Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Faded black exterior plastic (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/faded-black-exterior-plastic-30099/)

Mcpousnret 02-11-2013 05:09 PM

Faded black exterior plastic

New guy here. Just bought a 2005 H2. Love it. The black high impact plastic was faded. Went to you tube and searched restoring faded exterior plastic. It showed guys using heat gun to bring out pigment. It works and looks great.

Charlio 02-11-2013 05:32 PM

Nice! I also have a 03, what exactly did u do?

LoJac963 02-11-2013 08:32 PM

Personally I wouldn't use a heat gun against plastic anywhere.

There are threads all over on different products used to bring the plastic back.

I went with Griotts Bumper and Trim which was highly recommended from here. Works awesome and doesn't fade, its more of a dye then just a cover up.

Man1nboat 02-11-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963 (Post 292919)
Personally I wouldn't use a heat gun against plastic anywhere.

There are threads all over on different products used to bring the plastic back.

I went with Griotts Bumper and Trim which was highly recommended from here. Works awesome and doesn't fade, its more of a dye then just a cover up.

Did you use this on the interior? If so, how does it hold up? Is it shinny?

Mcpousnret 02-12-2013 10:15 AM

Faded black trim

It was easy to do. I first watched the you tube video and it works great. I was careful to try it on an out of the way spot. It worked great. The trip is to be uniform and even and it wasn't hard at all. I followed up with Mothers back to Black. Lojac963, I hear you, I was a little uneasy, but it's ok. Give it a try. I DID NOT use on interior. Have fun guys, by the way, great Forum.
I LOVE MY HUMMER!

H2CANEPADESIGN 02-12-2013 11:02 AM

I use the turtle wax black restorer. it has to be reapplied every few washes but its not greasy. one bottle will last years.

Allterrainblue07 02-16-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mcpousnret (Post 292910)
New guy here. Just bought a 2005 H2. Love it. The black high impact plastic was faded. Went to you tube and searched restoring faded exterior plastic. It showed guys using heat gun to bring out pigment. It works and looks great.

I was using Mothers Back to Black, doesn't work to well..changed to Turtle Was Trim Restorer..works better..however, I've been reading about Gtechniq C4, an even more permanent solution..I read that its pricey..here's the link...

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4

If you decide to try it..let us know how it works

Dan

LoJac963 02-16-2013 05:17 PM

guys search the forum for Griots. Its a dye and not a cover up like Back to Black or the other junk products out there. A ton of us has used it with great success.

Not to mention its half the price of that stuff linked above.