Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Exhaust Flange bolt seized (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/exhaust-flange-bolt-seized-32744/)

man-of-war 03-16-2014 02:57 PM

Exhaust Flange bolt seized

2 Attachment(s)
I was wondering how to go about removing these studs from this exhaust. I went at it last year with a drill but failed.
I did a transmission filter and fluid change and had to drop the exhaust to remove the transmission pan :mad:
Well the pictures tell the story !!

Attachment 12231

Attachment 12232

jsbihn 03-16-2014 03:18 PM

Man of war,
Not sure what you are asking or maybe what I am seeing.
To me, it looks like you took a c-clamp and used it to hold the exhaust together at the flange. I would assume with all the rust and such, it has been on there for a while.
But again I am sure, what I should be seeing here

man-of-war 03-16-2014 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Notsurewhatusernameyet (Post 309930)
Man of war,
Not sure what you are asking or maybe what I am seeing.
To me, it looks like you took a c-clamp and used it to hold the exhaust together at the flange. I would assume with all the rust and such, it has been on there for a while.
But again I am sure, what I should be seeing here

Your right, your eye's aren't playing tricks with you.

''I was wondering how to go about removing these studs from this exhaust. I went at it last year with a drill but failed.''

Any thoughts on how to go about removing the broken studs from the flange so that I can use a nut and bolt to tighten the flange together the correct way.
I had to improvise and use what I had available to get the Hummer drivable.

calif phil 03-17-2014 08:25 AM

A muffler shop should be able to torch the broken stud out and then you can install a nut and bolt through the hole.

man-of-war 03-17-2014 01:15 PM

I was thinking that as well after failing with the drill,it moves all over the place when I try to work on it.
Now I could convince the wife that I need a Cat Back System. One that wont break like this one.

Throttle Fever 03-17-2014 02:13 PM

Muffler Shop...

Originally Posted by calif phil (Post 309967)
A muffler shop should be able to torch the broken stud out and then you can install a nut and bolt through the hole.

Go to the local muffler shop as stated, give the guy twenty bucks and get it done. Not worth loosing sleep. Or get the cat back system give them $100 bucks to install it and drive away. The shop here just cut off my stock muffler installed my new Magnaflow muffler and built me a new inlet pipe (the one you are having the issue with) for $75 bucks as I sat and drank coffee. Have the tools and skills to do it myself, but $75 bucks, I was not that motivated.

man-of-war 03-18-2014 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When the weather warms up,I'm going to cut off the threaded piece of the broken studs with my grinder cutting wheel then heat + WD-40 + beat the crap out of the stud.
I get highly motivated when it comes to to me giving my money away ;)

Attachment 12218

madmayo 03-19-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by man-of-war (Post 310044)
When the weather warms up,I'm going to cut off the threaded piece of the broken studs with my grinder cutting wheel then heat + WD-40 + beat the crap out of the stud.
I get highly motivated when it comes to to me giving my money away ;)

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...ps461b6ce4.jpg

Weeks before you plan to do it. Start soaking it with something better than wd 40 like PB blaster. Or a mixture of 1/2 acetone 1/2 trans fluid. Spray it on evryday for at least a week before you plan on doing It. When the exhaust is cold.

Also try using a better bit like a cobalt. And hit the bolt with a punch so the bit doesn't walk all over.

Hope this helps

man-of-war 03-19-2014 10:06 PM

Now that's the the down to earth advice I was looking for. ;)
Thanks madmayo I will defiantly try that.

man-of-war 03-28-2014 08:11 AM

FOR WHEN I NEED IT..

H2 OBX Long Tube Header w/ High Flow Cat Install With Pictures - Hummer Forums by Elcova