Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Door handle question (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/door-handle-question-20964/)

constantini7 09-18-2010 04:45 PM

Door handle question

I recently had chrome door handles installed on my 2007 H3. I brought it to a local shop who used to be a GM dealer because the door panel removal scared me a bit. They are trying to charge me for 5 hours of labor, does that seem ridiculous to anyone?

DAGKANA 09-18-2010 05:58 PM

YES!!! Dont pay that! door handles may take 5 mins each!!! Totally ridiculous!!!

whatever 09-18-2010 07:54 PM

Door panel removal is not required to swap out door handles on an H3. I changed all 5 handles in 5 minutes tops! This is an out and out rip off. I would report them to the authorities. This is a great example of what has become of this country.

Tram 09-18-2010 11:19 PM

Well, unfortunately - the shop is charging what the manual tells them to charge.. Whether it takes 2 minutes or 6 weeks there is a "rate" the manual tells them to charge..

Looks like door handles is a 5 hour job...

It is a rip? Yep..

whatever 09-19-2010 08:05 AM

I read a manual once that said a dude walked on water, too.

Widespread Hummer 09-19-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 232937)
Well, unfortunately - the shop is charging what the manual tells them to charge.. Whether it takes 2 minutes or 6 weeks there is a "rate" the manual tells them to charge..

Looks like door handles is a 5 hour job...

It is a rip? Yep..

although its not right, he's right. I assume they are solid handles and he isn't charging you for installing chrome covers, right?

H3DONIST 09-19-2010 11:15 AM

Around here, we have local news stations that love to hear about businesses blatantly ripping off their customers. Sometimes they send crews in to investigate and ask lots of questions and that's the type of publicity that companies don't like. lol

constantini7 09-19-2010 02:32 PM

Yep they are the solid handles and not the covers. Thank you for the response, I just wanted to make sure before I go and 'talk' to them.

whatever 09-19-2010 05:58 PM

Hey, where did the insightful comment go? I love it when people talk out their butt and chime In about things they don't know about. Idiots...

Good luck with the talk. Hope it works out in your favor.

mxhonda 09-20-2010 08:53 AM

Solid handles can easily be a 5 hour job. I installed them on my Alpha and not only does the entire door panel have to come off on all 4 doors, the glass has to be removed from the windows. The only one that was somewhat easy was the back door, but it took some time too.

The hard part is the new pin with e-clips that gets installed where the oem handle snapped in, then there is the linkage.