Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Deco Hood Handles H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/deco-hood-handles-h3-29145/)

ultraclassic01 10-17-2012 09:46 PM

Deco Hood Handles H3

4 Attachment(s)
I was walking through Lowes and these 16.00 Moen handles where on sale for around 11.00. I remember a forum from someone who had used these on their fake vent hoods. In the discussion was talk of removing the fake vent hood or drilling through the hood to attach the handles. Some of the vent hoods where glued down by GM dealers so removal was not an option. I bought the Moen handles and set them on the workbench for about a week and thought about how I could mount these without taking the fake vent hood off or without drilling into the hood. I noticed that the fake vent hood did not sit flush up against the hood so I took a very small drill bit so a paper clip would slide through it and positioned the handles where I wanted them and dilled 4 small holes going just through the fake vent hood plastic without touching the hood. I then took a straight piece of the paper clip and inserted it till it touched the hood and marked the depth on the paper clip. It was about 3/8" from the fake vent hood to the metal hood. Got four 6x1/2 " stainless steel screws and put some silicon on the bottom of the handles and got just enough bite on the plastic fake vent hood to mount the handles securely.
The handles where scuffed up with sand paper and I used Duplicolor spray truck bed coating for a final coat that has a little texture to it. (Black) It actually matches the fake vent hood quite good.
Remember the height of the screw can be adjusted with some SS washers Because you just want it to bite into the fake vent hood to be secure. (I also ground down the pointed tips on the SS screws so they would be flat just in case!!}
Anyways the end results looks good and the handles are nothing more than a detail fake look for the fake vent hood. They are strong enough so you could actually bungee a bag or something to the handles and hood. If I do not want them on there anymore I will just have 4 small holes in the fake vent hood that I can fill with an epoxy and spray with bed coating. Sorry I did not document the drilling process but the result pictures look really good. A close up of the texture of the bed coating is also shown.

Happy Hummer 10-19-2012 01:10 AM

Nice!
Chris

samkelly 12-01-2012 08:35 AM

its your HUMMER H3

....uh.......yah.....if you like it, thats all that matters.....i personally dont but i understand why you did it...the grab handles online etc for the HUMMER'S are extremely expensive and way over priced....i see it right away that they are cabinet pulls....but as i mentioned, its your Hummer...Enjoy....next you can add a sink and a toilet seat ...only teasing......Have a great day

ultraclassic01 12-25-2012 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Being in Marketing you might appreciate this:

I was zoning up a 4' 8' section of boxed teas and was just amazed at the 40 or so selections of boxed teas. In Walmart terms this means to straighten up or make that section look pretty for all the Walmart customers that want pretty looking shelves (not giving a rat’s ass that they just went up 20 cents.)

I stood back with my hand on my chin and looked and realized that God gave us the ability to have choices and to make choices.

Look! there is a lady making a choice as I speak. Now I tried that tea choice she is about to make and I think it will be a bad choice but then again it is her choice and my bad choice might be her good choice.

Oh my, another person just stepped in front of the boxed tea section getting ready to make a choice. Now this type of choice I have not yet grasped. His hand comes off his chin, (I think a lot of people need their hand on their chin to make a choice) and it slowly extends and it lands on a tea box with the mixed fruit tea bags. He pulls it off the shelf and examines the box and I am thinking that he has made a quick choice since there were 39 other boxes of tea to examine. All of a sudden a have a bad feeling and I think his choice is about to change so he puts the box of tea in his left hand and with his right hand he reaches into the deepest darkest part of the shelf to pull out the same box of tea from the back pushing aside the boxes of tea to the left and right that I just straightened. So in his left hand, is his choice but his mind was telling him that the box way in the back of the shelf will be a better choice, same box, same tea.

By the way the handles are not cabinet pulls but grab handles to assist people getting in and out of a shower or bathtub. If they were cabinet pulls they would be the biggest MFing pulls in the world and the cabinets would have to be 6'x4'.

