Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   H3T Expedition Rack (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/h3t-expedition-rack-24017/)

Sugarphreak 05-08-2011 11:14 AM

H3T Expedition Rack

About 2 months ago I started looking for a way to mount my spare tire somewhere other than under the bed... but also not in the box of my truck. Anytime I have to run to the dump, or pick up drywall... or pretty much anything where I need the bed I have to leave my spare tire at home, it was getting pretty tiresome.

The other issue I have is overhead clearance, the spare tire directly on a roof rack just wouldn't fit in my downtown parkade stall or garage.

So it took a while to get it right, but with the help of a local fabricator this is what I came up with. It still needs a few clips for shovels added, also to be sandblasted & Rhino-Lined, but so far it is working great for my needs!

Recovery21 06-25-2011 07:58 PM

WOW! I can't believe nobody responded to this! I still love it and it gives the truck a nice serious look to it. It turned out amazing and functional! If you had the time, I'm sure you could make some good money off of that if you were to start producing those.

Muddydawg75 06-25-2011 09:13 PM

well.... if that awful road armor fiasco did one thing for you it had to put you in the fabrication frame of mind....

that looks like you could easily have a bed camper with very little effort...

CBphoto 06-25-2011 11:12 PM

mmmmmm...ok, I'll bite...why the hell not leave it where it is under the bed???? I've wheeled a lot of places with my T, and never did my spare 35" tire slow me down or stop me..in fact, it acts as a let-down cushion when coming off a hard angle.

Nice rack, but with that I can't fit my dirtbikes, or 4 wheeler, or tonneau cover onto/into the bed.

Muddydawg75 06-25-2011 11:23 PM

Mud, rocks, snow, slush.... I could think of a few places that I wouldn't want to get the tire from...

Recovery21 06-26-2011 07:35 AM

How did your tire fit under there? When I went to put mine under there, it hit on the trailer hitch and was hanging down instead of pulling tight to the truck. Plus, tires aren't cheap. I know I would hate to take the chance and destroy it then end up having to need it. Mine is just floating in my bed now...

TAINTER 06-26-2011 11:28 PM

I too have a 315 STT spare under Mr. "T" and haven't removed it for wheeling. It does act as a "cushion" and has kept our bumper from becoming a shovel and the bumper still looks pretty good.

Jesse, I have installed everything from a 315 MTZ to a 35x12.50R16 SSR under Mr. "T" with no issues. You just have to be careful to center the tire so the sidewall lines up the the 2 steel "bumpers" under the bed when winding it back up. I'll show ya @ Drummond!:D

Recovery21 06-27-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 252748)
I too have a 315 STT spare under Mr. "T" and haven't removed it for wheeling. It does act as a "cushion" and has kept our bumper from becoming a shovel and the bumper still looks pretty good.

Jesse, I have installed everything from a 315 MTZ to a 35x12.50R16 SSR under Mr. "T" with no issues. You just have to be careful to center the tire so the sidewall lines up the the 2 steel "bumpers" under the bed when winding it back up. I'll show ya @ Drummond!:D

No can do. My tire measures 35 1/4". I tried centering it but it just hit the trailer hitch. So with that issue, I got rid of the winching system. I was using my bumper as a shovel even with the 33 under there. I'm not too concerned with it. Also like Stan said, it would suck to have to get under the truck in the winter to get the tire out from under there. Luckily I haven't had to yet and I hope I never do. But if I do, I will stay warm. :)

CBphoto 06-27-2011 11:17 PM

I did nothin' special, just centered my Cooper STT 315/75/R16 in the mount below. I've wheeled Drummond Island, Rocks & Valleys, and Rausch Creek with the spare as is, never an issue whatsoever. Never have cut a spare, only driven tires!

Although I can see your points about having to change the tire in poor conditions, you'll need to all MAN UP.....if you have pretty clothes on that you don't want to ruin, push the little Blue botton & let OnStar do it for you, Princesses....might take 6 or 8 hrs, but if your dress is expensive, it might be worth it. Or put on a big condom over your clothes. Do your husbands wheel also?

C'mon Jesse, work that tire in there...it'll fit.

:)

CBphoto 06-27-2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Recovery21 (Post 252755)
No can do. My tire measures 35 1/4". I tried centering it but it just hit the trailer hitch.

You got an after-market trailer hitch Jesse? Mine is stock 2010 HUMMER, no issues at all, your's is an '09, right? Maybe the configuration is different, but MU's is an '09 stock I think...so maybe you've just got to torch some xtra metal off of that trailer hitch? Get under it & send a pic, we'll compare, I can bring a torch up to Drummond Island to fix that for you. :):)

You an official Electrician now? Pass the test??? I'm gonna assume you're now a Union Man, will treat you accordingly...nobody at camp will be allowed to touch ANY electrical cord/outlet/appliance without your approval or safety inspection.

CB