Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Changing out an airfilter (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/changing-out-airfilter-27163/)

nlhummer 03-05-2012 06:58 PM

Changing out an airfilter

Today I tried to pop off my airfilter housing (since I have a new filter on order.)
Loosened the 2 screws however the top does not want to come off. Any trick to this? I am replacing it with an amsoil filter

nlhummer 03-06-2012 09:15 PM

No one wrenching on their own trucks?

LoJac963 03-07-2012 02:20 AM

its a royal PITA in my opinion. That top brace holds the lid down onto the air box. If you wiggle the lid enough it should pop out but the real trick is getting the lid back on.

I was going to replace my filter with a reusable like it sounds like you're doing but the difficulty in removing the lid led me to an entire new intake.

Went with the Volant. Still pulls cool air from the stock location while being able to take 4 screws out to check/clean the filter and replace.

Kinda expensive just for convenience but still well worth it IMO.

nlhummer 03-07-2012 12:54 PM

I tried again and with a little more wiggling it came off. I cleaned it all out, popped the new filter in and popping the lid back on was easy actually.
My hummer can breathe again

VegasGuy 03-07-2012 03:51 PM

Yes, checking the air filter is a real PITA. If you ask me, some engineer screwed up the clearances. I checked mine a couple of months ago and found it necessary to loosen a bolt on the hood (fender? can't remember for sure.) bracket.

nlhummer 03-12-2012 08:12 PM

That would have be migh next option, but a little twisting and pulling worked for me

LoJac963 03-13-2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by VegasGuy (Post 273618)
Yes, checking the air filter is a real PITA. If you ask me, some engineer screwed up the clearances. I checked mine a couple of months ago and found it necessary to loosen a bolt on the hood (fender? can't remember for sure.) bracket.

yup, the last time I went to check mine (which looked like it was never changed) I actually had to REMOVE that bracket that goes from the firewall to the fender. At that point I said screw it and ordered the Volant. Volant reusable filter with a pre-filter and everything is great!

fyr145 03-14-2012 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by nlhummer (Post 273497)
Today I tried to pop off my airfilter housing (since I have a new filter on order.)
Loosened the 2 screws however the top does not want to come off. Any trick to this? I am replacing it with an amsoil filter

Yes, there is a small trick to getting the air filter cover off. After loosening the 2 screws, take the extra minute to loosen the hood stop bracket thats just above the cover right next to it, I believe its just 4 screws. If you loosen or remove this simple bracket, the air cover lifts right off.