Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   4wd Service issue..... (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/4wd-service-issue-33823/)

rhinomike 09-16-2014 06:32 PM

4wd Service issue.....

I bought my 16 year old son a 2004 H2. It has 25,000 miles on it. Perfect showroom condition.

A few days ago he got a Service 4wd message. I disconnected the battery cable thinking it might of been a false alarm. Three days later his 4wd selector light indicates Neutral. When we hit the 4wd the light blinks for several minutes and then goes back to Neutral. The vehicle drives fine and don't seem to have any problems.

It does this on and off for the last 3 days. I drove it right now. The neutral light was lit up. I hit the 4wd button and it lit up after a few flashes. Turned it off and got back in 15 minutes later and the neutral light was back on. Hit the 4wd button and the light flashed for a minute then went back to neutral.

Any ideas? Should I just tell him to drive it or should I get it to the shop? Thanks everyone.

ant69 09-16-2014 07:58 PM

quick check of 4WD button is good start also you could take it off the pavement get it in and out of 4wd and drive it a little. Could be many things but it won't cost anything to try to free up a solenoid that might be a lil sticky from not being driven, and a ten year old 4wd with only 25,000 hasn't been driven too much and probably not off road. I had a similar issue with my Ford. Of course there could be a sensor on the T-case somewhere confused as to which mode you're in. I remember seeing a thread somewhere about someone that continued to just drive for a few years until they replaced the sensor. I wouldn't do that though cuz I have really bad luck.

hmer 09-16-2014 08:09 PM

in my case since i got my 2 there was a weird bit of a high rev when shifting gears and one day the service 4wd message came on and all i did was put it on neutral went thru all the 4wd options without moving the truck turn it off and back on an the message went away along with the high rev . to think i was about to dump over 1k$ just to have someone check everything ...

rhinomike 09-16-2014 08:43 PM

Thanks guys. I will try both those ideas and report back.

rhinomike 09-17-2014 02:28 PM

One other question. When the red light is lit for Neutral..... What exactly does that mean? The vehicle still drives fine. Does it mean the front diff (4wd) is not engaged?

rhinomike 09-18-2014 10:44 AM

Bump. Anyone.

Jerry14 09-18-2014 11:00 AM

Hi, I had this problem a couple of months ago. My 4WD light would go yellow to red. Put in N and listen if you can hear your 4WD locking when you press high and low and back to AWD, and see how long it takes for it switch back to N (red)

rhinomike 09-18-2014 01:35 PM

I don't have AWD. Just 4h, and front lockers. 3 buttons. That's why I am confused when the red light is lit and it says Neutral. Does that mean it's in 2wd? I didn't think that was possible since it doesn't have a 2wd option.

rhinomike 09-18-2014 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 7717

This is what it looks like.

Allterrainblue07 09-18-2014 08:32 PM

I had the same issue came up a couple years ago, come to find out one of my button was slightly depressed, "popped it back out" hadn't happen since.

Dan