Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Connect horn to the air suspension system? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/connect-horn-air-suspension-system-5648/)

pexter 05-30-2007 02:45 AM

Connect horn to the air suspension system?

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a train horn to the air suspension system on the H2? Is the pressure high enough?

Thanks

/Peter

MRDM1 06-03-2007 10:08 AM

RE: Connect horn to the air suspension system?

I GOT NO IDEA BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE A MESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Linus Gump 06-03-2007 07:47 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, no. I dont know what the operating pressure of the air system is on the H2, but I will bet it is nowhere near the 120 psi needed for those commercially available train horns. You also need a large supply because they require a lot of volume to make them work properly. Everyone I know who has put one onthier semi needed to run 1/2 inch ID tubing to it to make it work right.

Dennis 06-03-2007 09:57 PM

And secondly...It would honk everytime you would hit a heavy bump...:D

a04h2 07-28-2007 01:32 AM

I HAVE MY TRAIN HORNS CONNECTED TO MY AIR SUSPENSION, THE ONLY REQUIREMENT YOU NEED FOR THE HORNS TO SOUND GOOD IS A BIG ENOUGH AIR RESERVOIR TANK. BUT HOWEVER THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THE HORNS AND THE TANK, I HAVE FIVE HORNS AND A CUSTOM BUILT TANK BY ME, IT WORKS PERFECT. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK THE HORN WILL SOUND WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP, YOU ARE MISTAKEN, THE SOLENOID IS ON THE HORNS BETWEEN THE TANK AND THE HORNS, THEY WILL NOT SOUND UNLESS YOU ACTIVATE THE SOLENOID.

pmalla5 07-28-2007 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: a04h2

I HAVE MY TRAIN HORNS CONNECTED TO MY AIR SUSPENSION, THE ONLY REQUIREMENT YOU NEED FOR THE HORNS TO SOUND GOOD IS A BIG ENOUGH AIR RESERVOIR TANK. BUT HOWEVER THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THE HORNS AND THE TANK, I HAVE FIVE HORNS AND A CUSTOM BUILT TANK BY ME, IT WORKS PERFECT. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK THE HORN WILL SOUND WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP, YOU ARE MISTAKEN, THE SOLENOID IS ON THE HORNS BETWEEN THE TANK AND THE HORNS, THEY WILL NOT SOUND UNLESS YOU ACTIVATE THE SOLENOID.

yo that sounds awesome how much work is involved and how many gallon resivor tank do you need for it to work, oh and if you want to install a regualr air horn is the requirement the same?

a04h2 08-01-2007 09:15 AM

my tank is about 2.5 gallon. the longer you want to blow the horns, the bigger the tank you need. so if you only plan on having one horn a tank my size will sound for a long time, e.g. 30 seconds or more, but with 5 horns, maybe ten seconds. The pressure is available from the suspension, the only thing that matters is how much can you can constantly give to the horns.

pmalla5 08-01-2007 11:19 AM

will it affect thhe suspension in anyway?

a04h2 08-01-2007 06:06 PM

no not directly, but if your air lines, your tank or your solenoid you install has any leaks at the connections and the compressor runs to long to compensate for the air loss it will flash check air suspension. but if your system you install doesn't leak you will not have any problems. also where mine is connected is behind the right rear fender liner there is a small 3/16 black air line that has a straight quick connector, i removed that and installed a t-connector that i purchased at home depot in the section that sells the brass fittings and such, the t-connector however is white plastic, i believe it is used for water connections to refridgerators with an ice maker and water in the door feature.