) if you want it.

Hey! That sounds great! But.... I have NO idea how to do ISO/torrents and stuff. Can you walk me through it?

Bblythe2334 09-19-2011 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Racer (Post 219584)
I think that the actual maps are on the DVD if its a new road and old map then your lost. The GPS does get a fix off satellites it could not work otherwise. You probably just need an updated DVD. The nav unit that came in my wife's car actually has a hard drive that also stores music when ever you put a CD in the deck that has not been played before it will automatically record it to the hard drive. Updates to this nav also come on dvd but once you run the DVD you are done.

The maps are regularly available on the internet for download .If you wanted fully updatable you would to subscribe with IG8.The DVD navigation post let know about that.

DallaSStx 09-19-2011 09:02 PM

My H3T has nav... disc and manual is still in the wrapper and it will stay that way... the iPhone is much better for my nav needs !!