Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   did some plastidip (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/did-some-plastidip-30787/)

staggs 05-14-2013 09:12 PM

my own version, the Staggs Tactical Edition build

5 Attachment(s)
Since the weather finally warmed up and it wasn't raining I finally dipped my wheels, emblems, and front lower bumper. Also bed lined the nerf bars, changed brakes, and did the sides on my subwoofer encloser to match the grey leather piping on my seats.

sneakypigeons 05-15-2013 08:34 AM

looks good! i havnt done my wheels yet but i did my airdam black with plastic dip. I was gonna use it on my grill but decided to use truck bed liner instead. It has a nice texture to it.
How long did the wheels take you and how many coats?

staggs 05-15-2013 06:55 PM

can't really say exactly how long the wheels took, I was changing brake pads in between spraying the wheels. I put four coats on each wheel, the hardest part was lifting the heavy beasts onto my work table. the first one I did not mask off the tire and while you can peel off the overspray from the tire I found it to be a pain because it woul tear at every molded letter or line in the sidewall, the rest I masked off and I recommend doing that.

Old Yeller 05-16-2013 12:34 AM

Looks good staggs. Makes a huge difference once the wheels are blacked out in the looks department. Any sort of break pad upgrade? My fronts need to be replaced soon and just curious on what others are using one their rigs.

staggs 05-16-2013 12:42 AM

nope, mine were the originals with 68k miles on them and one was starting to chatter. I just went with a set of ceramic pads from autozone, they were the mid priced ones for $43. they have cheaper ones that are not ceramic and they have one that is a little more. I haven't noticed any difference in braking for better or worse, but I haven't really taken it on any extended stop and go driving to see how they do once they've heated up.

if you do thm yourself I suggest spending the extra 20 bucks and buying a dual caliper piston tool, because it can be a pain getting all 4 piston compressed using a c clamp, it can be done and that's how I did it, but next time I will actually buy a tool

sneakypigeons 05-16-2013 07:50 AM

old yeller . i just re did my front padsa month or so ago. i decided that i should pay the extra money for good ones since the last ones i got from autozone (their top of the line ones) only lasted 1 1/2 years.
i went with a set of EBC pads, "green stuff". i was gonna do the rotors too but i'll wait till their warped. It cost me around $110. Yes thats expensive but i do alot of driving,mostly city driving were its constant stoping quick. so i deciced to lay down a little extra for some good pads. I can say that they work very well.

Bunger 05-16-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Old Yeller (Post 297372)
... just curious on what others are using one their rigs.

Since most of us have gotten 60-70k miles on the original pads, a lot of us have replaced them with OEM Delcos and hope to get another 60-70k on our second set.
After markets are not always better.

jbwk254 05-16-2013 06:08 PM

nice, i plan on doing this when i get my new tires

Old Yeller 05-16-2013 07:09 PM

Sorry to steal your thread staggs. Thanks everyone I was just curious about what everyone was using. I'll take everyone's opinions into consideration when I get around to changing mine.

lance_214 05-16-2013 09:37 PM

I have what might be considered a stupid question but...Is plastic dip better then painting your wheels with like VHT or Duplicolor and then clear coating. I did my spare tire to see if I would like it and it turned out great. I used VHT but the plastic dip you used Staggs looks just as good. Whats the difference?