Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Fully locking electronic rear differential on H3??? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/fully-locking-electronic-rear-differential-h3-18858/)

aussiehummer 03-30-2010 02:15 AM

Fully locking electronic rear differential on H3???

Hi Guys,

Im a Aussie here in sunny Cairns. Im just about to pull the trigger on a 08 H3, Standard Model.

The Model I am looking at doesnt have the Fully locking electronic rear differential, 4.03:1 2-speed transfer case as its the Basic Model.

Do I need the Fully locking electronic rear differential to take this badboy off road? or do I spend an extra $3000US to get the H3 Adventure, next model up that does have it?

I wouldnt be taking it to extreme off road, mostly on road with the occasional gravel road , dirt track etc, no Camel Trophy Stuff.

Your expert advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Andre

Rajul_Al_Hummer 03-30-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by aussiehummer (Post 220856)
Hi Guys,

Im a Aussie here in sunny Cairns.

I'm a Brit here in sunnier Dubai :)

My 2007 H3 doesn't have the rear locker... just the standard 4lock and 4lowlock on the transfer.

I've had it off road in sand and gravel and its been just fine. I imagine in deep dry sand it might struggle (ie very soft dunes), but I'm going to put that to the test soon.

Autumn Walker 03-30-2010 06:32 AM

Speaking from experience as someone who recently purchased an '08 H3 without the locking differentials, for what you describe, you most certainly do not need the locking diffs.

Unless you plan on rock crawling or going through some serious mud / sand they are unnecessary.

As a comforting addition, ARB (based in Australia) makes a set of air lockers for the front and rear of the H3 so if you ever decide that you want them, for about the same price as the rear e-locker you could get on the 2008, you could have ARB air lockers front / rear.

Go ahead and purchase it, you'll love it. I just made a whole bunch of Jeep guys eat crow over the weekend. The H3 never got stuck, not even close to stuck and I even pulled out one of their Jeep Rubicons from a mud hole.

White08H3 03-30-2010 10:05 AM

I have an 08 Base (without diffs) right now and have been through heavy snow on stock tires and not really had a problem without lockers. I have been through some local gravel roads and little offroad and have never had a problem either. For what it sounds like you want to do, you will not have a problem :)

mthoodh3 03-31-2010 04:17 AM

i have an 06 H3 adventure package, but ive driven an 09 H3 base model for a few hundred miles. IMO there is a noticeable difference in ride quality between the adventure package and base. The adventure package has upgraded suspension which i think makes for a nicer ride.
but either way you're gonna love your H3...good luck!

Grizzly 03-31-2010 09:03 AM

What everyone else said. If you get into some hard core wheelin' and decide you want lockers, after markets like ARB are better than stock anyhow.

As for yankin our a Rubi, good job! 4 wheelin' is as much about skill as it is about the vehicle. I had a 2WD F150, 31 inch mud tires on a stock suspension and I used to go around people stuck in the mud on the way to the fishin' hole.

bflank 03-31-2010 10:52 AM

You probably don't need the Adventure. Personally I like the 1" bigger tires (and associated ground clearance) and the upgraded suspension and low range 4WD gear ratio - probably more than the locking rear diff.

For the kind of use you describe, I certainly wouldn't make it a mandatory feature.

Autumn Walker 03-31-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bflank (Post 220949)
You probably don't need the Adventure. Personally I like the 1" bigger tires (and associated ground clearance) and the upgraded suspension and low range 4WD gear ratio - probably more than the locking rear diff.

For the kind of use you describe, I certainly wouldn't make it a mandatory feature.

Is it only the Adventure that has the 4:1 ratio? I thought all of the automatic I5's had that low ratio... 3.61:1 or whatever it is.

Either way, if my rig doesn't have it, I don't miss it!

buddy 04-01-2010 05:47 PM

I think the on-road ride on the base model is much better/more comfortable than the adventure package model. The shocks aren't as stiff --- feels much better in my opinion. Not that that addresses your question at all :)

I think you'll like the base model just fine.

bflank 04-07-2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Autumn Walker (Post 220954)
Is it only the Adventure that has the 4:1 ratio? I thought all of the automatic I5's had that low ratio... 3.61:1 or whatever it is.

Either way, if my rig doesn't have it, I don't miss it!

To the best of my knowledge the 4:1 is only on the Adventure. You'll only miss it in the situation where you really need it - which may never happen. So far I've used it once - to pull a Polaris UTV out of the mud - stuck up to the floor boards. Although the H3 was on very soft mud it was able to pull the Polaris out very easily. It might have been just as easy without the 4:1 low range, but it was certainly nice.