PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-tuning anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Default Self-tuning anyone?

Hi all - new member here with a Black/Morocco/Lux/Adventure Alpha H3 ordered last month, built the 15th of this month and about to be delivered.

I'm a long-time member of the Corvette forum with lots of mods to C5 vettes under my belt including exhaust, h/c, s/c, suspension, etc. I also do my own tuning on myCorvettes includingSD and CLwith EFI Live although I also own my own HPT license. That means I shouldbe able to tap into the Alpha's PCM to adjust for mods and optimize the tuning.

In the couple of months I've lurked here researching whether to go for the GCSRT8, FJ or the H3, I haven't really seen any tuners (other than the PCMforless and other pro tuners)post here and was wondering if any of you use HPT to do your own PCM tuing since it does work on the I5 of previous-year H3's. Hope I'm not the first . . .

[IMG]local://upfiles/3400/F122CAB9FA0E410F9CD056774D8B80D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Default RE: Self-tuning anyone?

Welcome and post pics

Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM

You certainly wouldn't be the first - there is a lot to be had in the tuning of the H3. Hptuners is a great program - and if you're already familiar with it that's even better.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:25 AM

EFI Live has recently been updated to support the '08 5.3L Alpha H3 now in the V2 format of the hardware/software so I've elected to upgrade that license. HPT already supports my Alpha so that's a freebie.

I already have an Innovate LC-1 that I was planning on installing in the wife's C5 but I may just pop this into the H3 as it has the narrowband simulation capability so no extra bung is required. I do have an extra bung in the C5 headers I installed so I have more options in what to put in that car.

Anyone scanned/tuned an Alpha yet?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Update - ordered the EFILive V2 upgrade to be able to scan and tune the E67 ECM in the Alpha. They have incorporated a virtual VE table to compensate for the VE coefficients which were a pain to work with. The VE table can be modified just like other ECM VE tables (like in my '02 vettes) and EFILive calculates the new coefficients based on the corrections (I'm assumingBEN factors)and uploads them with the rest of the tune when it's transferred to the ECM. All the previous 3D maps, tables etc. are present so the open loop tuning process should be the same as what we were previously accustomed to. According to the developers, HP Tuners has always incoporated a translation to get around dealing with the coefficients so no update needed there.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 PM

I'd be interested in before and after data. Have you dynoed it to see what stock numbers are. When I get the time, I plan on dynoing for stock numbers. Just started looking for a dyno in the metroplex area.I haven't used EFI Live before, more familar with SCT. How easy or difficult is it to use.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Haven't dynoed mine. Do you have a 4x4-capable dyno around you?I seriously doubt there's one near me - just a couple of standard 2wd versions.

As tuning software goes, EFI is one of the easier packages to learn - regardless, there's still that steep learning curve required to become proficient. Initially, I want to see what the base tune is and how conservative GM was in tuning the 5.3 L in the Alpha and how much power was left on the table. I'm sure the tuning shops are busy getting up to speed on the Alpha. Mods like intakes and headers are a ways off yet so there's time to get familiar with it.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM

Theres supposed to be a couple in the area. Haven't had a chance to look for one yet.
I'll post the numbers when I get it dynoed. I'm curious to see what the drivetrain loss
is going to be. Keep us updated on your findings with the tuning.

Thanks Donnie