Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   AM I the only one that has trouble getting the fuse box lid off? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/am-i-only-one-has-trouble-getting-fuse-box-lid-off-18277/)

JBROEREN 02-13-2010 01:21 AM

AM I the only one that has trouble getting the fuse box lid off?

So, I was trying to open the Fuse Box to check my fuse for the non working heated seats.. Why can't I get the stinkin' thing off?:mad: Anyone else have trouble with this? I just want to pry it open to see the #1 fuse and hope it needs a new one!! Then problem solved!

Tonyg41 02-13-2010 03:35 AM

You need to push the tabs on both sides in and pull the lid up. Dont push tabs out or they break like the mechanic at dealership did to my fuse box. The tab on the right side is kinda tricky since there is not much space to get your hand in there.

Broken Halo 02-13-2010 07:22 AM

As an automotive engineer, I can tell you that this is a very poor design! I've already broken the tabs on mine, and had to get a replacement lid. When you push the tabs outward on one end, and try to lift, it engages the tabs on the other end even more. The trick is to try and lift straight up as much as possible. What I do now, is to release the tabs closest to the fender, first, as this end is very hard to get your hand into. When that end is released, I let it sit on the tabs, without lifting, and then release the tabs on the opposite end, and lift both ends straight up. The tendency is to push the tabs harder, because it seams as if they're not releasing, and then they break:mad:

dlinden200 02-13-2010 06:07 PM

Yup, Broke mine off also. Now I use a bunjee cord.

mikehartigan 02-15-2010 05:30 PM

ditto that!

Zip Tie Man5 02-15-2010 07:11 PM

mine are broken as well, I use zip ties to hold it down,, lol as per my user name :)

tangodown 02-16-2010 07:12 PM

lol, i thought i was just a reject for breaking mine.. now i feel better. a new lid is on my list for next time its in for whatever service is needed.

Zip Tie Man5 02-16-2010 08:24 PM

lol you are not alone my friend, those tabs that are holding it shut are a bull**** stupid unnecessary design !!!

D VADER 02-18-2010 07:59 AM

FYI- when the heated seats failed on my '07 H3 it turned out the driver's seat had run over on of the wires which was on the seat rails and shorting it out. Yes, blew the fuse too.

jklee 07-09-2010 01:17 AM

the fuse box tab design is poor ..

My GM dealer technician broke the tabs .... when looking for a fuse fault for the vehicle ignition

VQ35DE 07-10-2010 06:52 AM

I broke mine too. Got a new cover.

talusfan 07-10-2010 12:31 PM

Don't really see the big deal, put the beer down, use both hands to release all 4 tabs at once and it pops right off. I've had mine off a hundred times.

jasonus03 08-29-2010 12:50 AM

Broke two tabs off mine. I still have two good tabs left :p

After that, I'll bust out the duct tape :cool:

Autopilot 08-30-2010 09:35 AM

Ive had mine off about 5 times and never had a problem. Its real easy if you can get an extra set of hands to helfp you.

beltwaybob 10-05-2011 10:41 AM

So if I break the tabs, will the cover stay in place?

My seats don't heat. In the owner's manual it says there is a circuit breaker under the driver's seat and that fuse f1 is for heated seats. I can't find a circuit breaker under the seat and I can't get the stupid cover off of the fuse box. Ay caramba!

Doc Olds 10-05-2011 11:45 AM

Yo Bob, LOOK at this https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...bumping-23221/

I guess it is October and Halloween is just around the corner so thought of reviving dead things may be in the subconscious, but a conscious effort would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

beltwaybob 10-06-2011 07:40 AM

Duh, I did a search. How else did I "Necro-Bump"? So:

In the thread, some folks say to just the tabs off and then some folks say they busted em off and bought a new cover. What th.... ? If you are someone who posted, you have YOUR solution but I'm stupid. I don't know if you have to buy a new cover if you bust the tabs off. So I bumped. (how old is too old to bump?)

I certainly don't want to break the rules, Halloween or not, but if the search turns up conflicting information, do I start a new thread or bump? Or ???
Bob

Doc Olds 10-06-2011 07:55 AM

Maybe you should go back and read the Necro Bump thread again??

You bumped a thread over one year old. Instead, start a new thread and link the old one if you would like, please don't resurect the dead.

Thank you and enjoy the forums.

Widespread Hummer 10-06-2011 02:03 PM

Bob I don't think breaking them is the technical way to go about it.

Broken Halo 10-06-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer (Post 262030)
Bob I don't think breaking them is the technical way to go about it.

Are you SURE that's not what 'THE MANUAL' tells you to do??:D:D:D:rolleyes:;)

beltwaybob 10-07-2011 06:25 AM

OK thanks everyone. I'll avoid morbid practices.
I still can't get the lid off. I don't always have a friend to help push tabs.
What a goofy thing.
Bob

kurteken 10-07-2011 11:03 AM

I broke my clips as well.
Before i figured it out, one broke :-((

06RedH3 12-09-2012 09:04 AM

I tried for 2 mins in 30 degree weather and have given up to avoid cutting myself and freezing my hands and hence came here, i think that shows its bad design.

Dawgpoundh2 01-11-2017 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyg41 (Post 217421)
You need to push the tabs on both sides in and pull the lid up. Dont push tabs out or they break like the mechanic at dealership did to my fuse box. The tab on the right side is kinda tricky since there is not much space to get your hand in there.

I could use some help with this as I don't know iF I'm doing it correct (opening inside fuse box) could you contact me and kinda walk me thru this I'd appreciate it.

TAINTER 01-11-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dawgpoundh2 (Post 341522)
I could use some help with this as I don't know iF I'm doing it correct (opening inside fuse box) could you contact me and kinda walk me thru this I'd appreciate it.

REALLY? You are going to post in a 5 year old thread and ask someone who hasn't even been on this website since 2011to contact you and walk you through removal of the fuse box lid? REALLY?:eek:

Doc Olds 01-12-2017 08:51 AM

FIVE YEAR OLD Thread ALERT!

Let's see..... push in on both tabs on one side, lift that side slightly, then push in on both tabs on the other side and lift off completely. Easier to do when warm.

Shipping is complicated, fuse box lids.... not so much. :rolleyes:

happythree 01-12-2017 11:21 PM

i broke mine off first try, use a block of wood to hold it down. junky system,brittle plastic.