So I was curious what you think of when you get in your H3 and see that you have 5 grab handles (cabinet pulls) splayed around your Hummer? I thought one could be used as a toilet paper holder to go with the sink and toilet seat. Now this did remind me of a post where a member went to a great deal of work to put a roll out bed in the back of his unit. I guess he did a lot of camping.

This is what happens when Walmart is closed the only day of the year so being a little bored I thought that I would just tease back a little!

Caraddict 12-25-2012 11:10 AM

Nice mod....that dupli color looks great however in a year you will be redoing them...I used the same product on my ladders and recently had them line x'd as they kept peeling in spots....hopefully you have better luck...regardless it looks great!:cool:

H3Ray 12-25-2012 11:55 AM

Great idea and kudos for thinking outside the box, but does anyone have Pics of the real Handles, made by GM? And, how much are the real deal Handles?

Ultra, those Lowes handles look plastic ....?

Are the GM ones steel?

Website to buy the real deal Handles?

ultraclassic01 12-25-2012 02:47 PM

Plastic

2 Attachment(s)
They are plastic but they are made of a heavier plastic than the fake plastic vent hood that they are screwed into.
Remember it was the H2 that needed the handles to pull the hood up towards you so OEM on hood handles probably doe not exist since the hood opens like most of the trucks and cars out there.
You can find a lot of vents and handles at Amazon:
These are $150.00
Here is a review on another billet handle 1 star from Amazon:
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking on H3 but they are pitting after 3 years, April 7, 2011
By BOGY. (Milford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hummer H3 Chrome Billet Hood Handles, Pr. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Installation of the hood handles was tricky but doable to the average Joe. You have to removed the vent cover on the hood then make four holes so you can mount the handles to it. This is nice because you know they are secure and not just stuck to it with double sided 3M tape. However, for a vehicle that is garaged mostly these handles have started to pit badly and it has been three years since they have been installed. I have used Mothers on them over the years to keep them looking nice and this is the result? I believe this is a quality control issue with these handles. No matter what you do they will pit over time and that is sad because my Dad's 1957 Chevy still has original chrome on it that has never pitted. See attached picture that this rating was written about.

So remember folks the vent hood is a fake piece of plastic and strictly for looks on the H3 and the Moen shower grab handles that I put on are fake but it gave it the look I wanted for the price. If I had not seen another person do the same thing in this forum I would not be typing this now.

A lot of the chrome deck vent covers are simply chrome plated plastic with metal handles.

This auction is for one ABS Chrome Plated Hood Deck Vent with Chrome Handles (by Putco) for the 2005-2009 Hummer H3. This chrome accessory is simple to install (no tools needed) with the included 3M automotive grade adhesive tape & 4 metal clips that fasten to your existing piece. Once installed it will not come off. It is manufactured out of lightweight ABS chrome plated plastic. It will never rust and will be one of the best accessories you will ever purchase for your Hummer H3. It comes with a lifetime manufacturer's warranty from Putco.

Thanks for all your feedbacks and have a great New Year

PS So far no pealing of truck bed liner used to spray but if it does it would take about 10 minutes to lightly sand and spray again of course time to mask of the area.

Club Hummer Offroad
This is the site that I first saw the DIY on these Moen vent handles. Lots of pics go with this forum.:)

06lugnut 12-26-2012 11:17 PM

Those look great! Have you considered spraying the entire louver to make it match a little better?

H3Ray 12-26-2012 11:56 PM

Looks great, and at 1/2 the cost of new Handles ... Kudos for thinking outside the box.

ultraclassic01 12-27-2012 06:46 AM

Spraying louver

Originally Posted by 06lugnut (Post 290141)
Those look great! Have you considered spraying the entire louver to make it match a little better?

I wanted to see how the handles held up and not one flake of bed liner has come off so I will probably mask the truck off and spay it next summer. I really like the texture that this Duplicolor bed liner produces. Thanks for the positive input.
Have a wonderful Holiday and best wishes in the New Year!:)