Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Glove box latch broke (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/glove-box-latch-broke-23736/)

atv jr 04-12-2011 09:33 PM

Glove box latch broke

My glove box latch broke off in my hand today. Never any rough handling involved. As I looked at the broken part I thought "what a piece of crap"
Very poor design!

So I drove directly to my dealer. I asked if they had seen this before. The service writer told me he had seen one other one, and, strangely enough, they had had the parts in stock.

Guess what, they had the parts today, also. I was in and out in less than an hour, and got a wash job and an interior vacuum as well.

I thought that if the dealer has an obscure part like this in stock, it must be a bigger problem than they let on.

So I did the forum search and found 5 threads concerning multiple box latch failures.

Warantee paid for this one, but what about when the warantee is up?

My dealer told me that because of my two previous clutch failures, GM would continue to take care of my clutch even after the warantee period.

Is that a policy at GM or just dealer hype?

Zip Tie Man5 04-12-2011 09:46 PM

This happened to me about three weeks ago, However I didn't take it to my dealer because they are too far and are as slow as **** cooling off. I only go to them for anything major. What broke is a small plastic clip that pulls the latch that opens the compartment. I agree its a very poor cheap design, And I fixed this issue with a little copperl wire that replaces the cheap plastic that pulls the latch. Just wired the bastard on and out of sight and its 1000% stronger than before. I'll snap a pic tomorrow after work and show you.

drtom 04-12-2011 10:44 PM

because of my two previous clutch failures, GM would continue to take care of my clutch even after the warantee period
im surprised that any manufacturer covers clutches at all,so ez to misuse and abuse.
seems like there was a guy,said he had over 100000 on original clutch,some do,some dont

the plastic?brake release,glove box, i think rough treatment, most will never break.

Shakedown St. 04-14-2011 08:47 AM

Just replaced mine too a few weeks back. Bought it online for 15 bucks I think, and was very easy to fix.

RKSmith163 04-14-2011 02:23 PM

I replaced 2 on my 08 myself. Much cheaper than driving 4 hr. round trip to the dealer. First break the screws were loose on it twisted when I closed it, the second time was my fault by trying to force an overloaded glove box shut. I am trying to be more careful on my 10 and I do check the screws occasionally to make sure they are snug.

Zip Tie Man5 04-14-2011 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as promised, Just some copper wire and headache saved. Closes like stock but it is definitely harder to break copper wire than another cheap plastic clip. A .02 cent fix !

drtom 04-14-2011 06:52 PM

nice work,thinking!

Hunner 04-15-2011 12:35 AM

Mine broke and was covered under warranty. It's a little early to start using bailing wire or copper wire on mine for what the vehicle cost. I ordered a spare. AND yes it is a piece of junk!
I remember when car parts that had to endure some wear were made out of metal. I don't keep my gloves in mine.

Zip Tie Man5 04-15-2011 05:29 PM

I agree Hunner, Unless I could fabricate a legit one out of some type of metal then the copper wire is going to do. I would bet the copper wire trick in tensile strength is more than twice as strong as a brand new plastic latch puller anyday. I just dont feel like going to my closest dealer in NYC just for that.

Broken Halo 04-15-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zip Tie Man5 (Post 248398)
I agree Hunner, Unless I could fabricate a legit one out of some type of metal then the copper wire is going to do. I would bet the copper wire trick in tensile strength is more than twice as strong as a brand new plastic latch puller anyday. I just dont feel like going to my closest dealer in NYC just for that.

Zip Tie Man.....doesn't this fix strike you as the perfect application for a nylon ZIP TIE!!:D