PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Locking Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Cool H3 Locking Fuel Door

Ok everyone ---- Looking for the best bang for the buck on a locking fuel door for my H3 I just purchased. Here is where I am at at this point.

I see numerous vendors and sites for fuel doors, and even searched on the install threads for which to buy, so here's my questions:

1. Mounting styles seem to vary with brands.
a. some use tape to secure the door to the plastic fuel bezzle, some screw on
b. some look like the actual openning door is smaller than others

Questions:

1. Which type of fuel door "OEM Hummer" or "aftermarket" fits better ?

2. Does the size of the openning matter for access and fueling ?

3. Other than "Two sided Tape", are there better methods to mount doors ?

Let me know what your best judgement is. I'm all ears !!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM

When I did my research for the same I came across the most bang for the buck was the locking fuel caps which are by far the cheapest easiest way to protect your fuel tank. I wanted the look of the fuel door and with that I never saw any that used only the double sided tape. Many have the tape and also require you to remove the fuel bucket and screw in from the rear to actually secure the door to the bucket. I can't really answer which fit better as I've only done the one, but I imagine they are all relatively similar. I went with the black defenderworx with the hummer logo. It's pretty much a look thing and if you want any protection definitely make sure it come with the mounts to screw into, if it really is just double sided tap if you have access to a drill press mount it up to the bucket and toss 4 or 5 holes in it and put some screws back there to secure it. With the H3 you have to make sure the door you order fits the contour on the side of the truck or it won't look good.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Pauldy

Thanks for your input. I will check the Defender site out also.

Hopefully more will chime in here to help me make a decision and purchase one.

Still undecided on "Chrome or Black" but since my H3 is black, it may look better to go with the black. ----- It has chrome grill and door handles so I'm sure either will look ok

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

I also went with the black lockable Defenderworx. Overall, it works good and installation was simple enough. I'm pleased. Just make sure that the screws that attach from the back, which help secure the door to the "plastic fuel bucket," are flush with the plastic fuel bucket. If the screws stick out some, they'll keep the the fuel bucket from seating properly and fitting flush with the fender when the go to put the fuel bucket back in place.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

thermalfrost

Thanks for the input --- I'll keep that in mind

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM

I have a 2007 H3X that came with an OEM Hummer logo fuel door (via the Chrome Package perhaps), but I want a Locking door. So I bought the Defenderworx one and it is 8 1/4 inches in diameter versus the OEM door on my H3 now that is 7 1/2 inches in diameter. Can you help me with what is going on here? The door on my H3 now seems to be mounted on a rubber cone or something that maybe results in the smaller diameter. Maybe that rubber piece has to come off first in order to mount the Defenderworx locking door? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM

I really like this one: http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_B...p/ao-5fldb.htm

It's reasonably priced compared to most of them and looks nice in the pictures. Anyone have any idea how it mounts and how good the quality is? It's hard to tell by the dinky picture.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_T
I really like this one: http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_B...p/ao-5fldb.htm

It's reasonably priced compared to most of them and looks nice in the pictures. Anyone have any idea how it mounts and how good the quality is? It's hard to tell by the dinky picture.
This is the fuel door that I purchased from another vendor. Your price is very good. I paid $ 123.00 for mine and i thought I was getting a good deal because most others were in the <$ 200 range.

Mounting of this fuel door requires very little effort. Just install the hardware and pieces of filler tape and screw into the existing plastic inside factory filler. I thought it was a little cheesy with the mounting but it has held up well and does not scratch the paint. This fuel door also covers the complete plastic bezel so it looks nicer than the ones that mount on top of the plastic filler.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the input Slash! I'm definitely going to get that one. It looks nice and seems like a good product. Do you have any pictures of yours? The picture on their website is only a close-up...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_T
Thanks for the input Slash! I'm definitely going to get that one. It looks nice and seems like a good product. Do you have any pictures of yours? The picture on their website is only a close-up...
I don't have any pictures up close of the fuel door, but I will try to remember to take one tomorrow and post it as soon as possible