Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Chrome ABS mirrors & door handles on Ebay (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/chrome-abs-mirrors-door-handles-ebay-6226/)

Northerner 07-10-2007 07:29 PM

Chrome ABS mirrors & door handles on Ebay

Has anyone purchased them and have them on their H3?

Just wondering if they are worth looking into.

I bought the small chrome grill and although it stay's on, I found that because there is a slight curvature in the bumper that the ends did not adhere as I would have liked.

I also bought the Hummer lettering that fits into the recessed moulding and it came with a small tube of glue which has held up well.

Anyone have any best practises in that regard would be helpful too.:D

Mark

jng1226 07-10-2007 08:53 PM

RE: Chrome ABS mirrors & door handles on Ebay

I just installed the PUTCO brand of chrome door handles on my 07 H3. They fit very well although you have to take a bit of care when installing them since they are tight slip-fit over the existing door handles and the red 3M tape is on the inside of the handle so wherever it contacts the door handle is where it will stay. They seem to be of very good quality although being made of ABS plastic I hope the Chrome plating does not chip or flake off too soon. Only time will tell, unless some other forum member here can shed some light on the topic.

I would like to know as I would probably get the PUTCO chrome mirror covers to complete the faux "chrome package".

Jeff

HummBob 07-11-2007 03:04 AM

ORIGINAL: jng1226

I just installed the PUTCO brand of chrome door handles on my 07 H3. They fit very well although you have to take a bit of care when installing them since they are tight slip-fit over the existing door handles and the red 3M tape is on the inside of the handle so wherever it contacts the door handle is where it will stay. They seem to be of very good quality although being made of ABS plastic I hope the Chrome plating does not chip or flake off too soon. Only time will tell, unless some other forum member here can shed some light on the topic.

I would like to know as I would probably get the PUTCO chrome mirror covers to complete the faux "chrome package".

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

The PUTCO stuff holds up REAL WELL!!

I have a Billet Hood Deck on my H2, but take it off in the winter as to not F%#@ up the CHROME so I have a PUTCO ABS one for winter. 3 winters now, and still looks like the day I bought it!!

jng1226 07-11-2007 04:19 AM

Hummbob,

That is great, thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm calling Clarence back at G-Style...

Jeff

HUMMER DRIVER 07-11-2007 07:31 AM

I have both the mirror set and handle set, both look great. Save a ton of cash over factory chrome.

HummBob 07-11-2007 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jng1226

Hummbob,

That is great, thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm calling Clarence back at G-Style...

Jeff
Anytime!!!;)

coreyc 07-18-2007 12:02 AM

so do the chrome mirror and handle covers look just like the factory ones? Do they also cover up as much as the factory ones? Because I saw one with the chrome mirror covers and they didnt cover up the whole mirror the inside part towards the window? How much do the doorhandles cover up? My service manager tried telling me that the door handle covers dont cover up all the way to the back? Is that true? Im considering buying some chrome mirror and handle covers. I dont know how they would look or if they would look too cheesy on the hummer.

D VADER 07-18-2007 06:38 AM

If any of your letters or grill etc comes loose, 3M make a great glue for this purpose. I got mine at Advance Auto.

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/ZZ2200.jpg

Dennis 07-18-2007 07:34 AM

Good to know Bob..thanks;)

jng1226 07-18-2007 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: coreyc

so do the chrome mirror and handle covers look just like the factory ones? Do they also cover up as much as the factory ones? Because I saw one with the chrome mirror covers and they didnt cover up the whole mirror the inside part towards the window? How much do the doorhandles cover up? My service manager tried telling me that the door handle covers dont cover up all the way to the back? Is that true? Im considering buying some chrome mirror and handle covers. I dont know how they would look or if they would look too cheesy on the hummer.
Corey - I have the Putco chrome door handle covers, and they do cover the entire handle. I was just at the dealership getting my oil changed and I was looking at other H3s (including the Alpha - yawn), and the factory OEM chrome handle covers do not go all the way around the back of the handles. They do, however, have a flush fit on the back side where they meet the black plastic and "feel" smoother. The Putco covers are a tight slip-fit and do not fit flush so you can feel the edges on the inside of the handle when you open the doors. They're not sharp or anything, but you can feel it. I have no fear of them coming off, however, because they fit very tight even withouth the red 3M adhesive so if you prep it right they should stay on I would think.

I also inspected the factory Chrome mirrors and those do appear to be chromed even behind the mirror, at least the inch or so you can see past it. I don't have the mirror covers yet but I could see where you would probably be able to see where the cover stopped and the black mirror edge would start. Practically, I think if you were 5-10 feet away you would not notice unless you were side-by-side with a factory one and were looking. Anyone out there have any pictures of the aftermarket Chrome mirror covers they can share with us?

Jeff