PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Exclamation Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?

I put some new rims on my Hummer H3 and ever since I put them on there is a message on the computer that says SERV TPM. I am guessing that I just need to reset it and sync it with the new rims? The new rims do have The censors in them also. I dont know how to sync the hummer with the new rims. Please help.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM

Is the tire light blinking ? . Or is the light solid ?. If it is blinking somthing is wrong with censors . If the light is solid just reset the system . put the tires to 35 p.s.i turn the light on and off 4 times .The horn should cherp twice . starting at the L.F tire let air out till you get one cherp . then moved to the R.F tire , R.R ,L.R . When it cherps twice it should be good to go . reset tire P.S.I to whats on your door placerd

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Lol! I've gotta be kiddin me right....?

That is the process for reseting... hahaha

Chris

Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Or you could read your own book like they did.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Actually, the TPMS relearn instructions in the manual aren't 100% accurate. Here are the instructions that someone else posted somewhere else that I saved a while back:

a) Check tire pressure on all tires to make sure you are at over 38 psi in all tires.
b) Set parking brake
c) Turn on Key, then quickly turn headlamps on and off 4 times
d) 2 horn beeps sound to signal you are now entering the 5 minute calibration mode. The User Manual is wrong since the TPM ICON does NOT FLASH as documented.
e) Go to left front tire and inflate or deflate for least 10 seconds
f) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
g) Go to right front tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
h) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
i) Go to right rear tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
j) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
k) Go to left rear tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
l) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
m) Turn the key to off to lock position - most people would conclude the reset should be done at this point.

Notes:

Doc Olds pointed out to me in the past that step #9 in the manual is wrong (it is in the manual that way, but just another example of errors in the official print). Once you hear the last confirming chirp, it doesn't matter what is on the DIC or not, the last chirp indicates that the relearn is finished, turn the switch off and you are done.

If when you now turn your key back on and the DIC TPMS message is still there after all your hard work, the trick is to actually drive the vehicle before the TPM reset is finalized. The manual should at least note this requirement.

If you take more than 5 minutes, you have to start over with the ignition off. If after all this, and the DIC message is still there, you might have a dead battery in one of your sensors.

You can also buy the OTC tpms tool - not cheap though - but if you switch rims and tires out every spring and fall for winter or for wheeling/road wheels yourself, it may well be worth the investment & will saves you a ton of time resetting the sensors using the above procedures and dealing with raising and lowering the air pressure or dealing with the dealership or a tire shop to do it for you.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 AM

I got new tires and they decided to keep those damn TPM things in the new tires. So after that they say well one is broken that's $100 or you can just have a "low tire" on your screen for the rest of your cars life.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Yea, I've read my user manual from front to back, Lol! though I don't think I was awake when reading the process for updating TPMS. I just think that is incredibly one crazy process.

My 2006 TJ X didn't have the TPMS.
Chris

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM

OK...question: What MHz are these tpm supposed to signal at? I've seen some on Ebay at 315 MHz and others at 445 MHz going for about $25 to $36 each. Does the MHz matter?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
Actually, the TPMS relearn instructions in the manual aren't 100% accurate. Here are the instructions that someone else posted somewhere else that I saved a while back:

a) Check tire pressure on all tires to make sure you are at over 38 psi in all tires.
b) Set parking brake
c) Turn on Key, then quickly turn headlamps on and off 4 times
d) 2 horn beeps sound to signal you are now entering the 5 minute calibration mode. The User Manual is wrong since the TPM ICON does NOT FLASH as documented.
e) Go to left front tire and inflate or deflate for least 10 seconds
f) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
g) Go to right front tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
h) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
i) Go to right rear tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
j) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
k) Go to left rear tire and inflate or deflate for at least 10 seconds
l) Wait for beep to signal ready to move on
m) Turn the key to off to lock position - most people would conclude the reset should be done at this point.

Notes:

Doc Olds pointed out to me in the past that step #9 in the manual is wrong (it is in the manual that way, but just another example of errors in the official print). Once you hear the last confirming chirp, it doesn't matter what is on the DIC or not, the last chirp indicates that the relearn is finished, turn the switch off and you are done.

If when you now turn your key back on and the DIC TPMS message is still there after all your hard work, the trick is to actually drive the vehicle before the TPM reset is finalized. The manual should at least note this requirement.

If you take more than 5 minutes, you have to start over with the ignition off. If after all this, and the DIC message is still there, you might have a dead battery in one of your sensors.

You can also buy the OTC tpms tool - not cheap though - but if you switch rims and tires out every spring and fall for winter or for wheeling/road wheels yourself, it may well be worth the investment & will saves you a ton of time resetting the sensors using the above procedures and dealing with raising and lowering the air pressure or dealing with the dealership or a tire shop to do it for you.

Wow, that's a lot of work!! I just took mine the the local Chevy dealer, did the work for free while I waited. Took them 15 min to do.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but has anyone found an affordable place to get this part. Can't believe the cheapest so far is $40 for a stupid sensor. thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?