Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Dog owners, help!!! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/dog-owners-help-9264/)

ZYNE 01-09-2008 06:12 PM

Dog owners, help!!!

Alright, so trying to do some leg work here before my pup shows up and I find myself completely unprepared ....
I'm looking for a dog divider for my H2 so I can devote my trunk area for the dog when she's out with me. I've found a couple online but they seem to be rather flimsy. With a dog expected to end up over 100 lbs when fully grown flimsy is not what I'm looking for ...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good divider not fitting above mentioned description??

shortbus 01-09-2008 06:17 PM

RE: Dog owners, help!!!

with proper training, the flimsy one whould be all you need. once the dog learns that the cargo area is "his/her" place in the truck, it will stay there without the divider. you could also mount some D rings in the floor of the cargo area and attach a lead that will allow your dog to see over the back seat, but not go forward past it - kinda like what you would do if you had it in the back of a pickup (law here in CA). with proper training as a puppy you shouldn't have any worries about your dog leaving the cargo area. just a thought - my boxer (i miss her tons) never climbed over the backseat, without a leash or divider.

juggalo 01-09-2008 06:18 PM

zyne-one thing to consider is that if the flimsy one will hold up as a pup-then it should suffice for a full grown dog. the dog will learn that it is supposed to stay behind the divider and hence do it as a full grown animal even though it could punch through. thats the theory anyway-good luck and what breed are you getting?

3hummers 01-09-2008 06:41 PM

I have used the cargo bars like you would use in the back of a truck bed to keep stuff from sliding all over the bed.for that before. They are usually pretty inexpensive and since your twist to increase the pressure to the level you want you can install them pretty securely. You can also take them out whenever you want. Never used them in my 2 but have in other vehicles.

ZYNE 01-09-2008 06:44 PM

You both have valid points there and in all honesty, I didn't even consider that aspect *duh* The lead is not a bad idea Shorty .. The 3rd row seat fasteners in the floor should be enough to attach a fastener to ...

Juggalo ... we're getting a female Rottweiler .. visited the breeder we're going with just this Sunday and met the two dogs they are breeding for us (and a few others). The male is a big blocky muscular teddy bear of 130 some LBS and the female is a larger(for being a female) 100 some LBS just as blocky and muscular teddy bear as the male is ... I just hope the puppies they produce will end up with the same or similar personalities as they were both very calm, even towards me who is a stranger. We of course are also looking for the tree trunk type,heavy build and big blocky heads as well :)

To give you an idea .. this is the male

[IMG]local://upfiles/1157/5A5D21D9A3D249419D0E8EABA36D860C.jpg[/IMG]

3hummers 01-09-2008 06:49 PM

My dog is an 85# lab so not as big as your rotty but the cargo bars easily did the trick. He can be pretty hard headed and after trying to get through the cargo bars a few times willgave up. A well trained dog probably doesn't need them but my 85# 10 year old puppy does.

thehammerh3 01-09-2008 06:50 PM

You come exactly to the right place, My girlfriend and I adopted a Rott/doberman, and we attached are dog collar with a little clamp to another clamp which connected to the little connectors in the back trunk. Are dog is properly trained nowand he is about 85-95 pds, so as long as we left him some slack hewas perfectly fine and now we just toss him in there (actually he jumps in) and no collar no nothing. Perfect dog as long as u dont invade his turf lol.

ZYNE 01-09-2008 06:58 PM

Yep .. you don't want to mess with a Rottie's turf unless it knows ya first:) One of the many qualities in the Rottie I like, the loyalty to home and master!

thehammerh3 01-09-2008 07:00 PM

Yeah my Rott/dob is trained and very friendly with people and other animals but let another dog run up on him and he will be sorry.
(Same applys to humans lol)

TigerLily 01-09-2008 07:01 PM

Congrats on the pup Zyne! :)

What cha gonna name her? How long before they mate and pups arrive?

The Daddies a real beauty!!