Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   03 Hummer h2 won't start in extreme cold (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/03-hummer-h2-wont-start-extreme-cold-32269/)

Shaneramsden 01-05-2014 08:23 PM

03 Hummer h2 won't start in extreme cold

I live in Yellowknife, the truck was starting fine until we had a cold snap of -40 days, the truck just cranks over and won't start, truck has oil pan heater block heater and battery blanket, I checked all fuses and none are blown, you can ear the fuel pump prime, any idea why it's not kicking over? I took the vehicle into a warm garage for a few hours and then the truck started fine but had a wonky idle like it was struggling to idle the interior lights were like going dim and not dim, and when i move around the mas air it
Seems to affect the idle by moving the plug that clips
On?

bosch 01-05-2014 08:32 PM

How old is the battery. Low volts will cause all kinds of problems .
You might have one bad cell. Start at the beginning,
Fuel. Pump is running, will the engine crank yes or no.
A dim light when cranking sounds like a battery or ground problem.
Last is air flow , if all else is working fine. It would be interesting to try
A hot air gun into the air filter to see if warm air allows it to start. Mike

ak47dennis 01-06-2014 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shaneramsden (Post 306587)
I live in Yellowknife, the truck was starting fine until we had a cold snap of -40 days, the truck just cranks over and won't start, truck has oil pan heater block heater and battery blanket, I checked all fuses and none are blown, you can ear the fuel pump prime, any idea why it's not kicking over? I took the vehicle into a warm garage for a few hours and then the truck started fine but had a wonky idle like it was struggling to idle the interior lights were like going dim and not dim, and when i move around the mas air it
On?

Well since you say it cranks over but still fails to start but once you got it an "warm garage" it started fine. I have heard about gas with excessive water in it freezing in the lines? I have never experencied it since Pennsylvania winters are 15-35 degrees, but I have heard of it happening.

Shaneramsden 01-06-2014 01:36 PM

Do you think this issue could be anything to do with the mass air flow being bad?

BlackOps2005 01-06-2014 03:38 PM

I have a similar problem.I changed the oil/filter and I washed it after to clean it up. Well, now everytime I want to start it I a tik,tik,tik...like the starter or battery is going bad, it wasn't doing it before. I had the battery chaeck by the dealer and is fine. After I started one time and runs is fine. I check the starter for loose cables or jsu rust and nothing. Will see what happen...

calif phil 01-07-2014 07:58 AM

tick tick tick is usually a sign of a weak battery. Did you leave the key partly turned on while washing it?

BlackOps2005 01-08-2014 09:47 AM

No, it was completely out. I had the battery checked and they said it was ok. I took over last week for something else and they guy told that sounded like the starter or flyway, so I don't have any idea yet what it is.:cool:

ak47dennis 01-08-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOps2005 (Post 306708)
No, it was completely out. I had the battery checked and they said it was ok. I took over last week for something else and they guy told that sounded like the starter or flyway, so I don't have any idea yet what it is.:cool:

If you suspect its the starter, just replace it. They are cheap and easy to get to and are a high wear item. I doubt its the flexplate.

Yellow H2 01-10-2014 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shaneramsden (Post 306587)
On?

All the things you mentioed here happened to mine, began from sitting for a few days in -40 and not starting, lights dimming etc so i charged up the batteries all the way and now it wasnt idling smoothly sort of like vibrating. I got my batteries checked they were fine, they jusy cleaned up the minor corrision on the terminals and when i restarted everything was back to normal.

BlackOps2005 01-13-2014 10:37 AM

I'm retouching my hood, once is out of the shop I'll look into the starter and replace it if needed.