Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Had to replace my transmission... (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/had-replace-my-transmission-37047/)

teebo 06-27-2016 08:31 AM

Had to replace my transmission...

So I bought my 2007 Hummer H3 from what I thought was a reputable dealership and on the 7th day of ownership the transmission crapped out. Mileage was at 130,000 roughly. I was going out of town on vacation with my family and half way through the trip it just stopped shifting. Pulled into a mechanic and was very nice in helping me through the whole ordeal.

Question one:

As I bought the car "As-Is" i guess I'm stuck. I called them and they only offered 20% to assist with repair costs.

Should I accept or push for more???

Thanks. Any help appreciated. :confused:

Doc Olds 06-27-2016 09:50 AM

I find the old.... Dose of Reality often helps.

You bought a 9 year old vehicle as is, then something gave out. So how does one predict when an Auto Trans will stop working? Any vehicle system failure can happen brand new, more so after 9 years and over 100K miles.

At nine years old and 130K miles, something can break tomorrow without warning, no way to tell until it happens.

Every 4L60E I have ever had in whatever vehicle needed a rebuild at around 120K miles. So I would have expected that.

teebo 06-27-2016 09:55 AM

I of course understand all that but looking at the transmission it appears to be a pre-existing condition. Transmission's can me helped to get along a little while and than give out. Remember the old saw dust tricks from yester year?

But thanks for the dose of reality. :rolleyes:

bflank 06-27-2016 02:05 PM

If you have any doubts about the condition of an "as-is" vehicle, it's worth paying a mechanic (not at the same dealership) to do a thorough prepurchase inspection. Then if you find something you can bargain or walk away. If they won't let you have a prepurchase inspection, don't walk away - run.

teebo 06-27-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bflank (Post 337453)
If you have any doubts about the condition of an "as-is" vehicle, it's worth paying a mechanic (not at the same dealership) to do a thorough prepurchase inspection. Then if you find something you can bargain or walk away. If they won't let you have a prepurchase inspection, don't walk away - run.

It was and without opening up Trans. they said there was no way of knowing for sure. There was no metal shaving or anything funny to the fluid.

rsc 06-28-2016 09:16 AM

Agreed, the dealer could have flushed the fluid and put a can of "fix-a-tranny" in it just to get it off the lot. It would not show up on a mechanic's check out of the vehicle. It's buyer beware when buying a used vehicle. I would try to get them to go to 50% and be happy if you only got 20% to help with the rebuild.