Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   De-chroming my H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/de-chroming-my-h2-33489/)

Jamesm13 07-11-2014 09:51 AM

De-chroming my H2

I have a white 2005 H2 that I want to de-chrome. Any suggestions? I want a matte black finish.

tharber 07-11-2014 09:56 AM

Plasti Dip

Caraddict 07-11-2014 01:58 PM

Line x...make sure you get the sealer unless you like a flat black look...

Jamesm13 07-11-2014 03:06 PM

Thanks

Looking into Line-X

LoJac963 07-11-2014 03:55 PM

Yes don't waste your time with Plasti Dip. I find it only good to see how something will look black but its not for permanent use. Another nice route is Dupli Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel. Strong stuff and has a great finish, nice and matte. That's what I did my stock wheels in after I ripped the crap Plasti Dip off.

H3Ray 07-12-2014 03:37 AM

Great topic. I'm in the same situation. Is Dupli Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel the best way to paint over chrome? Is sanding before spraying advisable? How do you prep the parts? Removal or tape around and spray?

LoJac963 07-12-2014 03:56 AM

That's the color I like, its a nice matte black but very durable. I have yet to have a chip or anything on my wheels since spraying them. You should always at least scuff everything you plan on spraying to give it a little something extra to grab onto.

I like using the 3m pads (red) since they are flexible and they easily scuff surfaces.

If the part is removable it would be best to remove the part, prep it, paint it, let it cure, then reinstall the part. Other pieces you'd need to mask the hell out of the surrounding parts. Overspray can always be removed with a good quality clay bar if need be.

madmayo 07-15-2014 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LoJac963 (Post 314872)
Yes don't waste your time with Plasti Dip. I find it only good to see how something will look black but its not for permanent use. Another nice route is Dupli Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel. Strong stuff and has a great finish, nice and matte. That's what I did my stock wheels in after I ripped the crap Plasti Dip off.

Totally agree on the plastidip with the exception of emblems. It's on my h2 grill,handles, mirrors,emblems and rear bezel. It is good for like stated avove seeing if that's the way you want to go.

My grill stood up to pressure washing but not a swarm of bugs at speed, handles have started to roll from behind. Mirrors don't like bugs much either. The emblems are holdin g up well and rear bezel.

At least I know the chromes gotta go.

Jamesm13 07-15-2014 05:54 PM

Im talking to the guy here in Nashville about Line X ing the stuff I want. Will report back if and when I pull the trigger on it.

ak47dennis 07-15-2014 09:41 PM

Yeah don't waste your time with Plasti-Dip thats for half a-s ricer crap.

Go with Line-X, I just did my rock sliders/side steps & grill guard.
Once my Deuce comes back from the paint shop I am getting both the front & rear bumpers done (including the plastic parts) including the black side moldings.

Line-X is incredible stuff.